Author Topic: Don't turn around!  (Read 14860 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Don't turn around!
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 11:10:36 AM »
I haven't had any luck on Tricky 10, but I suspect it may be possible with an insane amount of multitasking/delaying.  Unfortunately, the release rate, having two entrances, and the amount of building required really work against you.

Here's Tricky 10, borrowing (and slightly refining) from the blocker technique I previously used in Fun 16.  There's actually a good chance the solution can be improved to 100%, as I ended up delaying the crowd far more than necessary, and therefore could've end up with more spare skills at the end.

This type of challenge in general can definitely be very unfriendly to non-Lemmix users--since there are plenty of lemmings you can't just leave milling around, you end up micromanaging far more lemmings than usual.

edit: also confirmed Tricky 18, rather lemmingentry I might add. ;P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 01:35:41 PM »
Taxing 10 (100% as required)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 04:06:32 PM »

edit: also confirmed Tricky 18, rather lemmingentry I might add. ;P

I thought if was interesting, having the use the builders, which I assume were originally put there just to throw you off (for the normal solution). And yet sometimes, like with some of the early levels in tricky, you have 40 of some skills; maybe the creators put little things like that in mind of people making up their own challenges.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 02:24:09 AM »
I took an initial look through Mayhem, and I have confirmed Mayhem 10, Mayhem 13 (100%), Mayhem 15, and Mayhem 28 (100%).

Mayhem 15 turns out to be considerably easier than Tricky 10 despite having only half the skills because of the lower save requirement.

And a quick note about Mayhem 28: I didn't actually solve it because of the dreaded ceiling basher glitch in DOS, but I have confirmed it up to the point that you start the bash, and after that it's easy.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 07:48:57 AM »
That Aswad tune's in my head every time I play this challenge. :XD:

Anyway, I had a go at ONML and have confirmed that all the Tame levels are possible, but not sure which levels I did 100% on; :P So I'll have another go at those sometime today.

For Crazy I solved 3, 5, 11, 12, 16, 19 and 20. I needed to use every builder on 5 to make sure all the lemmings go across the gaps. On 12 I used three bombers to blast through the first obstacle, and just some building and bashing to get through the rest. 16 gave me the challenge of slowing other lemmings down by bashers and diggers, but that wasn't too hard because of the 1 release rate. For 20 I only had to focus on the right group of lemmings, but I'm sure a good multitasker would be able to get both groups home for 100%.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 08:53:37 AM »
More Mayhem results:

12: My favourite direct route comes up good again :D. The attached replay shows the start of the solution (once again, the required glitch isn't replayed correctly in Lemmix) - all you need to do from there is use the cursor-digging glitch to get as far through the steel as possible, which gets you just far enough to bash through to the exit, and then bash in time to stop the remaining builders.

26: This works with a slight modification of my bombers-only solution, which conveniently disposes of any lemmings that turn around :)

30: Confirmed, although my playthrough (which I'm not about to redo :XD:) contains a couple of minor 'oopsies':
- 2nd lemming from the left turns back, and then turns again in that little dip (which I forgot about). This lemming ends up falling off the bottom without consequence, so you can instead make him build on the 45 degree slope (to avoid affecting timing for the following lemmings) on the way back to the dip, and then bomb.
- 4th lemming from the right turns at the wall before bombing. Just set this bomber (and the next one too) one frame earlier to get the desired result.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Taxing 12, saving 8/10.

edit: and Taxing 17 saving 74/80.  A pretty straightforward left-exit solution of diverting first lemming for trailblazing while delaying the rest with builders etc.  Strongly suggests that Fun 23 100% should be achievable, maybe I'll try another time.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 11:56:02 AM »
That Aswad tune's in my head every time I play this challenge. :XD:
Don't know that one. I always think of the Ace of Base song :P

Anyway, I had a go at ONML and have confirmed that all the Tame levels are possible, but not sure which levels I did 100% on; :P So I'll have another go at those sometime today.
Got 100% on all except 13. That one seems possible, by building to approach the exit from the right; unfortunately my attempt resulted in a "bridge wall" that I then had to bash and rebuild, resulting in one casualty. I'm sure this is avoidable, so I've put it down as 100%.

I've put down three more obvious ONML ones: Wild 6, Havoc 3 and Havoc 10. I don't know ONML nearly as well as I know Lemmings, so there may be more obvious ones I've missed.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 01:29:21 PM »
I don't know ONML nearly as well as I know Lemmings, so there may be more obvious ones I've missed.

Indeed there are. It really is years since I played this game  :'( A look through the Lemmings Encyclopedia and brief testing confirms that Wild 8, Wicked 5, Wicked 8, Havoc 4 are possible -- the normal solutions or very slight modifications meet the criteria. Also confirmed Tame 13 100%  ;P

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 02:03:11 PM »
Havoc 9 is in the bag, with a little jiggery-pokery:

Set the RR to a middling value (I chose 41) after the fourth lemming is out, then back immediately. The second climber should mine immediately as he lands after falling from the white columns, and exactly one will turn, who will just have time to mine left before the other climbers reach him, and yes, the builder still easily has time to finish before the first climber arrives.

Havoc 12 is another one that's just the standard solution.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 11:02:16 PM »
For Crazy I solved 3, 5, 11, 12, 16, 19 and 20. [...] For 20 I only had to focus on the right group of lemmings, but I'm sure a good multitasker would be able to get both groups home for 100%.

Confirmed 100% for Crazy 20, nothing too difficult really.

Also add to the list for Crazy: 9 (100% as required), 13, 15 (100%, easily done by the steel-digging glitch route), 18.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 01:16:07 AM »
Here's what I've got for Wild so far:

1-3, 9 (100%, nuke glitch), 10, 15, 17 (100%), 18, 20 (100%)

Wild 19 is going to be touch and go.  It could conceivably work with the 1 RR and 30 builders, but a lot of building has to be done, and that takes time.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 09:52:56 AM »
Hard to say anything for sure about the Mac version due to the hi-res graphics, but it is at least plausible.

Unfortunately I won't be able to test as the "special" levels don't work on my Lemmings -- the background colour acts as solid terrain!
It's never done that for me...

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, 01:53:21 AM »
Crazy 1 improved to 100% 8)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 04:05:56 AM »
Here are a few more results for Wicked:

1, 3 (100%), 4, 6, 7, 14 (100%), 16, 17

16 is a bit tricky because it requires counterintuitive builder placement, and 3 uses steel glitches.

This list is by no means complete.  I'm pretty sure a couple more are possible, but for now I'll let someone else have a chance to do them.