Author Topic: Smileys for the 2015 forum  (Read 31488 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Smileys for the 2015 forum
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2015, 11:59:10 PM »
I say  :lix-mystery: should be renamed "Emo Lix". :P
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 12:08:55 AM »
Also, I wonder whether there might be some people who are simply more used to just typing out :) for the commonly used smileys because that's how they'd have to do it in other mediums like IRC. 

Those people are also used to their smileys being seen as written. :)

Isn't that more about the client software they may be using?  I imagine some IRC clients may have the feature to automatically convert common smiley encodings into graphics exactly like what the forum is doing to posts.  On the flip side, historically speaking we know that :) was used precisely because it was the only way at the time to display the smiley, rather than being an expressed desire to show off ASCII art.

Also, while I mentioned IRC, it may also be worth considering the case of people using other SMF and similar forums.  I could be wrong but I presume on most such forums, the settings are left at the defaults in which the common encodings are recognized and automatically displayed as graphics.

I will concede the point though that ultimately this (ie. what to do with common smiley encodings) involves what is essentially a user preference setting, one which doesn't currently exist from what I can tell.  (There is one that applies to the post itself, but it must be set on a post-by-post fashion and cannot be applied on a finer granularity.)  Maybe namida is onto something when he proposed we modified the forum software?

Anyhow, since the new smileys are now available, as far as I care my work is done.  The rest can be taken care of by others. ;)

Offline keiya

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2015, 12:54:33 AM »
I say  :lix-mystery: should be renamed "Emo Lix". :P

life is pain  :lix-wink:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2015, 01:06:57 AM »
:lix-emo:

...I couldn't resist adding it. :P
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 01:41:50 AM »
Also, I wonder whether there might be some people who are simply more used to just typing out :) for the commonly used smileys because that's how they'd have to do it in other mediums like IRC. 

Isn't that more about the client software they may be using?  I imagine some IRC clients may have the feature to automatically convert common smiley encodings into graphics exactly like what the forum is doing to posts.

Then they have already consented that their smileys will look different to them than they do to other people. Only they -- and anyone else with the same client -- will see the smiley.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 05:09:37 AM »
IRC with inline graphical smileys? :sick:

Always always always always always design as if people will use it for n years, not 2 weeks.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:46:21 AM by Simon »

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2015, 07:42:32 AM »

I don't do the whole IRC thing, but that's how I write my smileys here... :P

Are we now not having the commonly-accepted standard way of writing them auto-convert to the graphical ones anymore, or am I misunderstanding? :lem-mindblown:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2015, 11:15:07 AM »
No, nothing's changed (at least not that I'm aware of; one of the other admins may have changed something). It's possible to turn smileys off on a per-post basis, or even make smileys (and formatting tags) be ignored for part of a post by surrounding that part with [nobbc][/nobbc] tags.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2015, 04:41:19 PM »
Should there also be a Zombie Lemming emoticon in the style of Doomsday Lemmings?
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2015, 01:24:49 PM »
^ Seems I missed that post. I dunno, I don't think there's too much need for it? If people feel otherwise, I could add it.

Anyway, I did add three new smileys that may be useful when discussing NeoLemmix talismans. (And - just for the record - if there's any similar ones that may be useful for other lemmings clones, don't hesitate to ask!)

:tal-bronze: :tal-silver: :tal-gold:

The codes are :tal-bronze: :tal-silver: :tal-gold: respectively.

(Should perhaps more relating to lemmings stats etc be added, so that rather than spell out "Lemmings" "Save requirement" "Time" etc, we can just have smileys of icons for them when discussing these things?)
My Lemmings projects