Poll

what's the Android version of your main Android device?

<3
1 (5.6%)
<4
0 (0%)
4.0 or 4.1
2 (11.1%)
4.2 or 4.3
0 (0%)
>= 4.4
15 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: [Android] Lemmings-like game (WIP)  (Read 130173 times)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
Re: [Android] Lemmings-like game (WIP)
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2015, 12:35:58 PM »
One more-obscure thing that might be worth testing with the eraser-steel combo: If you were to then use a builder in the "erased" area, does the bridge become steel, or does it function normally?
Yes, this is a good point! Thanks!
I've just checked, and inside "Steel+Eraser" areas, bridges act as normal bridges, and not as steel.

Moreover... Gliders are now added :)

(this is the very-first in-game animated preview in the topic :))

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2015, 12:58:45 PM »
Oooh, nice!

Be sure to test them very thoroughly. My experience with NeoLemmix is that Gliders have given rise to more glitches than every other skill combined.

This may be a slight exaggeration, but only a slight one.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2015, 07:05:52 PM »
Ok! The 1st tests show good results with no glitch using the gliders. I will perform more tests with different levels though.

Besides, I really struggle with making a nice Dirt-like tileset!!!!!
I tried to remake "Just Dig!" with my custom tiles, but the result wasn't good, so I threw away all my recent tiles. :(

And, in order to test my "Pillar" tileset, I also re-created "Only Floaters Can Survive This", and I liked the result. Here it is:
(note: "Terrain" tiles are finished for the following 4 tilesets: Pillar, Brick, Marble, and Colors)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2015, 08:07:41 PM »
As I always look for improving the quality of the game, I fine-tuned the source-code recently, and in case you were wondering "since there's no mouse, how will one do to perform precise moves???", then here's a screenshot showing 5 perfectly-stacked bridges 8-) So, yes, you'll be able to be precise :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2015, 08:27:55 PM »
Out of interest, how is this done?

Given the kind of setup it's being played on, I'm wondering if you've considered (or maybe are already using) a "highlight lemming" feature, similar to what Lemmings 3D has (and it also exists in NeoLemmix, and another Android game that was posted here, "Dopey Clones").
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2015, 08:42:06 PM »
Sorry, but there are some in-game features I would like to not reveal until the game is released :) For now, I can only tell that I tried my best to ensure players could easily perform precise moves and Lemmings selections.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2015, 08:36:01 PM »
I re-worked my "Marble" tileset to get better tiles:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2015, 09:07:38 PM »
Nice.

Re: Gliders; some things I'd suggest checking:
- Can they land properly on slopes of varying angles?
- What happens if they run into a corner exactly?
- What happens if they encounter a downwards slope (above them), does it act as a wall, do they descend at a faster rate to match the slope (either of which may be the intended behaviour), does it glitch?
- Do they interact with blockers properly?
- What happens if they're falling down a gap that's only one pixel wide?

These are just off the top of my head. I'll go through the NeoLemmix changelogs later and see if I can identify anything else that was problematic. (Many, but not all, were related to the glider-updraft interaction, which I presume won't matter for your game due to not having updrafts; but there were a lot that weren't, too.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2015, 11:38:33 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Here are the first results:
- 1) ok
- 2) ok
- 3) ok (currently, there's no "updraft" in the game, so this issue should be limited for now)
- 4) ko (slight adjustments to be done) / ok.
- 5) to be tested. / ok.
Everything should be ok soon is ok.

edit: a quick adaptation of ONML's "Thunder Lemmings are Go!" with the game's "Brick" tileset.
- smartphone screenshot + level zoomed-out to show the whole level
(note: level completed on my 1st try, on phone's tiny 3.5" screen (320x480px), with no missed skill-assignment, using this zoomed-out view only)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2015, 01:41:44 AM »
Nice! That actually looks really good.

One thing that does quickly come to mind - those skill quantities look more like 70 than 20.
My Lemmings projects

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2015, 05:10:05 PM »
One thing that does quickly come to mind - those skill quantities look more like 70 than 20.

Yes, it's because the bitmap is cropped on the tiny screen (I deliberately chose a smartphone with a small screen, to test the game under non-optimal conditions).
Actually, it is fully readable on most Android4+ smartphones (and, of course, it's ok on tablets :)).
I haven't spent a lot of time on this, as the display is fine on most target devices.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2015, 03:27:08 PM »
...I have to fix a nasty bug with the replays...
It looks like I've defeated the sync problem which sometimes occured with replays (at last!) :)
(I'm happy because this bug bothered me for quite a while!)

Of course, I will perform more tests, but last tests were all ok!

edit: new tests confirm correct Replay behaviour :)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2015, 03:59:52 PM »
Any progress updates on this? :)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2015, 12:16:37 PM »
well, unfortunately, I had no time for working on the game recently, so there's no interesting news :(

WIP status :
- I still have issues handling the audio part (without the audio enabled, the game is stable ; but with the audio activated, it sometimes triggers errors during the game (Java's Exceptions): it's annoying). Except this audio thing, everything else works well.
- about the gfx: I still have to create my own Lemmings sprites of course, but also nice "Dirty" and "Fire" tilesets as well. These are the most time-consuming remaining gfx tasks. Then, I will create Objects (doors, traps), and game's action icons (but this shouldn't take too long).
- I've already written some level designs on paper.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 19, 2015, 06:15:57 PM »
Today, I took time to create the online database players will use to freely share levels for the Android game (uploads & downloads).

It's something I had in mind for quite a loooooooooooooooong time, and I always postponed this project: now, it's done :)
Atm, one can only upload single levels (level packs, including multi-screenshots for packs' levels, will follow soon), and I still have to handle the rating features (fun + difficulty rates), but most of the job is done now (actually, it's very similar to http://lemmings-db.camanis.net/levelpack/list).

On the screenshot below, you can see:
- top: a list of 2 levels I've uploaded in the database
- bottom: a page that shows the details of a level stored in the database (level #2)

Uploads and downloads work as expected.

Now I need to find time to keep on working on the game's graphics... (it's a long process!)