Author Topic: [PC][RPG] Legends of an Otherworld  (Read 57892 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Spoiler tag not really needed:  would it be enough if the sellback price is the same as for the "regular" item you are comparing with in your list?  Or do you still prefer a higher sellback price?

This is assuming that the "regular" item is also readily available (perhaps more so) from steals/drops as well, so that there is no particular advantage for the "nonregular" item to have same sellback price as the regular one, since you could always grind for the regular item instead for same amount of money.

I should also confess that it doesn't seem to be my playing style in general to grind for money, except for special cases like playing a low-level game.  That could well explain why I seem generally less bothered by item resale values.  But I guess it depends on the game as well, I could easily see a game where money is harder to come by or items tend to be more expensive than the player can afford without extra grinding.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Would it be enough if the sellback price is the same as for the "regular" item you are comparing with in your list?  Or do you still prefer a higher sellback price?
Yes, already geting the same amount as for the "regular" item would be nice.

I should also confess that it doesn't seem to be my playing style in general to grind for money, except for special cases like playing a low-level game.  That could well explain why I seem generally less bothered by item resale values.
I am not grinding for money either, especially as I am usually pretty rich already and don't need the additional money. Still it somhow rubs my sense of fairness... :-\

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Money is not the easiest to come by in the early parts of this game.

My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
As I've mentioned in chat, I'm going to release an update that rebalances the difficulty in a few parts (such as the road to Trivia). This will also include a few bugfixes - in particular the reorder-on-escape bug, the glitchiness of Blessing, and a crash during one of the storyline bosses under certian conditions.

This update won't deliberately include new content, but it is possible that newer content exists in the source code than is in the latest release. If this is the case, that content will be included in the update.

I'm hoping to get this update done by Friday at the absolute latest (preferably sooner).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
If you're going to be doing an update... in my latest video, I give a few suggestions for improving one of the battles I found extremely annoying:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, as I've mentioned in chat, I hope you will reconsider your idea of having the Sensor ability automatically on. Yes, it's extremely helpful for a few bosses (like DT) that heavily depend on anticipating the boss's next move; but most of the time it's ugly screen clutter. At the very least, maybe instead of an ability it could be a setting that the player could turn on or off at any time?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
At the very least, maybe instead of an ability it could be a setting that the player could turn on or off at any time?

I could look into this. However, don't you think that, especially in a turn-based game where many factors can influence turn timing (Agility stat, buffs / debuffs, Haste / Slow, and even which attack you use can affect how quickly your next turn comes - the turn order gauge adjusts for this when you hover over any attack, too), it's quite important to have turn order visible?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
This will also include a few bugfixes - in particular the reorder-on-escape bug, [...]
I don't know what others prefer, but I would like to return to the order at the beginning of the battle in any case, even without fleeing the battle. In other words: Any switching done during the battle should not have an impact on the order after the battle. Only explicit formation changes in the character menu should have an impact.
I am aware that my suggestion is probably another piece on non-standard RPG-mechanics, so don't hesitate to tell me why this is suggestion is idiotic. :P

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
I could look into this. However, don't you think that, especially in a turn-based game where many factors can influence turn timing (Agility stat, buffs / debuffs, Haste / Slow, and even which attack you use can affect how quickly your next turn comes - the turn order gauge adjusts for this when you hover over any attack, too), it's quite important to have turn order visible?

Strange question -- you can see from my video series that I don't consider it important. I put Sensor on for two battles (Returner and DT) and never used it apart from that. (And I wouldn't have needed it for Returner if I'd understood how the fight works; I didn't bother with it for DR.) Sensor is absolutely essential for DT, in which the boss's move sequence is entirely fixed, and the battle hinges on knowing what's coming next and fully preparing for it -- which requires actions from all party members and knowing when to switch them. In most fights, though, knowing when the boss will act doesn't tell you what it will do; so most gameplay consists of either reacting to the boss's last move, or deciding that your current strength is sufficient and you can afford to get in some attacks.

It could just be a matter of different players having different styles of gameplay, which goes back to my suggestion of making it an option so that we're both happy.

I don't know what others prefer, but I would like to return to the order at the beginning of the battle in any case, even without fleeing the battle. In other words: Any switching done during the battle should not have an impact on the order after the battle. Only explicit formation changes in the character menu should have an impact.
I am aware that my suggestion is probably another piece on non-standard RPG-mechanics, so don't hesitate to tell me why this is suggestion is idiotic. :P

That's an interesting point. Because of how the EXP/AP system works, I constantly need to switch in battle, and then revert to my usual front four. For random encounters, I just leave the party as-is and switch in battle to save time, but for bosses I need to switch before the battle starts. Either way, it would be a convenience to keep the front four fixed as you suggest. But other players might prefer it not to work this way and might get confused if they switch during battle and expect the switched actor to remain active.

Alternatively, consider changing the EXP/AP mechanics. Constantly switching the party members gets rather tiresome. (Though I admit, the fact that you have to choose only four to receive AP does make for some interesting choices.) Another refinement would be to allow knocked-out members to receive EXP. I know this is a traditional FF mechanic, but, as Simon would say, just because it's traditional doesn't necessarily mean it's good.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Switching characters in-battle is a mechanic I haven't seen in many games. I can maybe think of three - Final Fantasy X, Pokemon and Jade Cocoon. How it affects levelling is different between all three, so I'm not sure if any standard rule really exists. Instead, I should make sure this game's mechanic is clearly explained - and definitely that there isn't an NPC who outright lies about it*.

* Technically, what the NPC in question says WAS true in early builds
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Regarding returning to original order after any battle - this should be doable. I will have to check whether it causes issues with one specific boss battle though (if you've fought the one I'm thinking of, you can probably guess that it's the one).

EDIT: It appears that "return to original order after battle no matter what" is already in the source code.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:07:36 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Rebalance update is ready.

First, I dropped the "Curse of Saria" subtitle from the game's name. It doesn't fit that well with how the storyline evolved as I was making it.

I don't think any new content is available compared to the current build - although a bit exists in the code, it's quite buggy and only partly complete so I decided to block access to it for now.

Most strongly affected areas are the path to Yuvia, and the Eastern Ranges. There's a few small tweaks elsewhere. Notably, also, the Sensor ability has been removed; turn order is now always visible. AP costs have also been altered, most of the changes being reductions (you'll get an AP boost when you load an old save to compensate for that you may have already learnt skills at a higher price). Some MP / BP costs have been tweaked too. Three moves have had significant alterations: Use no longer has any MP cost; Stand Ground now only lasts until the character's next turn but also counters magical attacks (the first half of this is actually what it was intended to do; it lasting indefinitely was a glitch); and Outrage has been removed altogether and replaced with a new skill, "Gamble".

Also, Blessing should no longer be glitchy. :)

Fresh download: Download via DropBox
Upgrade: Download via DropBox
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:34:57 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [PC][RPG] Legends of an Otherworld
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2017, 03:44:03 PM »
Here is some more feedback and bug reports. Note that I was still using the old version to play these parts.

Until the underground city (click to show/hide)

Bug reports - Spoilers (click to show/hide)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2017, 01:52:31 AM »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2017, 03:47:45 AM »
As per Proxima's request, I added an option to show or hide the turn order meter. It's even (or rather, only) possible to change the setting in-battle.
My Lemmings projects