Author Topic: Lemmings Plus Omega (100% complete, now in testing)  (Read 15874 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus Omega (40.0% complete) (DEMO RELEASED)
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 09:15:22 AM »
Here's a level I just made. This one is mostly intended more as an artistic level than anything else, though it isn't without its challenge factors.

EDIT: Alright, another rank is more than half-done now - just made the 15th level of Perplexing; Breezy has been at 15+ for a while now.

EDIT: Just for fun, I just looked at what was the longest gap between two level slots that had been filled - 7 levels, between Breezy 21 and Breezy 29. The longest consecutive set that *has* all been filled is 11 levels, Breezy 1 to Breezy 11.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus Omega (43.7% complete) (DEMO RELEASED)
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 12:06:39 AM »
Wow, well I've been making a lot of levels recently (probably because the semester is over, so I'm more or less free until early January now - even then, that's just the summer semester and so I'll only be doing one paper, so will still have plenty of spare time *). Latest level is one that enforces a trick that was meant to be used in Fierce 15, but someone kept finding ways around. :P Unlike Fierce 15, this level almost solely focuses on the trick, with just one other minor obstacle to deal with; so hopefully it won't be backrouted. :P

* Not that I don't spend way too much time on Lemmings even when I don't have it to spare... xD
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 10:26:44 PM »
Alright, time to let the cat out of the bag. The cheat code for the demo is CHEATSTIME. Like with the demo / nonfinal versions of LPIII, LP3B and HLP, the code has to be re-entered every time you play.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 06:11:54 PM »
Though I'm not going to update the demo, the backroute fix for Mental 1 only involves a change to the skillset so you can try it now if you like. The change is simply one less basher. The same general solution (though obviously not the exact approach) still works without the extra basher, though...

...as far as I can tell, it's only possible to save the bare requirement exactly. I have an idea that might get 82%, actually, but I haven't tried it yet.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 07:36:36 PM »
Just made a level that I think sets a new record for most objects I've put in a single level, at 97. Definitely making use of NeoLemmix here. (Doubly so since the majority of those objects are updrafts.) It's an interesting level, because my harder levels generally tend to be more along the ONML or maybe Genesis lines, but this one has a real Mayhem feel to it.

I also think this is probably the longest I've worked on any pack without coming up with the once-per-rank level. "No Salvation" was among the first LPDOS levels I made, and Floater Frenzy came almost as soon as I got the idea of doing gimmick levels in LPII. Excavation Expedition was a bit later for LPIII, but still fairly early in development IIRC.

We won't speak of Floater Frenzy, but I kind of feel Excavation Expedition, while fun, wasn't up to the same standard as No Salvation. So I'm aiming for something more like that this time... just need the idea. xD I have an idea for the general concept - what I'd like to do is have the same level, same stats, and same amount of each skill (probably a low single-digit number), but change *which* skills you get each time.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus Omega (50.4% complete)
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 02:49:30 AM »
And of course, as soon as I posted that, I came up with one. :)

It's a one-screen level with lots of traps; as could be expected due to this, most iterations of the level give Mechanics in the skillset. The level always has 50 lemmings, a save requirement of 80%, RR1 and no time limit, and always has two each of 5 skills, but *which* 5 skills those are vary between versions. And yes, there's even a Playtime version of it, which indeed keeps to the usual rules (same stats, same quantity of skills, but different selection of skills) but of course adds a gimmick.

Also; adding this level brings the completion past 50%! :D It also brings yet another rank - Mental, this time - to the 50% mark. Only Puzzling and Playtime haven't reached half completion yet. Also, at this point, the pack is only a single level away from having as many levels *so far* as LPIII did altogether (needless to say, it's a lot less work when I only have to make levels, and not also styles). I'll probably do another demo when it gets to around 70% or so; and most likely I'll include a Playtime level too this time.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus Omega (51.9% complete)
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 11:34:08 PM »
So far there are two brand-new gimmicks for Omega, one of which you've already seen a screenshot of (the rising water one). I'll probably add one more too, though I haven't come up with an idea for it yet. I've done two rising water levels; I'll probably do one more. The other gimmick is more the "one shot" type that can only really be used once, or at least once per pack.

Aside from that, there's also a level using a gimmick (or gimmicks) that are already present in NeoLemmix but haven't been used in Lemmings Plus yet, as well as one Frenzy level (without any other gimmicks) and one level using two already-used gimmicks in combination; the exact combination was also used in the Lemmings Plus III Bonus Pack but this level plays very differently to that one.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus Omega (59.3% complete)
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 01:24:31 AM »
So, a level I just made puts Playtime past 50% too. The only rank that hasn't yet reached that mark is Puzzling. Once it does - it's only one level away - I'll probably put out another demo.

(Of course, it goes without saying that the next level I make won't necesserially be a Puzzling one. I generally aim to make Perplexing or Mental levels, as the early ranks are easier to fill in later.)

Next demo will most likely be two levels of each normal rank again, plus one Playtime level.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus Omega (62.2% complete) (2nd Demo Available!)
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 11:55:28 PM »
Alright, Demo 2 has landed! Once again it's two levels from each main rank, with 7 different maps (the 8th being a repeat of another level that's in the demo). This one, however, also includes one Playtime level, using one of the gimmicks made specifically for Omega.

Download links:
(DropBox)
(NeoLemmix Website)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2014, 02:00:13 AM »
I'll be looking for pre-release testers once this pack is completed, so if youre interested, let me know in this topic or via PM.

Highest priority will go to those who were on the testing team for LPIII but not for HLP, second will be to those who were on the HLP team, and finally will be anyone else; however, as usual, the relative skill levels of testers will also be taken into account. Keep in mind that this pack makes heavy use of NeoLemmix features.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2014, 11:40:10 AM »
Another great and challenging demo!

Here are the replays of the levels I have done so far. I haven't beaten Mental 1 and 2 yet, but I'll get back to you with a replay/attempt replay on them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v39o5hc9rug7wan/AAAFftJ4txv3Z3xuggAkIdD0a?dl=0

Breezy 1 - Now that's an interesting level - pre-placed permanent skill trapdoors. Would this happen to be the tutorial level for them?
Breezy 2 - There must be a repeat version of this level, because this one has multiple solutions, some of which don't use the mechanic skill. Nevertheless, I did use the mechanic skill.

Puzzling 1 - Another locked exit puzzle using a tricky structure for a worker lemming. It's also a good way to get acquainted with the level layoit because its repeat version is very difficult. Nice to also see another style using the locked exit-buttons.
Puzzling 2 - Nice use of the slowfreeze, although it would have worked better if you had a tutorial level for the Slowfreeze in the demo, much like how you did with the radiation object. This one seems hard for a Puzzling level; then again, it is in late Puzzling, and I know you like to put a hard level amongst levels that relate to the rank.

Perplexing 1 - might be a backroute. If not, then this level wasn't too hard for a Perplexing level; it might work as the first level of the rank instead.
Perplexing 2 - also might be a backroute.

Mental 1 - Yeah, this one's having me stumped, as I always end up with not enough platformers and builders when trying to make a bridge for the lemmings on the bottom. I'll keep trying and get an attempt replay to you on this one.

Playtime 1 - the rising water level. I thought it'd be hard at first, but it felt satisfying once I figured out the solution. The swimmer skill has a clever usage, too.

There's a glitch in the save system for the demo, though. If you have unlocked both levels, and play the first level of a rank again then quit, switch to another rank before going back to the initial rank, it will take me to the second level instead of the first level.  (e.g. if I play Breezy 1, pressed Esc to quit the level and return to the main menu, then switch to Perplexing and back to Breezy, it takes me to Breezy 2 instead of Breezy 1).

Can't wait for the full game! With what you put in the demos, everything is sure to look exciting and really wrap up the Lemmings Plus series in an excellent way!
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 08:16:19 PM »
It's meant to do that. It takes you to the first level that is unlocked but *not* beaten. If this is problematic, I can add an option to the configuration to make this not happen?

I'll check your replays now.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2014, 08:30:51 PM »

Breezy 1 - You solved it the same way I did. :p It is probably the first level with them, though it has a repeat too.
Breezy 2 - Indeed this one does have a repeat. :p
Puzzling 1 - Nicely done. :)
Puzzling 2 - There's a much tidier way to do this one (and one entirely different solution too, which is the 92% solution), but nevertheless, you have the right general approach.
Perplexing 1 - Not a backroute; that's the intended solution. Well done.
Perplexing 2 - This one is a backroute, though.
Playtime 1 - A bit different from how I did it, but I like your solution; I'm leaving that one in.

In short, only Perplexing 2 was a backroute. Well done! :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus Omega (63.0% complete) (2nd Demo Available!)
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2014, 10:54:53 PM »
The tutorial level for walkers simply uses them to free pre-placed blockers, so I've added a level which shows them being used to turn lemmings around, about half way through Breezy.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Plus Omega (63.7% complete) (2nd Demo Available!)
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2014, 12:36:06 PM »
Here's another Perplexing 2 replay, which may also be a backroute. The attempt replay for Mental 1 is also in the link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v39o5hc9rug7wan/AAAFftJ4txv3Z3xuggAkIdD0a?dl=0

Also, I've noticed that some objects like the buttons and the updrafts do not appear in the preview screen, yet appear in the gameplay, much like how it was with pre-placed lemmings.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!