Author Topic: What video game(s) are you playing at the moment?  (Read 116168 times)

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
What video game(s) are you playing at the moment?
« on: March 14, 2013, 09:42:37 PM »
Well, apart from Lemmings - which everybody should play regularly, what video games are tickling your pickles at the moment?

I'm quite enjoying the Call of Duty series at the moment - it's a refreshing change from Lemmings, but what are you enjoying?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: What video game(s) are you playing at the moment?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:36:39 PM »
DROD / DROD:RPG -- an excellent and very complex series of puzzle games. I fell a little bit out of love with a series a while back because there are so many elements, allowing experienced designers to create extremely demanding puzzles, and it has the same problem as any puzzle game, the best designers are always the same ones who can and want to design hard levels, so in spite of the huge number of usermade holds, it's very tricky to find good quality medium-difficulty stuff. However, I recently got back into the series thanks to the prequel, Gunthro and the Epic Blunder, which cuts down the number of elements used and is intended as a gateway to the series (both in difficulty and plot). DROD:RPG is a more mathematical spinoff (it's not actually an RPG) which I prefer to the main DROD series, but sadly there are far fewer usermade holds available for it at the moment.

Sonic (Genesis) games -- Recently I discovered soniccenter.org, a website where you can post your best times and number of rings for individual levels, and that's helped me get back into playing the Sonic games. My times are awful, but I really enjoy the puzzle aspect of finding a route to maximise the number of rings. They also have races every Saturday, rotating through all the numerous Sonic games, and I compete whenever one of the Genesis games comes up, and nearly always come last or second-last 8)

Repton series -- Actually, I haven't been playing these much recently, as Richard (the head honcho of Superior Software) has shown no sign of putting in that extra bit of effort needed to get Extravaganza finally released. I contributed well over a hundred levels for that, so it's hard to feel motivated at the moment. But I do have an ongoing project (five of seven parts done) to post a playthrough of Repton 2: Caverns to my YouTube channel, so I should continue with that whenever I can.

Iji -- I also have a technically ongoing project to post a playthrough of a "perfect game" on Iji, but I haven't touched this for a couple of years.

Final Fantasy IX -- I'm not actually playing this, but right now the guide for the "Excalibur II perfect game" challenge is nearing completion of its absolutely final revision. (One of the toughest "perfect game" challenges in any game, as the Excalibur II can only be got if you reach its location within 12 hours, so you have to fit everything into that time limit.) I contributed to the development of the guide in its early stages, so I'm enjoying watching the final stages and some of the accompanying video runs, which are truly awesome in terms of how they manage to fit doing everything perfectly into the time constraint.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 04:16:49 AM »
Just a couple of my all-time favourites: Age of Empires 2 and Age of Mythology. I'm still finding new things to do in these games - there are so many ways to set up a map and it randomly generates a new one each time. There's also Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (essentially Star Wars meets Age of Empires), but it crashes randomly on my PC which makes it essentially unplayable (edit: now fixed!). If/when I get a laptop (which I'll need soon anyway) getting this working will be a high priority :)

Also Lix of course :)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 06:08:44 AM »
Pretty much nothing. I'm doing what I've basically done for the past few years, doing some Lemmings stuff, and less frequently some Sonic 2 ROM hacking. And even less frequently I try out some indie game. I liked Iji when I played it quite a while ago.

On my immediate to-play list (which means it might have a chance of happening within the next few months) are the game Perspective (made by some students of a game design university, you can get all the games for free there, this in particular here: https://www.digipen.edu/?id=1170&proj=25930), which seems like it's a continuous instead of discrete version of Fez, mechanics-wise. And Anti-chamber, which is about topological spaces or something...

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 07:55:27 AM »
Well, at the moment I have been playing Worms 3D and Sonic Adventure (The PC DX version) on the PC. On both of these games I notice that you can change the sounds by renaming the files (especially the speeches and the music), and I find that so funny, although I might potentially throw caution to the wind, as it's an irreversible process.

I have Xbox360, and I've got plenty of games, but the ones I play are usually the sports or racing games (like FIFA 13, Forza Motorsport 4 and WWE 13). I'm not into shooters or RPGs.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 08:31:19 PM »
lately the only other game I play is chips challenge. I recently finished my official first custom level pack of 40 levels.  :o [creating levels for CC goes a lot faster than in Lemmings]. So far I haven't gotten much feedback on it though so I haven't messed around with it recently. There's two big custom community packs I haven't played yet.

A while ago I bought Dark Souls for the PC and was highly dissapointed to discover the PC version differs greatly from the other versions and has all kinds of problems. On top of that I found I don't really care for the game period. Every 3D game I play, the controls feel stiff, uncomfortable, or hard to handle, after playing Valve games (which usually are so good you feel like you're really there moving around).

everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 02:05:22 AM »
Currently, not a lot. I'm going through older games that I missed out on for various reasons, primarily.

One of those is Fire & Ice: The Daring Adventures of Cool Coyote, for the Commodore Amiga, and that's the main one right now. It's of no relation to "Fire 'n' Ice", the prequel to Solomon's Key. :P

Fire & Ice is a platform game in which you have to freeze and shatter enemies in order to find parts of a key, so that you can progress to the next level (extra lives can be gained by guiding two coyote puppies per level to the exit, also). More info is located here and here, and the legal download from preservation group Back To The Roots, who have permission to redistribute it freely, can be found here, in the "ADF Games" section.

It's already good, challenging, and very well-made, but it's improved greatly by some Amiga emulators allowing you to map up to a button, so that you don't have to tackle the dreaded practice of pressing up in order to jump, which makes it harder than it should be. :P

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 12:16:40 PM »
Hi guys

There is a really good puzzle game I used to play which was called Fitznik, made by the New Zealand company screaming duck software, what a game, I managed to finish all the levels but it does make your brain explode with the puzzles. 

http://www.screamingduck.com/

If you get a chance download the demo, I'm sure any lemmings fan will love fitznik

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »
My dads mate and I have been trying to get Fire and Ice to work on the atari st, I think this was the game I used to play as a kid because I remember playing this underwater type game which I suppose was the demo version of the game but I could be wrong as my memory is foggy in this area.

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 11:25:59 AM »
I'm playing Baldur's Gate at the moment. I love occidental RPGs and had never played this classic. Luckily, the Steam Summer Sale showed up and I jumped at the chance. I have to say I'm having a great time even though it's not an easy game to tackle nowadays. The adventure is great and I LOVE the humourous tone of it : crazy characters and many cultural references make it very enjoyable.

I'm not playing Lemmings now, because I worked a lot on my pack and I need to take a break. Just a little one... :)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 07:41:31 AM »
I got Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds to work! Turns out this old game can't handle the newfangled graphics acceleration stuff - turn it off and you're good!

It's not as fun as I remember though. Oh well. Still good for nostalgia value once in a while :)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 03:26:24 AM »
hey Pieuw, what's your name on Steam? mine is donut munching moron  :D

there are a lot of good new games out recently

I suddenly got hooked on Marble Drop again. It's a very addictive game, I mentioned it once before:
note: turn down volume, this person has it really loud for some reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THnTivcweF4

very challenging but fun puzzles. Simon, you would like this game as there is no time limit. There are five bonus levels which can only be accessed via a special extral puzzle built into the levels before them.
I really wish a level editor could be made for this game and a community with it too. That would be so sweeeeeet!

Then there's this amazing game which I already talked about a ton; but seriously deserves that much mention:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F73rWC_3oSc

It really is an amazing, amazing game, definitely worth the measly $20. As Nerd3 says the less you know about it before playing the better.

Then there's also this also amazing game which I just began playing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1S796fXtl4
It's very funny and I expect it be frustrating (in a good way).

as Pieuw said, after working on this big pack, I need a break from Lemmings for a little while
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 09:46:26 PM »
hey Pieuw, what's your name on Steam? mine is donut munching moron  :D

I just added you :)

I am now playing Rayman Origins, and I think it's awesome even though it can be really frustrating sometimes. I'm near the end I guess.
I also started to play Revenge of the Lemmings... ta-dah-dah-dah ! :thumbsup:

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 04:23:23 AM »
that game perspective looks awesome. I'll be playing that while I wait for a game I ordered through MAIL on EBAY  :o  :o called RHEM. It's old adventure/puzzle game similar to Myst, which is one of my favorites so pretty sure I'll love it.

I was playing Portal today, trying for the transmission received achievement and encountered a possible glitch. Somehow I broke a door.

In chamber 14, I was carrying a cube over to the button. I don't remember exactly how it happened but I jumped on the button and jumped off and the cube got thrown, then there was an explosion sound out of nowhere and the door stayed open even though nothing was on the button. The button stayed in the up position even when I stepped on it or put things on it and the door was permanently open.

What I'm guessing is that I somehow triggered a fail safe program to prevent some actual glitch from happening. After the explosion the block ended up near the door so perhaps the block went into the door before it closed; thus jamming it; and for some reason they decided to have it "break" the door in this way. in any case it felt very satisfying  :D

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Tim

• Skype name: timfoxxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 07:54:14 AM »
I am kind of in a varied state of gaming at this point. I have been wanting to play my xbox 360 lately, but I only have a few family members on my xbl friends list, and so it makes its a little hard to go at any games alone, especially during the day. I much prefer co-op games with friends. Roughly got 15-20 games on it since getting it a few months ago.

As for the PC, it is mainly World of Warcraft, but on occasion I might do something else, like Everquest 2. Up until recently I have been focusing on one or two games overall. Still not sure what to do though :P