Author Topic: Level design contest #3!  (Read 25935 times)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
Re: Level design contest #3!
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2013, 09:25:01 PM »
I am going to participate and I don't have any problem with the original deadline. :)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2013, 01:46:13 AM »
I just spent 3 hours making a level and I was finally happy with the design/looks and now lemmix just crashed.  :disagree:
I'll remake it tomorrow so expect a level then :D

EDIT: Actually I'd have to backroute test it loads first so expect a level not tomorrow

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2013, 03:12:55 AM »
ok, but if need be I will wait a little bit for people who told me they wanted to join earlier, to join.

I just spent 3 hours making a level and I was finally happy with the design/looks and now lemmix just crashed.  :disagree:

I understand your pain Gronkling  :'(
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 12:32:35 AM »
Here is my level. I couldn't find any backroutes but looking at last contest, that doesn't really make much difference... . :P

Lake Guardian

Tileset: Dirt
Lemmings: 3
Time: 4:00
Release Rate: 1
% to save: 100

EDIT: Just noticed that this level looks a bit like my avatar  ??? That was unintentional EDIT2: Well it doesn't anymore

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 06:54:45 PM »
Hey Gronkling, is your level surely meant to be played in Custom Lemmings viewer style? I just noticed that when playing in Dos Orig. viewer style, lemmings of course fall from the entrance one pixel more left than in CustLemm, and the second lemming (the middle hatch lemming) survives the fall, unlike with CustLemm mechanics?

This seems a really hard level if it's meant for CustLemm, I've now tried it for a while and I'm not even close to save all three lemmings. :P

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 06:57:11 PM »
Hey Gronkling, is your level surely meant to be played in Custom Lemmings viewer style? I just noticed that when playing in Dos Orig. viewer style, lemmings of course fall from the entrance one pixel more left than in CustLemm, and the second lemming (the middle hatch lemming) survives the fall, unlike in CustLemm mechanics?

This seems a really hard level if it's meant for CustLemm, I've now tried it for a while and I'm not even close to save all three lemmings. :P

No, custlemm is correct! :D (Also phew that probably means no obvious backroutes)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 07:00:37 PM »
Okay. :D And you remember that glitches aren't allowed? ;P

Just kidding, well done, at least for me it seems that there is no easy solutions at all, so you've succeeded pretty well blocking the most obvious backroutes right from the initial version.

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, 06:20:44 PM »
Akseli backrouted V1 with a cool route, saving 1 blocker. V2 is attached (Now let's hope my habit of creating new backroutes by fixing old ones doesn't come in).

Lake Guardian:

Akseli: Backroute V1

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2013, 02:50:53 AM »
Gronkling found another pretty good backroute in the same version, but isn't too far from the intended solution in places.  I still haven't completed Gronkling's level yet - wow that is hard!

Thanatos Gambit:

- Pieuw - backroute (v0)
- Akseli - backroute (v0), backroute (v1), backroute (v2), backroute (v3)
- Gronkling - glitch (v0), glitch (v1), backroute (v2), backroute * 2 (v3)
- möbius - backroute (v0)
- Clam Spammer - backroute (v2)

Find attached version 5 (numbered 4, since I started at 0)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 04:31:58 AM »
Here's my (rather minimalistic) entry. I didn't have much time, but hopefully it isn't completely trivial, and I put some effort into the design too.

I'll only have my computer until Dec 31st for level testing, so personally I'd rather you don't move the level submission deadline, as otherwise I probably can't participate in the solving phase.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2013, 04:43:01 AM »
Not long to go and I still haven't come up with any good ideas... if I don't come up with something soon, I might try my usual trick of making an easy level as a starting point then looking for ways to make it harder...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2013, 06:25:06 AM »
^ Likewise. I plan to make easy levels for my Lix set so something harder could well evolve out of that :). I've just been super busy lately, this weekend things settle down for christmas (hopefully) so I'll have a go then.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2013, 05:23:27 PM »
Well, I think I've won the award for the most backrouted level!

Gronkling's backroute is almost identical to the last one he found, with one minor change in basher positioning, while Akseli's is a brand new one.

Thanatos Gambit:

- Pieuw - backroute (v0)
- Akseli - backroute (v0), backroute (v1), backroute (v2), backroute (v3), backroute (v4)
- Gronkling - glitch (v0), glitch (v1), backroute (v2), backroute * 2 (v3), backroute (v4)
- möbius - backroute (v0)
- Clam Spammer - backroute (v2)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2013, 06:46:46 PM »
-currently Gronkling and Akseli are tied with 7 solves each.
-So far Gronkling's level appears the hardest with only one backroute reported by Akseli.
-jammer64's is the only level to be solved intended and by everyone

geoo's level looks interesting (and much harder than it appears no-doubt) I'm glad you prevented direct dropping to the exit from the start this time  ;)

there are four levels out now!

Not long to go and I still haven't come up with any good ideas... if I don't come up with something soon, I might try my usual trick of making an easy level as a starting point then looking for ways to make it harder...

yeah I guess I need to do this as well. I've been making levels for chips challenge lately and it seems like I am only able to focus my creativity on one game at a time or something..  :-\
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2013, 10:56:22 PM »
I pretty much took a creativity "loan" from my future self to make LPII... I'm all dried up at the moment... xD
I'm sure I'll think of something though. Although I'm busy today and tomorrow, so that only gives me two days to put a level together... there again, even some of the best LPII levels (such as Panic Attack) were made in well under an hour.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)