Author Topic: must be signed in to Search/stupid verification  (Read 4120 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
must be signed in to Search/stupid verification
« on: May 10, 2015, 11:06:41 PM »
when somebody has time could they remove this useless feature?

Sometimes I want to search the forum and I'm not signed in so this thing pops up where I have to go through the captcha code and answer questions. It's not as bad for me cause I'm a member but for non-members they have to go through all that. Seems totally useless and annoying imo.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: must be signed in to Search/stupid verification
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 12:26:13 AM »
:agree:

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 02:43:08 AM »
I'm not going to remove the registration or first-post verification, but I'll see what I can do about the search.

EDIT: Done.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 08:18:38 AM »
It is kind of strange now that you brought it up, is there some kind of DDOS scenario the captcha on search was meant to mitigate?  Hopefully not, I guess we'll find out.

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 08:40:36 AM »
Against attacks, there is a 5-second wait enforced between two queries.

namida: Thanks!

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 09:12:11 AM »
Theoretically, yes. In practice, no, not anything that's likely to happen. It was initially a safeguard against automated guest searches (not nessecerially malicious; more likely search engine crawlers and the like) running up large amounts of bandwidth/resource usage costs; but since these are quite low as-is, it won't hurt to at least trial turning it off. Since I can definitely see how it'd be annoying, if any problems do occur I'll see if there's a less-intrusive solution.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 11:10:06 PM »
thanks a lot!

It's really not that big of a deal so if it must be re-instituted someday I won'd be sad. It was just one of those little things that usually made me say "forget it" because I honestly don't have time to poke around on the internet anymore.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain