Author Topic: Level design contest #3!  (Read 25974 times)

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
Re: Level design contest #3!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 09:47:35 AM »
Gronkling sort-of backrouted my level by partially penetrating steel plates

This sounds just like him :D

Offline Tim

• Skype name: timfoxxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »
Do the levels made need to be difficult to solve? I remember making one level that was a superlemming level, although I cant remember what it was exactly. But if that type is not accepted, dont worry I wont submit :P

Offline jammer64

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 10:59:32 AM »
Well, I haven't found anything in rules about not using superlemming ;)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 01:11:22 PM »
Do the levels made need to be difficult to solve? I remember making one level that was a superlemming level, although I cant remember what it was exactly. But if that type is not accepted, dont worry I wont submit :P

there is no restriction on difficulty. Levels can be as easy or as difficult as you want. :)
Only restriction is 5 or less lemmings
----------
still planning on making a level of my own, still not getting many good ideas  :(
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 01:56:14 PM »
Akseli managed to backroute the second version (v1 in my numbering system) with a good degree of elegance.

Thanatos Gambit:

- Pieuw - backroute (v0)
- Akseli - backroute (v0), backroute (v1)
- Gronkling - glitch (penetrating steel plates) (v0)
- möbius - backroute (v0)

Just to clarify, though they played the level differently, Akseli and möbius' solutions for v0 are more or less the same backroute.  I'm not sure if Akseli's solution of v1 can be done on v0 due to the different position of the terrain.

The problem with harder levels is that they are much more difficult to reinforce against backroutes - never underestimate experts and masters!

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 02:25:39 PM »
It seems in my haste to make the level look pleasant to look at, as well as entice the player with red herrings, I opened up a backroute that is much more obvious than the intended solution (this is not the one Akseli found).  There are some minor variants to the intended solution that would pass though.  Here is the third version (v2).

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 04:34:31 PM »
Akseli is too good at this!  He used a similar variant to his last backroute to complete v2.  Gronkling glitched v1 by using a bomber to break the steel plates on the drop (which I anticipated and fixed in v2 anyway), and backrouted v2.  The way I see it though... what better way than making a good level than this kind of testing?!

Thanatos Gambit:

- Pieuw - backroute (v0)
- Akseli - backroute (v0), backroute (v1), backroute (v2)
- Gronkling - glitch (v0), glitch (v1), backroute (v2)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 05:39:14 PM »
thanks Crane and Jammer for being detailed and mentioning glitches and so forth.
Just to be clear; I'm not making a distinction in solutions of glitch or not just backroute and intended solution (since glitches are not allowed in intended solutions for this contest) But it's nice to have the details anyway.

I attached the current spreadsheet. If it's difficult to understand ask me how it works. And if you have a more efficient way to tally scores let me know.
I will use an equation at the end to ask for total "B"s (backroutes and "I"s (intended).
-------
does Google documents have equation features? I only recently learned about this from Pieuw and CCZone.

---
Crane: your level changed quite a bit as far as solution goes. I was really way off.  :D But it still looks nice.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 06:41:43 PM »
I hope I didn't change it too much to the point that it's a different level.  I was trying to patch backroutes while keeping the level pretty and also keeping the intended solution mostly the same (some positioning has changed slightly).

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 11:55:26 PM »
Successful backroute from Clam Spammer, and very elegant too - nice one.  He also said there was something to be said about a level that has a time limit of 9 minutes and has 30 seconds left on the clock when the last lemming exits!

Thanatos Gambit:

- Pieuw - backroute (v0)
- Akseli - backroute (v0), backroute (v1), backroute (v2)
- Gronkling - glitch (v0), glitch (v1), backroute (v2)
- Clam Spammer - backroute (v2)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2013, 06:47:54 PM »
Well, no more submissions for now, so I gather players haven't found any more backroutes yet.  Hopefully that means I can release the next version with everything patched.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2013, 10:05:32 PM »
Gronkling took advantage of an oversight of mine when I modified the upper level slightly!  Good job with that backroute, but extra points for using all the tools!  Akseli took advantage of my oversight too!

Thanatos Gambit:

- Pieuw - backroute (v0)
- Akseli - backroute (v0), backroute (v1), backroute (v2), backroute (v3)
- Gronkling - glitch (v0), glitch (v1), backroute (v2), backroute (v3)
- Clam Spammer - backroute (v2)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 12:37:56 AM »
Thanks for keeping us updated. I will try the latest version again too when I get time.

to everyone else, a Friendly reminder:

Two weeks left to submit your level! (unless somebody asks for an extension)

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline jammer64

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 08:16:20 AM »
Clam also did it!

Tree House:

- Möbius - intended
- Proxima - intended
- Gronkling - intended
- Crane - intended
- Pieuw - intended
- Akseli - intended
- Clam Spammer - intended

Despite no real backroutes I wonder whether the right side is not too simple and obvious. I'll try to introduce some modifications at a cost of open-ended solutions.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2013, 09:20:30 PM »
since there's been no activity for almost a week, I think I will extend the deadline. As a reminder: it originally was Dec. 22, which is a week away. I'd like to get confirmation of people making levels or participating before ending phase 1 prematurely.

deadline for phase 1: to be decided whenever activity picks up again  :-\

(not that I haven't been trying super hard to make my own level; I definitely haven't been playing too much chip's challenge lately or anything like that  ;P )

-Hakuin Ekaku