Author Topic: cLemmings  (Read 20616 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: cLemmings
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 02:16:57 PM »
Just checking:
- You are testing with the version that's on your website (not just a copy on your hard drive that you might not've uploaded)?
- You don't have an 0104.LVL file in the folder with it do you?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 02:27:57 PM »
Yes to the first one. I just went and downloaded from both links, and it has the 93% save rate.

And no to the second one.

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 02:49:45 PM »
You can redownload the file from the site now. It makes complex 6 MUCH easier.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 03:07:01 PM »
Both links?

Anyway, I tried downloading it on my phone via 3G (instead of the wifi here) and indeed, it's updated. I guess there must be some weird caching on either the router or the ISP here...
I'd still quite like to see how Complex 6 is done with the original save requirement, but anyway, the new version is indeed a lot easier. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 05:24:36 AM »
Okay, unless there's a hidden exit somewhere, Complex 8 is definitely impossible. Even getting through the pillars near the start with only two bashers, you don't have enough bashers to go through underneath the pillars near the end. You can dig and bash under them, but then you don't have the digger and will certianly run out of builders due to building over the spinning fire trap half way through the level. Even ignoring all this, there isn't enough builders for any solution.

If this isn't the case and I'm overlooking something, I'd be very interested to see the replay for it. Same goes for saving 100% (the original requirement) on Complex 6.
My Lemmings projects

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 09:50:37 PM »
For Complex 6, I made this level a long time ago, so I honestly forgot how to 100% it. Sorry(if you want proof, you can check the "last modified" dates, as you may see, I made most of these in early October).

For complex 8, I'll give you a hint:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2015, 09:54:16 PM »
Yes, I'm aware of that. Notice what I said above - You can dig and bash under them, but then you don't have the digger and will certianly run out of builders due to building over the spinning fire trap half way through the level.

I did actually find a way to have one more basher when getting that far, but it still leaves you with only 5 builders when you get to that point. In the best of cases you need 2 to get through the diagonal platform after this, and 3 is not enough to cross the final gap. I assume the intention is to go through the semicircle bridges at the top, but you don't have enough to get up to that either, even ignoring that you have no way to turn around without using at least 3 more.

Anyway, all three of these cases come back to one point I made on your earlier pack - you need to test your levels before release. I know playing through them all can be somewhat tiring when you just want to get your pack out there - my usual approach is to save a replay to each level as I make and playtest them, so that when it comes release time, I can just check that all the replays still work.
My Lemmings projects

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2015, 09:55:52 PM »
I'll raise the builder count to 25, then.

There. It should be updated.

As for testing levels, I did test all of them.
I played through all of them.
So, yes, Complex 6 is 100%able. I wouldn't put 100% in unless I had gotten it.
But I have an idea for Complex 8. I remember that the level was supposed to have a climber(not lying), but I must've forgotten to click out of the climbers box when I saved the level(it's a somewhat unknown bug in traditional lemmix editor, where the box you have selected is counted as 0/blank when you save the level).

I'm very sorry. Truly.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 10:06:50 PM by exit »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2015, 10:03:33 PM »
So, you didn't test that one properly either?

These cases highlight why testing your levels is so important - I thought you would've learnt this from the two impossible levels in the early versions of ONMcL (one of which turned out to be a great level once it was fixed and made possible). Don't get me wrong, some of your levels are completely brilliant, but this is more important than ever with hard levels - to someone who doesn't already know how to solve them, it can be almost impossible to tell the difference between a level that's impossible and one that's just extremely hard. If you're known to release untested levels that are actually impossible, it's also going to mean people are more likely to just assume "this level must be impossible too" on one that's actually just really hard.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 05:08:02 AM »
Hm, did anyone else try cLemmings Ultimate Edition yet?

Aside from the 3 impossible levels (two of which have been fixed in the update), it is a really good pack - I'd still recommend it! :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 06:47:34 PM »
@exit: Do you still update Ultimate Edition to remove backroutes? If yes, I would record my solutions.

@namida: What is the one level that is still impossible?

I just played through most of Ultimate Edition. The lack of hidden traps and the only very few builder-heavy levels were a very pleasant surprise. Even though there are some excellent levels, many of my solutions feel like backroutes. Some comments:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 07:39:34 PM »
Complex 8, unless there's something I'm overlooking. (Simple 4 and Complex 6 have been fixed; although apparently the original version of Complex 6 was possible but he "forgot how to solve it". The only difference from the current version was a 100% requirement.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 08:20:06 PM »
Just for your information: Complex 8 is solvable (though the solution is not really interesting) and Complex 6 still has the 100% requirement (and is solvable as well).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 12:25:27 AM »
What's the save requirement on Simple 4 in the version you have? If it isn't 93% you have the old version... if it is, looks like exit has done another update without mentioning it.

EDIT: Indeed, we have different versions; your replay for Complex 8 runs out of builders about 2/3rds of the way through. It has 16 builders in the version I've got.

For Complex 6, I couldn't find any way to solve it, unless the version you have changes the skillset (in the original it was 1-of-each, 100%; the update changed this to still 1-of-each but required only 98%). Exit also mentioned he couldn't remember how to solve it and thus changed it - though I guess it's to be expected that if anyone could find a working solution, it'd be you. :P For Simple 4, the only thing changed again was the save requirement, which was 98% in the original version.

I'll have to redownload it and take a look at the current state.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 12:32:31 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 10:04:44 AM »
I downloaded Ultimate Endition a few days ago.
Simple 4: It has 93% save requirement in my version.
Complex 6: It seems to be the same as in your version. I attached my solution, but I recommend having another try at this level first - it is really an excellent level.
Complex 8: Has now 25 builders (and all of them are needed!).