Author Topic: Level design contest #3!  (Read 25979 times)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
Re: Level design contest #3!
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2013, 11:31:28 PM »
Crane backrouted v1 and v4 of my level, here's v5. This is already now my most backrouted level... :P

Ethereality:
- Gronkling - backroute (v1), backroute (v2), backroute (v3), intended (v4)
- Crane - backroute (v1), backroute (v4)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2013, 01:04:04 AM »
Hey, no sweat.  Just look at the metrics for my level!  But what better way to make super-hard puzzles than to have the masters test them? (Well, I'm a better designer than player)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2013, 03:25:47 AM »
unless there is protesting: the end of the solving phase will be on Dec 30, a week from now. I will accept late level submissions up until Thursday December 26.

-------------
to be clear: nobody's found the intended solution to Crane's level?

and no backroutes have been found on geoo's  :o (Jammer's too but he admitted letting multiple solutions ok )
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2013, 03:44:03 AM »
I feel embarrassed, but yes, no-one has found the intended solution on Thanatos Gambit; backroutes, on the other hand...

UPDATE: Due to my unusual numbering system, I actually have 9 versions of the level, not 8 (the 1st was v0 and the 9th was v8).

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2013, 06:11:49 AM »
Actually, Gronkling found a (silly) backroute to v1, so here's a fix.

Gate to Hades:
- Gronkling - intended, backroute (v1)
- Akseli - intended

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »
I've been sick guys, so I haven't really been able to focus on this contest. In a few days once I get better I'll get back to it.  :)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2013, 01:28:47 AM »
Okay, but what we're going to do with geoo's issue now because he's leaving, are we trying to end the contest before the year 2014, or should we compile the results for only geoo's level before 2014, or should we continue normally and geoo will get the results when he'll come back after a few months? :P

I'm having troubles with the last versions of Gronkling's and Crane's levels. I'm also still waiting for levels from some people...! :P I don't know how the theme affects the activity, because at least in my opinion the theme of this contest isn't very limiting, lots of levels with many lemmings can work similarly if they had only five or less lemmings. I'd guess that this theme is relatively easy to come up with a level idea, or then it's just that there's so much variety that it's hard to find a good idea for a level (?).

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2013, 03:21:23 AM »
the solving phase will end Tuesday December 31 the day geoo leaves. (And this ends all late submission, UNLESS suddenly, magically a bunch of people drop in and start making levels. Then voting starts. geoo said he would try to enter his votes early before this but for everyone else, wait until this date to start voting.

I'd compile results on geoo's level singularly for him but I really can't sit at my computer for any length of time right now. so I guess you'll have to wait, sorry.

Of course now when I'm sick and it's almost too late I get an idea for a level  :sick:

agreed on Gronkling's level. He also seems to be trying to usurp geoo's title of hardest level creator.  :D
Maybe it was a bad time of year to hold the contest on account of the holidays. Well we can always have another!

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2013, 04:25:04 AM »
Don't worry about me. You can have the contest go on for longer if you want, heck, you can even extend the level submission phase and nag people to make submissions to have a few more levels in the pool (Clam, Steve, Pieuw, namida, ..., and of course yourself, mobius!). I'm not even sure whether I'll have enough time tomorrow to give the new versions of the existing levels a good shot.
As for determining whether a solution to my level is intended or not - for simplicity, if you don't have the time to look at the actual solutions, you could just consider any solution to version 2 of my level intended. Either way, I got a level submitted to the contest, that's all that counts for me.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2014, 07:22:37 PM »
The contest is postponed until I feel better or drop dead which is liable to happen the way things are going. So you may continue to upload replays, levels and anything until then.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2014, 12:24:48 AM »
Lake Guardian:

Akseli: Backroute V1
Geoo: Backroute V2 , Backroute V3

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2014, 01:03:09 PM »
Here is my final version of my level, unless someone breaks it spectacularly.  It doesn't patch any backroutes really, but is just a slight bit of extra polish.

One backroute from Gronkling remains, but because it's so hard to pull off, especially compared to the intended solution, I've decided to let it remain.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2014, 12:43:25 AM »
for various reasons I will be extending the contest a few weeks or so.

anybody can still: enter a level. And you will not be penalized for being late. A new deadline will be determined and then late points will be penalized if you go beyond that date.

anybody can continue to solve levels and enter replays

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2014, 10:03:43 PM »
solving phase will end tomorrow.  So if anybody wants to try solving any more levels, better hurry.

(It's well past the due date already and I want to get to other interesting activities!) *hint, hint*

===========================

Also: Voting will now begin! Please submit your votes to me via PM. vote in four categories:

-appearance (best looking) 1-10 (1 worst, 10 best)
-most fun to play
-most original
-difficulty (1 easy, 10 hard) (this score will not be reflected in scores and no award is given)

note: there are five levels;

Tree House by   jammer64
Thanatos Gambit by Crane
LAKE GUARDIAN by gronkling
Gate To Hades by geoo
Ethereality by   Akseli

voting will be open for 1 week. Please get yer votes in by then.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2014, 10:41:03 PM »
It would be best to see the intended solutions before voting on originality so could you publicly release them after the solving deadline finishes? (Also did you get that folder with all of my solutions)