Author Topic: Family Feud 2015  (Read 139863 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Family Feud 2015
« Reply #150 on: June 10, 2015, 09:28:05 PM »
Explanation: George Bush may refer to George Bush senior or to Geroge W. Bush. So Geroge W. Bush is a subclass of George Bush. (Huh, that last sentence sounds very weird :lem-shocked:)

I was actually counting on people not being specific in their answer, otherwise I would've specified W.  D'oh! :XD:

why namida turned out to be the most popular answer to Q10? He explicitely announced that he would not be the host this time!

I had the very same thought!  Though to be fair, if one doesn't pay attention to the other posts and not know that namida said he would cede hosting, I have to admit namida would've sounded fairly plausible from the wording of the post alone.  So it would seem that people either didn't pay attention, or determined you to be such an excellent namida impersonator that they'd go for the "it's a ploy" theory.

===============

For the inverse-scoring answers, I basically did reverse-psychology and explicitly picked what I think would be the most popular answers (ie. under normal-scoring conditions), hoping enough other people will avoid them.  That seemed to have worked quite well except for #14, for which I wonder how many people inadvertently burned me by going for the intercardinals? :XD:

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 10, 2015, 09:45:03 PM »
I didn't think of that when I answered Q8, but with a Dutch guy here (607) there was a good chance at least someone else would answer that too.

Hmm, seems like the "roses are red, violets are blue" nursery rhyme might not be as well-known as I imagined?  It did tie top scoring with the tulip answer, but it seemed so obvious to me that I would've expected one or two more people picking "violet".

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 10, 2015, 10:24:53 PM »
Nobody else underlines. :-[
I was deliberately copying the style of namida's previous two rounds, because I did not want people to start comparing styles of various Family Feud rounds to exclude possible hosts! Guess it didn't quite work as intended ;).

That seemed to have worked quite well except for #14, for which I wonder how many people inadvertently burned me by going for the intercardinals? :XD:
Only one. Three people just answered north.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #153 on: June 11, 2015, 03:23:36 AM »
Ouch, I did awful this round...

Ice hockey - 3 people (1 point)
  Akseli, clam, namida

Interesting that both NZers chose this...
(I was about to say it was even more interesting that NaOH didn't, but then I noticed she didn't participate in this round.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2015, 07:54:34 AM »
why namida turned out to be the most popular answer to Q10? He explicitely announced that he would not be the host this time!

I had the very same thought!  Though to be fair, if one doesn't pay attention to the other posts and not know that namida said he would cede hosting, I have to admit namida would've sounded fairly plausible from the wording of the post alone.  So it would seem that people either didn't pay attention, or determined you to be such an excellent namida impersonator that they'd go for the "it's a ploy" theory.
Though being the previous host, namida is also kinda of a bailout answer: If you don't have a clue, just pick an obvious host even if it doesn't satisfy the question. (This was at least a partial reason for me picking namida.)

As for the nursery rhyme, it didn't spring my mind for some reason, though I do know it.

Offline Quizmaster

• We have asked 100 people...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2015, 03:27:18 PM »
It's time for the next round! This round has a theme of: fiction.

I: Fictional Characters

Standard scoring, except that some questions have specifically forbidden answers, which score zero.

1. Name a Shakespearean character whose name is not part or the whole of the title of the play in which this character appears.
2. Name a fictional detective, other than Sherlock Holmes.
3. Name a fictional cat, other than Puss-in-Boots.
4. Name a member of the Fellowship of the Ring.
5. Name a Hogwarts professor.
6. Name a character in the Sonic the Hedgehog series, other than Sonic.
7. Name a character in the Touhou series, other than Reimu.

II: Works of Fiction

Inverse scoring: Try to pick the least popular answer, but answers outside the bounds of the question score zero.

8. Name a novel by Charles Dickens.
9. Name a book in The Chronicles of Narnia.
10. Name a book in The Adventures of Tintin.

III: Fictional Games

11. Quidditch. Choose a team (Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw or Slytherin) and position (Chaser, Beater, Keeper or Seeker).

Goals: Each team scores 10 x Chasers x (Beaters + 1) x 2 if at least one Keeper.
Snitch: A team fielding exactly one Seeker scores 150.

Conversion to quiz points: Each player scores 1/100 of their team's Quidditch score.

12. The Hunger Games. Choose a district to belong to (numbered 1 to 12), a district to attack, and a time to attack (0 to 24 hours after start of games, integer hours only).

You are assumed to form a temporary alliance with anyone else from the same district, but scoring is individual and team-mates can backstab each other ;) If you die before the time you chose to attack, your attack command is ignored even if you have surviving team-mates.

If anyone chooses to attack a team with zero members, the attack command is ignored. This overrides all other rules.
If two or more attacks take place during the same hour, there is a bloodbath and all members of attacking teams are killed (while the teams they intended to attack get away).
If a larger team attacks a smaller team, all members of the smaller team are killed. In addition, if the fight was 2-on-1, the team member who nominated that attack takes the opportunity to kill their team-mate during the fight.
If a one-person team attacks another one-person team, both are killed.
If a team larger than one person attacks a team of equal size, or any team attacks a larger team, the team member who nominated the attack is killed (but their team-mates abandon them and flee).

Anyone still alive after 24 hours scores 1, or 2 if they are the sole survivor.

13. Mornington Crescent. Name a London Underground station, other than Mornington Crescent.

I will write all named stations on a piece of paper, and draw a link between any two if one ends and the other starts with the same letter. These links join the stations into networks. The size of a network is simply the number of stations it contains.

Everyone scores (size of network containing their station) / (size of largest network).

14. Brockian Ultra-Cricket. Choose a forum member to insult. It must be someone who has participated in at least one round of Family Feud 2015.

If the person you insult does not take part in this round, score 1.
If the person you insult does take part, but does not insult you back, score 0.
If the person you insult takes part and does insult you back, lose 1 point.

The winning person shall be the person that wins! May the Random Number Gods be ever in your favour!

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #156 on: June 11, 2015, 04:05:50 PM »
Excellent ideas.

Goals: Each team scores 10 x Chasers x (Beaters + 1) x 2 if at least one Keeper.

How does the 'if' connect to the equation? I assume this means "stuff x2 if at least one keeper, stuff x1 if no keeper."

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #157 on: June 11, 2015, 04:17:35 PM »
^ I actually read that as "no keeper, no score (apart from the Seeker score)". But yeah, it's pretty ambiguous.

I'm not quite sure I understand exactly how Question 13 is meant to work. Is each station put into the longest possible network that contains it (and presumably, doesn't contain any station more than once)? Does it have to be a full circle? etc.

I do like the ideas in general here though! :) It's also been a while since we've had any non-standard scoring questions apart from the inverse scoring, so it's nice to see some again!
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 11, 2015, 04:25:55 PM »
Question 11: The score for goals is multiplied by 2 if there is a Keeper, otherwise unchanged.

Question 13: Think of each link as allowing you to move from one station to another. Two stations are in the same network if and only if it is possible to get from one to the other in a finite number of moves.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #159 on: June 11, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »
So, let's say we had three stations (using made-up and hopefully not valid names here):

LEMMINGTON
NULL
NOOB

Would there be links from Lemmington to both Null and Noob? Or would only Lemmington + Null be considered a network because it loops? If it's the former, would "Null" and "Noob" also be considered to be linked to each other? (And in this case, isn't it very likely that all stations will be one huge network?)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 11, 2015, 04:34:34 PM »
In that case, there would be links from Lemmington to both Null and Noob, so all three would be in the same network. If those were the only three answers, they would all score 1.

By the way, if there are multiple submissions of the same station, this is ignored. So for instance, if there are four players and they submit LEMMINGTON, LEMMINGTON, NULL and ZZZZ (pretending those are valid station names), then the longest network is the 2-station LEMMINGTON - NULL network and the player submitting ZZZZ scores 0.5.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #161 on: June 11, 2015, 04:40:45 PM »
Alright, I think I get it now. Thanks! :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 11, 2015, 05:59:15 PM »
I knew it wasn't Namida, but I didn't know who was it. I just took the most easy answer, and suspected other people to do the same. Just like guessing 0 when specifying a number, while you're certain 0 wouldn't actually be correct.
Oh, I'm really not too good at these reverse scoring questions... it's really hard, because you need to do what others don't, but others do that too :P

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 15, 2015, 02:36:04 AM »
I don't expect to do well this time, especially since I had to research some of the questions just to get an answer.  Never even heard of Touhou.

How is the next host decided anyways?

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #164 on: June 15, 2015, 02:50:40 AM »
How is the next host decided anyways?

If you would like to host one, then it's you!

(wait, how did I got here? ??? ;P)

-- Simon
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:33:39 PM by ccexplore »