Author Topic: Level Review – DoveLems  (Read 42196 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Level Review – DoveLems
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 04:23:23 AM »
Plain 26 – Stalactites or Shortcut!

Lemmings: 10
Save: 100%
RR: 30
Time: 2 minutes

skills: 9 climbers, 9 floaters, 2 builders, 2 bashers,

good: good design. I like the entrance up in the icicles. The solution is simple and fun.

bad: bashing under is kind of precise perhaps could’ve been a little wider to allow more leeway. (thinking about this again, I don't think it's that bad at all... it actually looks like he tried to make this not hard to do which is nice)

I can’t think of a lot to say for this one. It reminds me of a simple version of Race against the Cliches.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 02:03:21 AM »
Just FYI, folks, level images are now up in the resources folder! :P

I'm making myself useful for once - take advantage!

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 06:30:17 AM »
Thanks a bunch Adam :D

... but some of the pics are broken (eg. Plain 4) and most Plain ones are absent. Most of those are probably covered by repeats anyway, but note that in this set repeats don't always have identical terrain to the original.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 11:32:56 AM »
I contacted Adam about this and he asked me to send the pictures to his e-mail. I just checked it, I sent all the pictures, but I have no idea why some of them won't work. :o I had downloaded Gronkling's pictures from this post, and I only changed image names like "P1 - Plain01" etc. In geoo's webspace everything is working fine. ??? And yeah, like Clam said, every picture is important, because even the repeat levels may have differences in terrain. Still, thanks for uploading at least some of them to the resources! :)

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 04:24:10 PM »
I've re-uploaded all the images to the server, so hopefully, the issues with the images are fixed.

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 07:22:15 PM »
Well I might as well start with the new pictures (I have a feeling a few people want to review the next level)

PLAIN 27 - Lemmings on the Spot

Number of Lemmings: 30
Amount to be Saved: 25 (83%)
Time: 2:00
Release Rate:1
Skills: 10/10/10/0/10/10/10/10

GOOD:
Good not-as-simple-as-it-seems solution and simple, compact design.
BAD The solution can be a bit annoying to pull off and you can solve it the obvious way (Though it is hard).

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2013, 10:44:11 PM »
Question about that level -- on rtw's Let's Play, he first tries the simple build-up solution, but misplaces the last bridge, then gives up that solution anyway because he thinks there isn't time to pull it off. It looked to me as if there was just enough time....

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2013, 10:54:41 PM »
Question about that level -- on rtw's Let's Play, he first tries the simple build-up solution, but misplaces the last bridge, then gives up that solution anyway because he thinks there isn't time to pull it off. It looked to me as if there was just enough time....

I just solved it the obvious way, but it's a backroute and is very hard on timing. Changing the review to show that (I made a title error anyway)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2013, 12:33:17 AM »
do I need to change something in the original post to reflect the changes to the pictures?

(tho all the pics seem to be working now)

Plain 28 – Here’s the Final Flourish

Lemmings: 100
Rescue: 10%
Time limit: 1 minute

skills: 10 climbers, floaters, blockers and builders

good: I first saw MazuLem’s nuke level months ago around the time I joined the forum. It was certainly original at first but got stale quick since you can recognize it quickly enough… but Dodochocalo manages to put a spin on it here and make quite an interesting challenge in my opinion. And the design is good. (From now on, in Dodo’s set, unless I say anything about it just assume I think the design is for the level is really good)

bad: the solution might be a little annoying to get right but I didn’t find it that way. (not anything compared to other levels anyway)

everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2013, 01:11:53 AM »
I've edited the original thread to give the link to the resources folder.

I've also edited every post and changed the image url to the image in the resources folder. I noticed some of you used Imgur.. do we have some redditors on here?

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 08:11:00 AM »
Plain 29: Papuan Mask

Number of Lemmings: 30
Save: 24 (80%)
RR: 20
Time: 1
Skills: 10-10-10-0-2-0-0-1

Good: Fun themed design. Symmetrical appearance but asymmetric solution, which is something I quite like doing in my own levels :)
Bad: Wheee, hidden exit guessing game! Also feels uncomfortably similar to Down the Tube from ONML.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2013, 04:21:33 PM »
It reminds me of a simple version of Race against the Cliches.
Wow, how didn't I ever think that! :o You're right!

I just solved it the obvious way, but it's a backroute and is very hard on timing.
Yeah, even 100% saved is possible without multitasking in this time management level, but it's suitably tough. ;)

good: I first saw MazuLem’s nuke level months ago around the time I joined the forum. It was certainly original at first but got stale quick since you can recognize it quickly enough… but Dodochocalo manages to put a spin on it here and make quite an interesting challenge in my opinion.
I saw MazuLems' nuke level also at first, before I saw a nuke level in official Xmas Lemmings level! All these three nuke levels are different to some extent. :)

Plain 30 - Cisterns, Chains and Bricks

Lemmings: 40
Save: 40 (100%)
Release Rate: 1
Time: 4 minutes
Skills: 10 climbers, 10 floaters, 10 blockers, 2 builders, 7 bashers

Good: Another terrific labyrinth level, Dodochacalo is highly talented in creating labyrinth type Lemmings levels. Plain 23 - Can You Bomb It ? was the first maze level in this pack, and I can tell that there are more maze levels coming. Cisterns, Chains and Bricks is truly an unique level with great design and some cunning details to mislead the player. The "normal" solution uses other exit, but experienced players could find a solution for the other exit! ;) The first level in DoveLems to introduce death fall start.

Bad: Executing the solution is vulnerable to basher glitch. : (

Alright, a sum up of the Plain rating. :) My opinions:

Plain 28 - Here's the Final Flourish (Release rate 1 btw, it lacks from the review): The most difficult level in this rating, and maybe the most misplaced level in this whole pack. :P Fits easily better in Devilish or even in Maso rating.
Plain 20 - Wooden House: I agree, this is one of the hardest levels in Plain rating, and stands out as a difficulty spike.
The difference in between tutorial levels 1-7 and the level 8 (The Snowy Base) is also somewhat remarkable.
Two other levels which seemed a little hard for their places were 17 - The Heat of Action and 27 - Lemmings on the Spot, but they aren't too much misplaced, they are more of this sudden challenge type levels in my opinion. :) I actually agreed very much with other people's difficulty views!

My favourite levels in Plain rating are 30 - Cisterns, Chains and Bricks, 23 - Can You Bomb It ?, 5 - Swallow Me !, and 4 - For the Honour. Yeah, I found all the tutorial levels in this levelpack extraordinarily awesome. :XD: Even those endurance or lots-of-every-skill type levels, like 24 - Sapphire Mine and 25 - Scrub, were brilliantly designed, and there are only few levels of these types in this levelpack. This is going to be more and more fun and interesting with the upcoming ratings and levels! :)

Burned

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 02:53:46 AM »
I've recently gotten back to Lemmings due to DoveLems and Lemmings Plus. I'm surprised that nobody has started on the Coward levels yet. Here we go!

Coward 1: Caution, Work in Progress!

Lemmings: 50
Save: 50%
Release Rate: 40
Time: 3 minutes
Skills: 3 of each

Good: The level has 3 of each skill, which makes you really think when and where you should use them. You also end up using most of them as well. Great scenery, too.

Bad: The save rate is too low. It probably defeats the purpose of that gap beside the exit. Raising the number of saved lemmings would make the player make sure that lemmings do not fall under that gap.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 06:12:17 PM »
I've recently gotten back to Lemmings due to DoveLems and Lemmings Plus. I'm surprised that nobody has started on the Coward levels yet. Here we go!
:thumbsup:
I've been wanting for a long time to continue this topic, but I guess that the crash of the lemmingsforums resources affected people to some extent. Did you take that picture from geoo's webspace? I mailed Adam about 3 months ago about the resources, but he hasn't replied. Then I messaged also Mr. K but he either couldn't help. :(

I'd be more than willing to continue this topic. Have people already beated the first ratings and are ready to review more levels? :P

I love Coward 1. That level is endlessly great in its difficulty area.

Okay, hopefully geoo doesn't mind too much about using his webspace. :I

Coward 2 - Toes of the Earth

Lemmings: 30
Save: 28 (93%)
Release Rate: 1
Skills: 10 bombers, 10 blockers, 4 builders, 3 miners

Good: I love the theme of those toes with sweaty gaps and callus-like appendages. Mining wall after building into it works very pleasantly (there's no fear of turning around or breaking the bridge, for example), which is one of these details that points out how well Dodochacalo masters his thing - custom level designing for Lemmini.

Bad: This is one of the most straightforward levels solution-wise in the whole pack and thus might receive less attention because of all the shiny world class quality around it. That said, I like this level a lot.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2014, 07:22:12 PM »
Coward 3 -  Impolite Climbers

Lemmings: 10
Save: 9 (90%)
Release rate: 50
Skills: 2 climbers, 1 bomber, 9 builders, 1 basher, 1 digger

This is the first repeat level of DoveLems. The original level of Impolite Climbers is Simple Life.

Good: Steps up the difficulty and the interest from Simple Life in a convenient way. The solution has few tricky details, notably how to prevent a climber from escaping the play area. With a little effort this level can be solved saving one builder in the normal way.

Bad: This level has actually a backroute if you place your skills accurately enough, though it probably won't come in anybody's mind in the first place.