Author Topic: How would you design a new lemmings game?  (Read 13520 times)

Kaj

How would you design a new lemmings game?
« on: January 15, 2005, 10:39:36 PM »
Since Ive noticed there's still a huge base of lemmings fans, I wondered if we could pool together practicle ideas for a new lemmings game, in the vague hope of attracting support from gamemakers.  

Kaj

Re: How would you design a new lemmings game?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 10:50:06 PM »
This is my dream idea for it:  super-cute cel shaded and fully 3 dimensional, with large open spaces and rolling landscapes (not flat like lemmings 3d), more like Worm's 3d.  Landscape fully destructable, so you can tunnel and build literally anywhere.  Lots of building options, not just stairs but also ladders pillars etc for really exciting constructions.  Gameplay would involve just mucking about and playing with the interactive landscape :D :D, but with the mission of trying to reach hard to get objects (like pikmin which is another game i love).  Objects could be medallion pieces!  Or maybe teleportation to other levels. There would be less of a puzzle feel to it (though still present and more interesting in 3d) but more a muckaround thing.  Occasionaly lemmings might wonder around and you have to guide them away from cliff edges with mouse, so a hectic task on a large map.  Cute and colourful lemming explosions with 3 dimensional craters!!!

I don't think creating a fully puzzly game would work in the current gamesworld (short attention span of children these days), which is why lemmings hasnt been used.  So my idea is a more playful style.  Please add additional suggestions or other ideas!  Lemmings forever!   :D

Kaj

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 10:52:25 PM »
forgive my appalingly random use of smileys in that last post...

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 04:06:20 AM »
I don't like the idea of random lemmings running off, but apart from that, it's a good idea.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Andi

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 11:19:45 AM »
If we want to attract people for lemmings, we have to make games which are currently very often played. But your idea sounds good.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 01:23:00 PM »
Seems like it would be hard to prod Sony to make one (since they have the rights, right?) But it wouldn't hurt to try.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 08:21:31 PM »
The idea of Lemmings in 3D isn't new... the problem is the control system, how to make it "work" in 3D.

In Lemmings 3D they all sort of "walked" in lines... which doesn't feel right. Place a blocker, and a Lemming should relly just walk around them - its 3D after all and they're stupid.

Thats the real problem, figure out how to control masses of them and still keep the "feel" of the original, and then anything bolted on will more or less work.

My pet idea is to reverse it a bit... Have you trying to stop lots of lemmings with AI building and bashing towards a goal while you have to kill them all off.

Killing lemmings was always the fun part! :)

Andi

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 08:29:11 PM »
OH NO! :D

But I still like the MMORPG-idea.

Kaj

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 09:26:55 PM »
The control system is a problem I agree. Lemmings 3d somehow lost all the fun in it.  The problem is that in the 2d lemmings games, the feel was created because you could micromanage almost every pixel would, but this amount of control is not possible in 3d, too many angles.  That was why I had the idea of them running off randomly. I envisage them having a great deal of autonomy, wandering about at will.  With blockers (or attracters if we borrow from tribes) there could be a means of keeping them loosely in one place but part of the fun might be herding them back together as they wander about towards deadly cliffs and lakes...
I know autonomous lemmings is a bit of a change from the original, particularly when we are so used to them moving predictably, but its the only way I see them working in a 3d environment.  The alternative is to have them stand still (like pikmin) but theres no pressure if you can take your time, and that wouldnt be very lemmingsy I feel.
I didnt know that sony had the rights. That is a bummer.  You can't do anything with a PS pad.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 09:57:25 PM »
I had an idea for a combination of Lemmings and Worms.... there would be two players, each with their own lemmings and exit and set of skills. These would include some Lemmings skills and some weapon-like skills. The object is to get more lemmings home than your opponent, but both of you must get at least one home to pass the level. Levels could therefore combine a puzzle element with free-for-all shootouts!

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 11:07:00 PM »
Dont get me started on worms!! They stole so many ideas from Lemmings its not funny! After all worms is just the combat part of 2 player lemmings, where you take turns instead.

Worms anoys me, 2 player lemmings was MUCH more fun!   :(

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 01:43:19 AM »
I think if you keep it similar to the original Lemmings 3D, with just four directions, but make it more "pixel"-based than the tile-based system Lemmings 3D is. Also, add a level editor!
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 08:07:49 AM »
If you were gonna do a new Lemmings 3D style game, you should try and get flocking and have a lemming "sheepdog" of some kind. That would seem more realistic (if you can apply that term!). :D

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 09:57:17 AM »
Anything that kills the original idea of lemmings would not be of any interest to me. It might as well be another game.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 11:02:09 AM »
You know what might work... some sort of "maze".

This preserves the directional walking and then lets you direct them with blockers etc...

also means you have to solve the maze and avoid traps hidden in the maze... just like the original.