Author Topic: "The first time we've actually looked at the brand"  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
"The first time we've actually looked at the brand"
« on: December 19, 2013, 12:08:59 AM »
A recent bit of footage about Lemmings Touch revealed a snippet of interesting information, that I think deserves its own thread, since it may actually be somewhat significant to us folks here.

If you watch the clip at the above link (the coverage of Lemmings Touch is just a small part of a bigger video, so it's not actually too long), you'll hear the interviewee, Mark from Sony Europe's XDEV Studio (which is handling this game alongside the developer, d3t), state the following;

Quote from: Mark from Sony Europe's XDEV Studio
Lemmings has been around for a while now, but this is the first time that we've actually looked at the brand, and it's got a bit of a reboot and we've brought it, y'know, up to the future day.

As we all know, Sony has had their hands on the Lemmings franchise for an extremely long time, but aside from a couple of remakes/rehashes, they haven't done anything with it at all since they pulled Psygnosis out of non-Sony-hardware markets back in 1999 and fully absorbed them into the company; The last totally new Lemmings game before this was Lemmings Revolution, back in 2000 (and someone else had to snag the publishing rights just to get that one out there).

It's nice to finally see a clear statement that they're now looking at Lemmings properly, and are opting to do something new with it. With any luck, this won't be like before, and hopefully there's actually some commitment to make more games and such, instead of, essentially, brand-squatting for another 13 years. Here's hoping. :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: "The first time we've actually looked at the brand"
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 04:21:36 AM »
This could be good.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 03:21:21 PM »
Except it's Sony, so I expect the worst. I predict microtransactions and achievements at the very least. (-:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 03:28:32 AM »
Please keep microtransactions out of our lemmings. I am okay with achievements. (Actually, the PS3 version of Lemmings is the only game I've ever collected 100% of achievements on.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 04:37:18 AM »
to be honest, I'm not real excited. I mean, I'm glad they may be making new games. IF they do I hope they do something in the direction of Lemmings Revolution, or expound and improve on the concepts from that game; simply cause it's my favorite. But it's unlikely I suppose.

I'm happy with Lemmini and the other free programs we have; even if they have their flaws. I'll take level designs by you guys any day over Sony's paid henchmen  :D :P
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 10:26:28 PM »
I'll take level designs by you guys any day over Sony's paid henchmen  :D :P

-- Simon

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile