Poll

Shoud Karma be kept?

Yes.
No, it should be removed in the "Light" theme.
No, it should be ultimately removed.

Author Topic: Karma  (Read 7810 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Based on the poll in this topic, it looks like karma is the least popular among forum members.

What are your thoughts? Should this feature still be kept, or should it be removed?
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Karma
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 04:58:12 PM »
Other question: What is and what does this "karma" feature?  ???

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 05:49:21 PM »
Under people's avatars, there are buttons marked "applaud" and "smite" that allow you to approve or disapprove of their post, and a karma meter, which measures the number of times someone has clicked these buttons.

I want it to be removed. The system doesn't work for a board this small. There's no way to tell which particular post was approved or disapproved of, so it doesn't help people who make mistakes to amend their behaviour. There's no incentive for people to use the system, so a majority of good posts are never applauded and it's mostly luck whether you get a +1. This means that if anyone gets negative karma, it's very difficult for them to erase it even if they make lots of good posts.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 08:01:32 PM »
There was a parallel thread going on amongst staff to do the same.  I'll give the poll a few days to settle just in case, and then act accordingly.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 04:46:45 PM »
It looks like the votes are pretty unanimous in favor of removing it...

Also, thanks for mentioning the "lite" theme. This is something I had entirely forgotten about, and will have to get onto at some point. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 05:01:07 PM »
Thanks!   :thumbsup:

I'll lock the poll now.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 09:42:58 PM »
It looks like the votes are pretty unanimous in favor of removing it...

Great, thanks man! I was going to applaud you because of removing the karma system but then realized that I can't... :P

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2023, 10:36:39 PM »
Karma seems to have come back, even though there was no discussion on this, as far as I've seen. Or is this an April fool in the middle of July?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2023, 10:39:18 PM »
I rooted around the settings today for homepage thread counts and to disable calendar. I don't remember reactivating karma, but I must have done it by accident.

Now karma should be off again.

Good catch, and sorry!

-- Simon