Author Topic: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.26n-C | Editor: V1.26n-B)  (Read 123934 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.25n-C | Editor: V1.25n-B)
« Reply #555 on: November 15, 2014, 02:03:51 PM »
KNOWN BUG IN NEOLEMMIX:
(Actually, I've known about this one for a while, but I keep forgetting to both mention it and fix it.)
Stackers usually won't work if placed right on the edge of terrain; they'll stack 1 pixel in midair then walk away.

This bug is fixed for the next update. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 15, 2014, 06:19:29 PM »
Found a few more levels with a bad screen start position: Sunsoft 16 and 17. But anyway, thanks for fixing Sunsoft 19.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #557 on: November 16, 2014, 06:43:38 AM »
Thanks for that. I've fixed all the ones you reported earlier (not these two you've reported just now though, not yet anyway :P ); about Genesis 1, although the start position is very weird, it was like that in the original Genesis level too. Nonetheless, I've adjusted the start position for the NeoLemmix version now.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #558 on: November 17, 2014, 11:56:46 AM »
For those who didn't see it mentioned in Crane's topic, there is a known MAJOR issue with the editor for Lemmini and SuperLemmini levels; specifically it can cause level pieces to be removed. In the meantime please ALWAYS keep a backup copy of any Lemmini and SuperLemmini levels you're working on; I'm going to make sure this bug is fixed in the next update.

I only just received a message from Crane detailing what exactly happened in his case; reading this has given me a very good idea of what might be causing the bug though I haven't done any testing myself yet. If my suspicion about the cause is correct, this problem should not ever occur with Lemmix / NeoLemmix levels; only Lemmini / SuperLemmini.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.25n-C | Editor: V1.26n-A)
« Reply #559 on: November 17, 2014, 06:49:41 PM »
I usually prefer not to release an editor update before the associated NeoLemmix Player version, but due to the above bug I'll make an exception here.

NeoLemmix Editor V1.26n-A
--------------------------------------
*  Has new versions of a few styles with slight modifications:
    -          VGAGR4 (Crystal): Adjusted the trigger areas on the two zapper traps
    -           VGAGR8 (Bubble): Added steel pieces
    - VGAGR24 (Crystal Genesis): Adjusted the trigger areas on the two zapper traps
   This only applies to the NeoLemmix versions of the styles.
*  Support for RGB-based graphic sets, and graphic sets with up to 32 objects and/or 128 terrain
   pieces, has been added.
*  Fixed a bug that may cause pieces to disappear in Lemmini and SuperLemmini levels.
*  Fixed a bug causing the vertical screen start position to not be reset when creating a new level.
*  Piece count limits are more strictly enforced in Lemmix and NeoLemmix levels; you will not be able
   to add an extra piece if the limit has been reached. (Sometimes it will give an error message (for
   example, when pasting and the limit is exceeded), sometimes it silently just won't add a piece.
   I'll make this more consistent in a later update.)
*  Pieces in excess of the limits are removed when switching a level from (Super)Lemmini format to
   NeoLemmix format, or from any of those to CustLemm format. First, it will try compacting the list
   by moving pieces downwards into empty slots; but if any excess pieces still remain they will be
   deleted. (This behaviour previously occurred anyway but wouldn't be noticable until after saving
   the level; it's now noticable immediately upon conversion.)
*  Fixed the bug with the Validate Level option making reference to non-existant pieces.
*  Supports encrypting data files for NeoCustLemmix (support for Flexi will come later).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xngxbcyidfa7ztu/NeoLemmixEditor_V1.26n-A.zip
http://www.neolemmix.com/old/neolemmixeditor.zip

NOTE: You won't be able to play levels with the new version of the Bubble style until NeoLemmix V1.26n is released. The new versions of the Crystal style (and its Genesis version) are fine for immediate use though. Encrypted files also won't work until V1.26n. The version of LemSet used to create RGB-based graphic sets has been available for a while, but likewise, they can't actually be used in NeoLemmix until V1.26n is released. It's not far from being ready; mostly I just need to do a few more level fixes in Extra, make sure all players have the updated style, and implement some special rules regarding the save system for NeoCustLemmix. (In all likelihood, I'll probably just disable the save system altogether (except for configuration settings) in NeoCustLemmix. The same isn't true for Flexi; the save system will be fully functional there.)

EDIT: To clarify on this about the bubble set - you can still use playtest mode with bubble set levels, but the new pieces won't show up (and are likely to cause an error if you try to playtest a level that uses them). Levels that don't use the new pieces should playtest fine.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.25n-C | Editor: V1.26n-A)
« Reply #560 on: November 17, 2014, 08:36:36 PM »
Update is almost ready; just have to fix two last-minute bugs (both relating to new features) that I found, specifically:

- NeoCustLemmix: There was nothing preventing accessing the secret levels by simply using the (non-cheat) level select. Fixed now.
- LPIII Bonus (and Flexi players with a secret rank): The secret rank needs to be selectable from the menu once at least one level in it has been unlocked. Fixed now, but this in turn caused another bug: Level 1 of the rank will become accessible if at least one other level in the rank also has been unlocked. Fixed that too.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.26n | Editor: V1.26n-A)
« Reply #561 on: November 17, 2014, 09:20:40 PM »
Alright, here we go. One of the biggest updates in quite a while, and also means that pretty much all the major features are out of the way now (though of course, I need to implement some way to display the records).

NeoLemmix V1.26n
---------------------------
*  Added a save system. You can move between previously-accessed levels by pressing
   Left and Right on the preview screen, or by entering the rank name (or number)
   and level number as a code (eg: "TRICKY03" or "0203") - rank numbers must be two
   digits. Records are also kept of most lemmings saved, quickest time for completion,
   and highest score acheived, although these are not currently visible anywhere (except
   that the postview screen will say "New high score" if you beat your old one).
*  Added a configuration menu. Press F3 to access it from the main menu. Almost all
   configurable options can be set here. Accordingly, the music panel from the main
   menu has been replaced with one that indicates config options.
*  Most configurable options have been removed from the INI file and are now stored in
   the save file. The exceptions are the level background color (in all players), and
   the levelpack filename and data file prefix in Cust; these are still in the INI.
*  Supports RGB-based graphic sets, these can be created with LemSet V11.
*  Supports graphic sets with up to 32 objects and 128 terrain pieces (both of these
   are double the previous limit), these also can be created with LemSet V11.
*  Can now load encrypted data files. Note that some details of the formula for Flexi
   (specifically, differentiation between different Flexi-based packs) is not yet
   implemented, which is why the NeoLemmix Editor doesn't support encrypting for Flexi
   yet.
*  Fixed various minor issues in the Extra levels.
*  Fixed the "test.wav" bug
*  Secret ranks should no longer need to be at the end of the pack (though be warned
   that this is untested; it's just a side effect of other things in the update). The
   only limitation is that the first rank cannot be a secret rank.

Downloads:
DropBox
NeoLemmix Website: Cust | Flexi | Others

Just to be clear, I have no intention of adding the save system to Traditional Lemmix, but I do plan to add the configuration menu and the RGB-based images / 32 objects / 128 terrains graphic sets (and yes, steel pieces in the Bubble style). The graphic set thing I'm working on now, the config menu won't be done until it's completed in NeoLemmix (including the CustLemm options).

As usual, big updates probably mean a few bugs snuck in, so let me know if you find any.

(I should probably note - the fact that it jumps to a seemingly "random" level from the main menu isn't a glitch; what it's actually doing is jumping to the first level in the selected rank that has been unlocked but not completed; it'll jump to the last level if all of them have been completed.)

EDIT: I should also be clear, just before anyone wastes their time trying... no, the new gimmicks from LPO are not present in this version. I've coded it so that (for now) they only work in Omega itself, nothing else.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.26n | Editor: V1.26n-B)
« Reply #562 on: November 17, 2014, 11:49:22 PM »
It's very soon after the last update I know, but it's to add something that was meant to be in that update but I missed - supporting >64 terrains / >16 objects for Traditional levels. But while I'm at it, I added the new version of the traditional Bubble style too (I was going to just provide the updated style seperately until the next editor update, otherwise).

NeoLemmix Editor V1.26n-B
--------------------------------------
*  Has a new version of the traditional Bubble style with steel pieces added.
*  Supports more than 16 object types / 64 terrain types in traditional Lemmix format.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pphg7gc694aviun/NeoLemmixEditor_V1.26n-B.zip
or
http://www.neolemmix.com/old/neolemmixeditor.zip

If you're not planning on creating traditional Lemmix levels (or aren't going to use the Bubble style, or don't want steel in it), you probably don't need to worry about this update.

I probably won't do any more updates for a little while on anything, unless serious bugs show up. My main Lemmings focus is going to be on LPO for a while (and I'll probably put together and release LPF at some point fairly soon too).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 18, 2014, 03:58:55 PM »
Loving the new save system, this is something that works very well for NeoLemmix. I also like that you can't enable CheatCodes by the INI file anymore; that has to be done via F2.

Some things that can be improved/fixed:
  • Even when I set Music & Sound to FX, but when I exit and open the player again, the music resets to ON. No other option as far as I know are affected.
  • The force gimmicks and force skillsets should be in separate pages. Also, I find it inconvenient that you have to cycle through the gimmicks. Instead, the gimmick/skillset should follow a similar format to the gimmick/skillset menus in the NeoLemmix editor.
  • When you start the player, perhaps a screen asking you which save file you want to load before it takes you to the main menu? This can also include "new save", etc.
  • This one will make it more convenient. Normally, if you are at the first or last level of a rank that is available, you can't go from the first level to the last level rank unlocked and vice versa (e.g. press left at Fun 1 to go to Fun 26, the last level unlocked). This should be enabled.
  • Maybe try to remove the black flicker that occurs every time you change an option in the configuration menu?
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #564 on: November 18, 2014, 04:07:02 PM »
Some things that can be improved/fixed:
  • Even when I set Music & Sound to FX, but when I exit and open the player again, the music resets to ON. No other option as far as I know are affected.
  • The force gimmicks and force skillsets should be in separate pages. Also, I find it inconvenient that you have to cycle through the gimmicks. Instead, the gimmick/skillset should follow a similar format to the gimmick/skillset menus in the NeoLemmix editor.
  • When you start the player, perhaps a screen asking you which save file you want to load before it takes you to the main menu? This can also include "new save", etc.
  • This one will make it more convenient. Normally, if you are at the first or last level of a rank that is available, you can't go from the first level to the last level rank unlocked and vice versa (e.g. press left at Fun 1 to go to Fun 26, the last level unlocked). This should be enabled.
  • Maybe try to remove the black flicker that occurs every time you change an option in the configuration menu?

1) I'll look into it before the next update.
2) Probably not a bad idea to split them. I don't know how practical it is to do it like the editor, given the limited screen space and lack of mouse (though I probably could add mouse on that screen if need be, though that would make it inconsistent with the other non-game screens). I've added a general comment "improve the forced skillset / gimmick selection" to my todo list.
3) It's not a bad idea to have multiple saves, though I'll probably save (heh. no pun intended) it until I've got everything in the save system working completely fine.
4) Great idea, I'll add that one in the next update.
5) I have tried. I'll look at it again at some point, of course, but I figured it wasn't worth delaying the release (especially since the updated editor was already out and I'm sure people were itching to use that new version of the Bubble set :P ) over a minor graphical issue in the configuration menu.

EDIT: For #4, I will implement that but in the meantime - for levels you've already unlocked, you can enter their rank and level number (exactly the same as with cheat mode) to quickly jump to them. Eg: If you've unlocked Tricky 15, you can enter "TRICKY15" as a code, whether cheat mode is enabled or not. (But if you haven't unlocked it yet, this code will only work if cheats *are* enabled.)

I think the real test of the save system will be when Lemmings Plus Omega is ready for release, as that'll be the first case of new content that has the save system from Day 1.

Also - in case you were wondering, the save files can be transferred between PCs etc without any problem. But you can't use a save file from one game on a different game (eg: you can't use an Orig save on OhNo; it'll just ignore it altogether and start from scratch). At the moment, you can use a save from one Flexi game on a different Flexi game, but I plan to change this of course. This isn't based on the filename, but on the game's code seed number, so renaming OhNo to "LemmixPlayerNeo.exe" won't let you use an Orig save (and won't stop you from using an existing OhNo save from before you renamed it).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #565 on: November 19, 2014, 01:46:56 AM »
Known bug in NeoLemmix player:
If you access a later level in a rank with cheat codes before you play (or at least view the preview screen of) Level 1 of that rank, you won't be able to access Level 1 of that rank anymore unless you either access it via a cheatcode, or complete the final level of the previous rank. This is meant to happen with secret ranks but is actually happening with *all* ranks.
(This also applies if you access the later level (before accessing Level 1) via a means other than cheat codes; for example, if you were redirected to it by a secret level trigger, or by completing a secret level. Or for that matter, if you access it via regular codes.)

I've noted it and will fix it in the next update, but in the meantime, the easiest workaround is to simply use a cheat code (or the normal code) to get to the first level of the rank, and play it (or at least view the preview screen). You only need to do this once; the problem arises from the level not being marked as unlocked, once you view its preview screen it will be marked as unlocked and the problem will no longer occur. Beating the final level of the previous rank will also work (or if it's the first rank that's glitched, then beating the final level of the pack), as long as it isn't one of the "bonus" ranks that comes after the final rank (such as 2P in Orig/OhNo).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 20, 2014, 01:19:14 PM »
Should a bait-and-switch level stay as revealed in the preview screen after seeing the fake preview before seeing the actual level?

For example, after finding out what Timid 5 is, then pressing Esc and returning to the level preview, it is now displayed as "The Rickroll Level." However, after changing ranks and going back to Timid 5, the preview displays as "The Rebound" again. This can especially be weird when you select levels and you see two "The Rebound" levels. This problem does not occur when you exit the player and come back to the same level without changing ranks.

In other words, the level preview of a revealed bait-and-switch level should be retained after it is seen when starting the level, no matter what.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 20, 2014, 02:02:15 PM »
Another unacceptable bug I found: After trying to play NeoLemmix with a different background color, after I exit the game the save system crashes - therefore I can't access the levels that I used to access when I previously played. I also get a system error message when this happens, with ABCDEF being the background color.

For now, I can only save levels if the background color is plain black.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #568 on: November 22, 2014, 01:17:51 AM »
DynaLem: Originally it stayed that way as long as the game was running; but when I changed it to a general gimmick (instead of being hardcoded for one level in LPIII) I made it so it resets, so that people can have more than one such level in a pack. I'll look at a better solution for this.

Minimac: I can guess why this might be happening; I'll fix that in the next update.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.26n-B | Editor: V1.26n-B)
« Reply #569 on: November 22, 2014, 11:21:22 PM »
Okay, here's an update to fix a few bugs.

NeoLemmix V1.26n-B
-------------------------------
*  When using left/right to move through levels in a rank, you can
   now wrap around (eg: press right on Fun 30, it will go to Fun 1).
*  Fixes the bug where Level 1 of a rank becomes inaccessible if
   a later level is accessed via codes.
*  Fixes the bug where the save system won't work if a custom background
   color has been set.
*  Fixes the bug where the sound/music options aren't saved. Note that
   when first starting up the player with an old save (but not if creating
   a new one), sound and music will initially be turned off.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/87bdts83f64p1t1/AAAmGNafZCl24Fg97PVWXUjTa
http://www.neolemmix.com/old/neolemmixplayers.html

I haven't done any changes to the bait-and-switch gimmick yet (since that's an issue that'd take a bit of work to fix, but is very minor to the end user; all of these were very simple fixes and some were major issues to the user), but it has been added to my todo list. LPF has also been updated as I don't really want that background color bug in an official release. :P
My Lemmings projects