Author Topic: Level Review – DoveLems  (Read 42197 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Level Review – DoveLems
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 10:10:26 PM »
I so agree with you, and we are going to see this especially in the later ratings. And For the Honour is also these tutorial levels I admire, I find that bombers are used here much more elegantly than just for getting through walls.

I think the first bomber level is probably the best intro for bombers ever. As it involves timing but not precise, better than the original games' level. well done. I’m curious if Dodochocalo is actually an artist or in that field. It certainly shows if he is.

Plain 12 - Don't Let Them Leave the Way

Lemmings: 20
Save: 50%
RR: 1
Time: 5 minutes

[oops, forgot the skills]: 10 of everything

Good: Layout is interesting and complicated, leaving a variety of solutions but none of them are too easy. The Design is good. It's fairly easy for beginners to get 100% (I think... difficult to judge since I'm not a beginner...) Also, the three entrances are a nice touch.

Bad: the only thing that looks a little bit bad is the double acid pool, but this is unavoidable if you want to make "thicker" acid. Some people don't mind it.

note: this level looks different in the picture than my own...[the acid pool looks a little different in the picture] (maybe this was already talked about)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 08:18:35 AM »
^ There are two versions of the levels floating around, which would explain some minor differences. @Gronkling: Were the pictures taken from the old version or the new version?

(Yet another reminder to make sure you have the correct version.)

---

Plain 13 - The World Stem

Lemmings: 30
Save: 15 (50%)
RR: 20
Time: 4
Skills: 10 - 10 - 0 - 10 - 20 - 10 - 10 - 0

Good: It's a little more complicated than just float and build back. About the right difficulty for its place.

Bad: The grass covered in one-way arrows looks weird. Digging skills aren't useful here anyway, so they could just as well be left out and the arrows removed.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 12:42:16 PM »
Hey guys, that's the correct picture for Plain 12.
Super awesome work with the pictures, Gronkling! :thumbsup: They are even better than I hoped! Graphics are Lemmini style, all pictures are from the most fresh version of DoveLems, and I even like those sizes! What differs them from authentic gameplay: background is black instead of dark blue,
And you know, you can check from the level files when they have been modified last time. For example, this Don't Let Them Leave the Way has changed last time on August 2009, so there are no differences between our two versions. And like I said, Gronkling made the correct pictures (I checked all of them myself, and I have a pretty good view which levels Dodochacalo has updated and when), and I also mentioned about the black background, so some might have already guessed that the screenshots have been taken from Lemmix. I just checked this out why the liquid seems a bit different, because I didn't know it at first, but yes, in Lemmix it looks a bit different (the level image) than in authentic gameplay in Lemmini (like the background colour issue, too). But I have no idea why.
I don't mind about double liquid pools, I think they create a nice three-dimensional appearance. :D

Here are some issues which I guess will come out when we'll think if they're good or bad things throughout this levelset, and of course I'll encourage you to comment about these in your reviews if you want! :)

1. Level titles - Dodochacalo is a Frenchman. There can be some strange stuff in the titles (for me as another non-native English speaker I actually find most of the titles very neat). Roundthewheel commented this nicely about Dodochacalo in his YouTube video:
Non-native English speakers often have access to avenues of imagery that we with our familiar vocabularies and highly idiomatic usage tend not to explore.

2. Repeats - They can differ a little bit from their original levels, for example, by design. And like I and Clam said in our reviews for levels 11 and 13, there are some details, which are essential in the repeat levels but not in these original levels. :b I find the best original level/repeat level pairs that kind that they utilizes the same layout and same details, and only skillset and solution would be different.

3. Level difficulties - The part which everyone can always join when discussing about levels! Don't hesitate to bring out your view of the difficulties, especially if they differ a lot from their place inside the game. There are few Most out-of-place levels topics, and we know that, for example, L1 and ONML have levels which we think aren't suitable for their places inside the game. namida said quite appropriately this about his Lemmings Plus DOS Project level pack:
Of course, all ranks have levels that are harder than most of that rank, and ones that are easier than most. This is mostly intentional, to give easy breaks as well as sudden challenges.
I find DoveLems similar. The difficulty curve isn't steady in some parts. Is it good or bad? Feel free to give your opinions about all these three issues when reviewing levels. :)

Btw möbius, could you please check again the save requirement and the skillset for your review of Plain 12. :P

Plain 14 - Simple Life

Save: 10 (50%)
Release Rate: 1
Time: 3 minutes
Skills: 10 climbers, 10 floaters, 10 builders, 10 bashers

Good: There's a fitting, plain atmosphere in this level. A player gets practice in zigzag-building. The solution is easy enough, but there still are possibilities for beginners to go astray. The layout is pleasant and there's a nice, small amount of lemmings, whereas the original Lemmings games had sometimes unnecessarily lots and lots of lemmings in some of the levels.

Bad: Didn't find anything worth of mentioning. In general I find myself much better finding good points than bad points.

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
Hi there !
Akseli asked me to take part in this topic, so... here I am. :thumbsup:

Plain 15 - Ground Floor, Please

Lemmings : 50
Save : 25 (50%)
Release Rate : 30
Time : 3 minutes
Skills : 10 floaters, 1 blocker, 1 builder, 10 bashers, 10 diggers

Good : Nice not-too-easy-but-not-too-hard solution. Only 1 blocker, so we can't just trap the lemmings, dig/bash/build our way out and then free them. If the player only uses a digger (and not digger/basher/digger to create a little step in the pit), he'll learn the release rate tool may be vital sometimes, otherwise the last lemmings would splat (only 50% have to be saved though). And a nice touch with this snowy elevator !

Bad : Well, I think the layout looks a little poor, but it's me, I don't really like the Snow tileset.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 01:21:43 PM »
Well, well, who we have here. 8)

What can I say - you're very welcomed to the forums, Pieuw! :thumbsup: Definitely feel free to contribute in the all parts of the forums as much as you want! :)

Plain 16 - Disappearance ?

Lemmings: 50
Save: 25 (50%)
Release Rate: 80
Skills: 10 climbers, 30 diggers

Good: An interesting, unusual way to get through an obstacle, resembles a bit this classic Genesis level "I am A.T.". There are plenty of skills to pull out the solution, and it isn't so obvious as it may seem at first. Multitasking is needed, and not so experienced player could start to dig from the right, which will appear useless! Overall, the concept is pretty cool and the solution can even be fun to watch.

Okay: Assigning skills for lemmings close to each other might be tricky at first, so using pause button is recommended if you aren't confident with the execution. On the other hand, quick skill assignments can be fun.

Bad: Dirt levels look easily bare if there doesn't exist much other than ground, so there could be more decoration. Thin, vertical slivers can be annoying if lemmings dig carelessly.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 05:53:52 PM »
Plain 17 – The Heat of Action

Lemmings – 30
Save: 80%
RR: 20
Time: 2 minutes

skills: 30 climbers, 10 builders, 10 miners, 10 diggers

Good: layout and decoration is very neat and interesting. I personally really like levels which involve climbing and multitasking like these. (Basically; a level that deviates from the standard send 1 worker out ploy). There are numerous ways to solve it with leeway, but some work much better than others. I think the time limit does good to steer you toward some solutions more than others. I also like hell levels with words in them. :D

Bad: I think it’s a little too hard for its position. Possibly better suited for the next rating. I spent a while on it before realizing a much simpler solution which saves time and 100%!

-------------
...ntioned about the black background, so some might have already guessed that the screenshots have been taken from Lemmix. I just checked this out why the liquid seems a bit different, because I didn't know it at first, but yes, in Lemmix it looks a bit different (the level image) than in authentic gameplay in Lemmini (like the background colour issue, too). But I have no idea why.

this could be because in Lemmix all objects are automatically aligned to an invisible grid. I don’t think this happens in Lemmini at all. So Dodo could have saved the level in a pre-moved state, but if you’d open that level up again in Lemmix it will be moved on its own. Sometimes things even disappear completely.

I recognize Pikachu on Glad0s' shoulder there Pieuw  8)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 09:38:45 PM »
Plain 18 – Lemming's Brains

Number of Lemmings: 50
Save: 25 (50%)
Release Rate: 20

Skills: 10 blockers, 10 builders, 10 bashers, 10 bombers

Good: Good design with the bubble tileset. Just in the right difficulty area. Time limit is just right for this level too.
Bad: Don't really like the look of the entrance hiding behind the bubbles. Otherwise, it's a solid level. :)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 10:31:48 PM »
PLAIN 19 - Yours Diabolically

Number of Lemmings: 20
Amount to be Saved: 15 (75%)
Time: 2:00
Release Rate:1
Skills: 0/0/10/10/10/10/10/10

GOOD:
Nice looking level, with a solution with a fitting difficulty to it's position.
BAD The solution is kind of backroutey feeling.

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 11:16:50 PM »
Plain 20 - Wooden House

Lemmings : 20
Save : 10 (50%)
Release Rate : 50
Skills : 2 climbers, 10 bombers, 10 blockers, 3 builders, 2 miners

Good : Very nice design and cool solution.

Bad : I think this level is too difficult for its position. I mean, there are two new techniques to use here : to bomb a climber and to use a miner's slope to go up. Quite hard for a new player. But of course, I guess if one plays DoveLems, they've already played the original Lemmings game(s) before.

I recognize Pikachu on Glad0s' shoulder there Pieuw
Brand new test subject :evil:

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 02:09:02 AM »
Plain 21 – Flack and White

Lemmings : 50
Save : 40 80%
Release Rate : 1
Skills : 0 climbers, 10 everything else.

Good : nice design and good building/planning exercise. A level fitting for the first rating. The decoration on the sides is nice. (i looked there for a hidden exit, just for ** and giggles)

okay: I don’t get the title unless it’s just a fun play on words,. I don’t know what flack means and looking it up didn’t help. or I’m just totally missing something. (not unlikely)

Bad : Compared to some of the previous levels this one seems too easy, but not terribly so. (not so sure, I'm not sure if this is the first level where you need to build and mine through the steps...) I personally don’t care for the freezer blower above the ice the way it is.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 04:03:56 PM »
Plain 22: Trapped Exit

Number of Lemmings: 1

Skills: 30 builders

Good: A nice little building exercise. Good time limit and scenery, and fits in the right difficulty area.
Bad: A bit too shallow considering that there's only one lemming and that there are only builders to work with.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 08:37:58 AM »
Plain 23: Can You Bomb It?

Number of Lemmings: 100
Save: 97 (97%)
RR: 50
Time: 2
Skills: 10-10-3-10-10-10-0-0

Good: Neat maze structure that takes a little strategy to navigate, with only bombers available for digging down. The stacked tile decoration works surprisingly well, and doesn't look messy.
Bad: High lemming count is unnecessary and just means you have to change the RR to avoid timing out. Decorative terrain allows a backroute (which just occurred to me as I was writing this post :D)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 09:16:12 PM »
Trapped Exit looks cool. I don't remember seeing diangle hazards that you need to build over. I'll play these levels when I'm done with Mobius 3. I'm trapped in "Three's Company".
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 10:11:21 PM »
agree, I think Trapped Exit gets points for originality. even if it’s fairly easy. plus I like lone lemming levels.

Plain 24: Sapphire Mine

Save: 10 (50%)
RR: 10
time: 3 minutes

skills: 10 each

good: crystal’s my favorite set, so I automatically like this one. But the decoration is very well done. I like the placements of all of the little pieces. The title is nice. and This is a nice challenge for fun because it’s a little tougher than the ordinary fun level; despite it’s compact size. I like that the exit is slightly buried.

bad: nothing

Trapped Exit looks cool. I don't remember seeing diangle hazards that you need to build over. I'll play these levels when I'm done with Mobius 3. I'm trapped in "Three's Company".
:D there's hints if you need them. (although my hints may confuse you more :-\ )
--------
I also encourage you to play DoveLems Luis, they really are great!

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 02:05:53 PM »
Thanks for reviewing the previous level, as I would've struggled to come up with good points about that level. :P

Plain 25: Scrub

Lemmings: 30
Save: 25 (83%)
Time: 4 minutes
Release Rate: 1

Skills: 0 blockers, 10 everything else

Good: A great challenge, involving a variety of different tasks in various places. Nice Scenery.
Bad: I think its a bit too hard for Plain, as the skill set is quite tight, let alone the fact that there are no blockers.