Author Topic: Lemmings Plus III  (Read 20899 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus III - Release Topic (Bonus pack: 62.9% complete)
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2014, 04:22:41 PM »
Let's drop some more preview info.

I'll confirm that at least two of the secret levels so far don't use a gimmick at all, but in fact are levels based on concepts that showed up in the highest rank in both LPDOS and LPII, but were absent from LPIII. :) I'd say both of them are harder than the LPDOS/LPII levels using the concepts. Most of you can probably guess exactly which two concepts I'm referring to here. :P

As for actual progress... no new levels yet (I'll probably do some over the weekend though), but I fixed yet another backroute in Party 7. xD I've actually had some good ideas come to mind for levels, but they're non-gimmick levels that use new skills so they'll have to wait until LPZ - for those who haven't read all the posts about it - LPIII Bonus Pack is not going to use any of the new skills or gimmicks, though I'm not ruling out using other, smaller features that weren't around at the time of LPIII's release (for example, there's one level that has a pre-placed lemming who starts out as a climber). This is fairly consistent with how LPII Bonus Pack was too - it didn't introduce any major new features, but did use some minor ones such as left-facing entrances and combinations of gimmicks.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus III - Release Topic (Bonus pack: 71.4% complete)
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2014, 07:00:28 AM »
So, I just made a level for Party that combines the two gimmicks being focused on in the other ranks (backwards walkers and one-skill-per-lemming). The two actually combine to give a very challenging result, even in relatively simple levels. o_O
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus III - Release Topic (Bonus pack: 77.1% complete)
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2014, 10:50:59 AM »
Alright, I'll reveal a bit more about the secret levels now.

The Secret rank is in fact the same size as the others - so, 7 secret levels! Obviously, this means that some ranks have more than one secret level. And yes, this means the total level count is 42 levels (although 14 are repeats of LPIII levels, so only 28 original levels), thus putting it at nearly 2/3rds the size of LPIII itself. o_O

I earlier mentioned that two of them re-use previously-seen concepts that were missing from LPIII. While I'm sure all of you already guessed, these are the PSYCHO 28 / Genius 17 concept (a long level that gives 20 of everything but no builders and requires 100%), and the "No Time To Die" concept. The former I would say is around the same difficulty as the LPDOS/LPII levels of this concept, while the latter is definitely the hardest NTTD yet.

The third is simply a level with the Exhaustion + Lazy combination. It's definitely harder than either of the Timid secret levels, though not overly difficult - probably late Dodgy or early Rough.

The fourth is an entirely original non-gimmick level that makes use of locked exits.

The fifth is a level that uses Surviving Bombers gimmick, though admittedly there's no reason why it couldn't be a non-gimmick level that uses diggers instead of bombers. However, in general it's based on a very unique concept for a Lemmings level.

The sixth is a Frenzy based on a very versatile concept that was used once in Original Lemmings, once in LPDOS, three times in LPII, and twice in LPIII - I won't say what it is but you may be able to guess from these usage counts.

The only thing I'll say about the 7th one is that it's a VGASPEC level with no gimmick. As with the VGASPEC levels in LPIII, it has a custom music track, and is internet-related, though this one is not related to any meme.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus III - Release Topic (Bonus pack: 83.3% complete)
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2014, 05:08:45 AM »
Here's a level map. I won't say what kind of level this is though, apart from that it does involve a gimmick (or multiple gimmicks) and it's a relatively easy one.

Also, style counts so far - this is including the secret and repeat levels:
Sky: 7
Circuit: 11
Martian: 10
Lab: 10

Only 4 more levels to go before the pack is complete - 2 each in Moonwalk and Teamwork. The remaining empty slots (thoough this may be subject to change) are Moonwalk 5, Moonwalk 7, Teamwork 4 and Teamwork 7. (All levels in Breather, Rehash, Party and Secret have been completed and their order finalised.)

There's 3 VGASPEC levels (and I don't plan to add anymore), although only two are full-blown proper VGASPEC levels; the third is more along the lines of the Covox level (uses graphics from a standard set for most of the image but with some custom stuff added). Of these, one is in Party and two are in Secret.

EDIT: Updated the info above.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus III - Release Topic (Bonus pack: 90.5% complete)
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2014, 08:09:35 AM »
In case anyone was wondering: There isn't going to be any "testing period" on the bonus pack like there was with LPIII, and like with the LPII Bonus Pack, there will only be *one* backroute-fix update. Of course it'll be tested by me before release, but I won't be sending it to anyone else for pre-release testing.

So, it's just a matter of making those last four levels, doing some more testing, and then it's ready to go.

EDIT: One more level each now - at this stage, Level 7 in both, but I may end up reordering some of them (in particular, Teamwork 6 is definitely good enough to be put in Level 7 if I don't come up with something even better). Moonwalk definitely could use some reordering of the levels, while Teamwork is more or less fine as it is, except maybe having to slot the 7th level in an earlier position depending how it turns out.

EDIT: Made the last remaining level for Teamwork! Just got to come up with one more for Moonwalk now, as well as sort out the reordering of it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus III - Release Topic (Bonus pack: 99.9% complete)
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2014, 01:46:58 PM »
All levels are now complete! Just got to do some reordering in Moonwalk, then do some testing, and it'll be ready for release! Expect it very soon. :)

Final style counts:
Sky: 9
Circuit: 12
Martian: 10 (including all 3 VGASPEC levels)
Lab: 11

UPDATE: Testing (and preparing replays) is now complete up to the end of Rehash. The reordering is also done for Moonwalk; in the end I only ended up swapping two levels around (level 3 and level 6).

UPDATE: Done to the end of Moonwalk. No changes needed to this point.

UPDATE: Done to the end of Teamwork. Needed two changes here - a backroute fix in one level seemed to have made it impossible, and another level I found gave one builder more than was nessecary (and this extra builder very much simplified the solution).

UPDATE: Done to the end of Party. I realised one level was FAR too hard for its position, so I both reduced the save requirement and moved it to a later position. Aside from that, no issues here. Only the secret levels remain to test now - all their post-completion redirects have been double-checked, but I've still got to check both accessing them and the levels themself.

UPDATE: Tested all the access locations. Only thing left to do is test the secret levels themself, then it's ready for release. (I'm actually 100% sure they're all possible as I haven't modified any of them since creation, but it's just my rule - test every level before release.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus III - Release Topic (Bonus pack released!!!)
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2014, 05:40:41 PM »
Alright, it's here!

Lemmings Plus III Bonus Pack is now released! Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1w1fbf1al44t5bq/LPIIIB.zip

As usual, things like the cheat code, level files, lists of which levels have the secret levels, etc will be released at a later date.

One thing I will say now - one of the secret levels is NOT accessed in the usual manner! If you're trying to find it...
Pay close attention to some of the Circuit levels and you might be able to work it out.

So, what's next for Lemmings Plus now? Well, firstly is the updates for this - I'm going to do ONE backroute-fix update (assuming backroutes show up, which they virtually always do) at some point. The second major update (ie: not counting mere upgrades to new NeoLemmix versions, if deemed nessecary) will simply be to re-enable the disabled options (like Challenge Mode, etc). Once that's done, there's the "Lemmings Plus Z Project" (this is just a codename, like "LP5 Project" for LPII and "LPX Project" for LPIII) that I've mentioned here and there (no, I haven't started on it yet, and don't plan to too soon), which will be another large pack using the LPII and LPIII graphic sets combined, as well as the new NeoLemmix skills. I have plans for one other, relatively small entry in the Lemmings Plus series, though that one won't be for at least a couple of months yet - it's quite likely this one will come before, or be developed alongside, LPZ.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2014, 05:56:26 PM »
NeoLemmix V1.21n is ready for release. As this fixes a bug involving the Backwards Walkers gimmick, I thought it made sense to upload an updated copy of LPIII Bonus too. Just to be clear - nothing is changed except updating it to the latest NeoLemmix engine.

Same link as before.

EDIT: Just to confirm, there is no intention to release an update based on the V1.21n-B update, unless no new version is avialable by the time backroute fixes need to be done (if they even do - no issues so far).
My Lemmings projects

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2014, 03:07:15 AM »
For some reason, Chrome seems to flag and auto-abort this pack as malware when I try to download it. Curious. Went on FF and it went fine. Playing now.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »
That problem exists with many (not all) of the Lemmix players. Avast also did the same thing at one stage (though again, only with certain ones), but I haven't heard of that issue lately so I'm guessing they've sorted out whatever was causing it.

Just to clarify - are you referring to LPIII, the bonus pack, or both? I'll see if there's some way I can report it to them as a false positive.

EDIT: After googling it, it would seem apparently this is a very common problem with "unknown" files - which anything distributed here would be since it's not going to have millions of people downloading it. Basically, Chrome is just overparanoid.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2014, 01:26:45 PM »
If nobody has played this pack yet, then I would highly recommend it. I would say the levels are very challenging, yet very rewarding. Even some of the Breather levels require certain strategies. The gimmick levels have added a completely new puzzle element, especially when used in combinations. Also, for those who enjoyed the locked puzzles in Lemmings Plus III, you'll be seeing more of them in this pack. If you were disappointed that Lemmings Plus III was too short, then this pack will more than make up for it. You should check it out if you haven't yet.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus III - Release Topic (Bonus pack updated!!!)
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2014, 01:27:52 AM »
Alright, it's been long enough, so the Bonus Pack has been updated and finalized. The only levels that are changed are the last 3 levels of Moonwalk.

This does indeed mean that from this point onwards, all solutions are valid. (Of course they could still be ones I didn't intend, but they don't count as "the level still hasn't really been beaten" or "the new percent record doesn't count" on the grounds of being a backroute.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1w1fbf1al44t5bq/LPIIIB.zip

Additionally, the LPIII Bonus Pack level maps have now been added to the NeoLemmix website.

Now I'm free to focus on the new Lemmings Plus projects. I don't think it's time to create a new topic about them yet, but there's already some info on my website. Aside from that, all I'll mention is that there's three planned projects (one major one, and two much smaller ones), which are codenamed:

- Lemmings Plus Z Project (this one has the most info released - see the website for info)
- Lemmings Plus H Project (some info about this is on the website)
- Lemmings Plus C Project (all I've confirmed about this one is that it'll be NeoLemmix-based)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus III - Release Topic (Bonus pack updated!!!)
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2014, 03:26:28 AM »
By the way, just to clear it up, there are still some never-beaten (except by myself) levels in both LPIII and the bonus pack. Three of the bonus pack ones were beaten in the first release via a backroute, but the backroutes were fixed in the update. The two remaining ones from LPIII have never been beaten, not even with backroutes.

Lemmings Plus III
Dodgy 18
Fierce 16

Lemmings Plus III Bonus Pack
Moonwalk 5
Moonwalk 6
Moonwalk 7

Teamwork 5
Teamwork 6
Teamwork 7

Party 6
Party 7
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus III
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2014, 10:44:44 AM »
Still no progress on any of them. I'm aware of one person who's been trying Dodgy 18 but hasn't succeeded yet.

Oh well, time to drop some more hints I guess.

Firstly, about which gimmick is in use on Dodgy 18...
No gimmick at all. It just plays gimmick *music*, but it's a regular level.

Now, hints for each level:
Dodgy 18 - This level would not be possible under traditional Lemmix / DOS mechanics, primarily due to how steel works. EDIT: Though it might be solvable under traditional mechanics by abusing glitches, but obviously that's no help under NeoLemmix.
Fierce 16 - The key trick involves using a destructive skill near the edge of a bridge while the builder is shrugging.

Moonwalk 5 - Apart from working out how to contain the other lemming, this level mostly uses a worker lemming approach.
Moonwalk 6 - Two blockers are obviously needed while reaching the exit; both blockers should be freed by the same lemming, though not at the same time.
Moonwalk 7 - The fact that backwards walkers still perform skills forwards is crucial to seperating workers in this level.

Teamwork 5 - A digger can survive the fall from the bottom of the "clip" at the left edge of the starting platform; this is critical to the solution.
Teamwork 6 - The building across the first gap should be timed so very few lemmings don't fall down.
Teamwork 7 - At one point, you'll need two bashers working on more or less the same wall.

Party 6 - You can get up to the first thin platform (with the gap in the middle) with only two skills, if you time and place them correctly.
Party 7 - Under the Exhaustion gimmick, a climber climbs exactly the maximum safe fall distance before falling down. Although knowing this won't solve the whole level, it's the key to killing the final lemming.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus III
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2014, 10:51:30 PM »
Wow. It's been ages since there's been any LPIII news - mostly because LPO has been in development / released - but I just now received a replay from the first person to beat Dodgy 18. Well done DynaLem! :D

Fierce 16 still remains unsolved, as do the mentioned bonus pack levels. (Or at least, if they've been solved, I'm not aware of them having been solved.)

EDIT: Received a replay showing Fierce 16 being beaten as well. This means that now, the only one of my packs with remaining unbeaten levels is the LPIII bonus pack - all LPO levels have already been beaten.
My Lemmings projects