Poll

what's the Android version of your main Android device?

<3
1 (5.6%)
<4
0 (0%)
4.0 or 4.1
2 (11.1%)
4.2 or 4.3
0 (0%)
>= 4.4
15 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: [Android] Lemmings-like game (WIP)  (Read 130194 times)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
Re: [Android] Lemmings-like game (WIP)
« Reply #225 on: March 17, 2018, 04:52:53 PM »
Updates are not frequent, but I'm still working on the game + the level-editor.
I've just added a new Object: "Top-to-Bottom" 1-way arrows, for Miners, Diggers and Bombers :)

[work in progress...]

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 17, 2018, 07:53:36 PM »
Havent looked in this thread for a long time, but nice to see what's been added.
The downslope builder seems like a cool ability.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 18, 2018, 09:55:10 AM »
Thank you! :)
Making this game is a slowww process, but I work on it whenever I can.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 28, 2018, 03:00:03 AM »
I'm working on the possibility to load NeoLemmix's Lemmings1-compliant levels in jLevelBuilder, and I've just succeeded in making it work with the "Pillar" tileset :)
(it will also work for the other tilesets soon, but I still have to translate some ".nxlv" files' data into Lemmini's format).

Do not expect instant 100%-accurate compatibility, though, because NeoLemmix's tilesets have been customized (reworked sizes for tiles, Exit+ExitTops are now merged, ...), therefore some tweakings may be needed before playing your NeoLemmix's L1-levels in the Android game. (but initial results should be good enough to quickly play your levels on Android!)

For example, in the level below, I just tweaked the Exit (slighly relocated on the Y axis + added the exit's top). That's all.
The level used in the example is "Lemmings_Now_Looked_Up" from "DeceitLemmings".

- I loaded the ".nxlv" level in jLevelBuilder,
- I tweaked the Exit
- I saved the level in the Android format (an extended version of a Lemmini's level file)
- I copied/pasted the exported level onto the Android device.

I'll keep you updated with news when I'll be able to load even more tilesets (should be soon ;))

- 1) top screen: "Lemmings_Now_Looked_Up" loaded in jLevelBuilder and NeoLemmix's Level Editor
- 2) middle screen: level's intro screen in the Android game
- 3) bottom screen: playing "Lemmings_Now_Looked_Up" on smartphone.

edit:
the other tilesets from Lemmings1/Oh No More Lemmings work, too. :)
- below: 2 more "Lemmings/Oh No More Lemmings"-compliant levels for NeoLemmix, playable on Android. (levels from "DeceitLemmings")

... and, of course, one can zoom in :)
(=> the zoom factor on the screenshot below is not the maximum zoom: one can zoom-in much, much more)

Please remember, the Android game doesn't read NeoLemmix's level ".nxlv" files natively.
NeoLemmix's levels are read in jLevelBuilder and, then, exported/saved in Android game's native file format (looks like Lemmini's file format).

One more thing:
if you can provide a NeoLemmix's ".nxtt" translation file for your own custom tilesets (that's easy), as well as your graphics in Lemmini's format (and that's easy, too), then you should be able to play your NeoLemmix's L1-compliant levels on your Android device ;)
=> since you can load your own tilesets (in Lemmini format) in the Android game, therefore there's no restriction about using classic tilesets only ;)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 24, 2018, 12:36:03 PM »
Hi, here's a short report on the project's status:

- 1) my "TODO" list for the game's level-editor is now empty since... few minutes :D
The level-editor now suits my needs in order to create the game's levels.

- 2) about the game itself :
- no more features are added now (no more skills to be announced, for example). Features are blocked!
- I haven't found new bugs recently, but I have a short "TODO" list for stuff to be polished here and there (nothing really important, actually... and I'll probably discard some (many?) items in this TODO list).
... Well, everything looks pretty much good, except that I recently broke the "Save/Load Replay" feature :( This is the very big problem I have with the current version of the game: replays no longer work :( :( :(
Recently, I didn't have time to seriously tackle this bug, but this is now the priority, since everything else seems ok.

- 3) TODO for everything else (2D-graphics stuff, mainly) :
- create game's skill icons
- create new animated sprites for Lemmings (because of obvious copyright issues, they can't/won't look like original Lemmings)
- create/update/improve (new/existing) tilesets
- create levels for the game, using finished tilesets
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 03:06:47 PM by LJLPM »

Offline Ben H

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 26, 2020, 07:00:27 AM »
Hi @LJLPM,
Is this still being worked on? It seemed really promising.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 12:55:09 PM by Ben H »

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 10, 2020, 12:41:41 PM »
Hi @LJLPM,
Is this still being worked on? It seemed really promising.

Hi,
Thank you for your message :)
Sorry for the lack of updates: the project is currently paused because I don't have time to seriously get back at work on it.
I didn't work on the Android game (+ the level editor) in 2020. I can only hope to work again on this project in 2021.

Project's current status is:
- coding is pretty much finished (game + level editor + basic website to upload/share your levels), but I broke the game's replay system.
- now, the main goal is to make the game's graphics.

Believe me, I don't want to have done so much work for not releasing the game. I want to see this game finished some day!! :)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 10, 2020, 01:21:35 PM »
What is that? There is a downward Builder in this game? :lem-mindblown:

(Referring to the screenshot of the Pillar level here.)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2020, 10:18:16 AM »
Yes.
Here are the game's 15 available skills, in alphabetical order (one can create levels which use all the 15 skills) :
- 1) Basher
- 2) Blocker
- 3) Bomber
- 4) Builder
- 5) Climber
- 6) Digger
- 7) DownBuilder (builds stairs which go down)
- 8) Fencer
- 9) Floater
- 10) Flyer (first, goes up ; then flies horizontally for a short time)
- 11) Glider (diagonal Floater)
- 12) Miner
- 13) Platformer (horizontal Builder)
- 14) Stacker (vertical Builder)
- 15) Walker (eg: make a U-turn, or revert a Blocker to a Walker)

It looks like most of the screenshots have been removed from the website I uploaded them on: it's too bad because I posted many, many screenshots in order to show the evolution of this project.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2020, 12:54:16 PM »
Cool, thanks for the overview!

Does the Stacker work like in NeoLemmix, or like in Lemmings 2: The Tribes? ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2020, 02:17:08 PM »
Sorry, I don't know Stackers' behaviour difference between NeoLemmix and L2 (never played L2).
Could you explain the difference, please ? ;)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 12, 2020, 11:12:47 AM »
The NeoLemmix Stacker just places 8 bricks (1 pixel in height each) in front of himself rapidly, then proceeds to walk against his own stack and turns around.

The L2 Stacker stands on top of the stack he is building (like Builders and Platformers move along with what they are building, respectively). While moving upwards, he flips back and forth between looking left and right, and the stack he builds has two columns. Whatever side he has last placed a brick on will be slightly higher than the other side. The stack can thus serve as a small staircase. The direction in which the Stacker looks when finishing is also important, because it determines whether he will fall back into the crowd or go on to be the pioneer. You can easily control this in Lemmings 2 by assigning a Jumper to the Stacker whenever he is looking into the direction you want him to go. Also, this is frequently used to adjust the height of the stack.

Meanwhile, in NeoLemmix, you mainly only distinguish between an 8-pixel stack (a wall) and a 6-pixel stack (or less), i.e. something Walkers can still ascend over.

In order to emulate an L2 Stacker in NeoLemmix, you'd have to make the Stacker a Climber, so that he climbs onto his own stack, where can build the next one. That still doesn't make him look left and right successively, though.
My packs so far:

Offline Ben H

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 24, 2020, 10:39:21 AM »
Thank you for your message :)
Sorry for the lack of updates: the project is currently paused because I don't have time to seriously get back at work on it.
I didn't work on the Android game (+ the level editor) in 2020. I can only hope to work again on this project in 2021.

Believe me, I don't want to have done so much work for not releasing the game. I want to see this game finished some day!! :)

Hey,

Thanks for replying. I'm glad to hear that it is only paused and not abandoned. :thumbsup:

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 20, 2020, 09:28:54 AM »
Hi,

Sorry for my late reply !!! :(

In the Android game, Stacker stands on top of the stack he's building (single column), and he doesn't flip back and forth between looking left and right.
But I like the idea of flipping the Stacker's side (it could lead to interesting uses) : I'll think about it :)

Currently, I really have no time available for getting back at work on the Android game, unfortunately :( It's paused but I definitively want to work on the Android game asap!!

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 21, 2020, 12:16:38 PM »
Good to hear from you, LJLPM. :) I had forgotten about this project but did really enjoy reading the progress updates when you were actively working on it. I'm sorry that most of the screenshots disappeared!