Author Topic: Name the levels  (Read 11104 times)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
Name the levels
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:15:53 PM »
You may have seen the website Sporcle before – basically you have a list of items that you have to guess. Lemmings, naturally, fits this mould quite well, but the only existing game about Lemmings was the SNES version, which has extra levels, so I made one based on the original Amiga/DOS version.

Try it!
http://www.sporcle.com/games/finlay/lemmings

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Name the levels
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:49:41 PM »
49/120 :-\

There were one or two where I was stumped by spelling, eg. "rendezvous" (I kept thinking it was "rendezvez") and "bomboozal" (kept spelling it with "le" at the end instead).

Also, maybe someone should check how many letters total would it be typing out all 120 levels' names?  It would give a better idea what kind of typing speed is required (given the quiz's current time limit) just to type all level names out when you have the entire list in front of you!

Can't wait for the ONML quiz. ;) (Though I suspect I'd do even worse on it...)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 02:17:15 AM »
Also, maybe someone should check how many letters total would it be typing out all 120 levels' names?  It would give a better idea what kind of typing speed is required (given the quiz's current time limit) just to type all level names out when you have the entire list in front of you!

I got bored and decided to calculate the above, with the help of Excel and Word.  Copy-and-paste a complete list of level names (eg. try Googling "lemmings-walkthrough.txt"), use Excel to extract out just the column of level names, and then use Word's search/replace to remove all non-alphanumeric characters (because the quiz doesn't care about punctuation and spaces, eg. you can just type "justdig" instead of "Just Dig!").  Also remove duplicate instances of "We all Fall Down" (since the quiz will automatically populate all 4 instances of the level when you type it out just once).  Finally use Word's "word count" feature.

This comes out to 2005 characters, or 401 "words" (in the technical, typing-speed sense of 5 characters per word).  With 7 minutes, this comes out to a required minimum speed of about 57.3 words per minute (wpm).  Wikipedia says "an average professional typist reaches 50 to 70 wpm".

So typing out the whole list of levels within the quiz's time limit is definintely humanly doable, though that alone may be a slight challenge already if you are slow at typing.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 03:28:53 AM »
68/120 -- I know the vast majority of the levels, but I'm somewhat inhibited by slow typing.

Edit: after a few more tries, I'm up to 81.  I doubt with my typing speed I'll get much higher than 85-90.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 08:37:58 AM »
73/120. It really is more of the case of how fast you can type (Or, if you want to put it this way, How well you can remember those levels with a small name :XD:). 7 minutes isn't enough time to write them all out, but it is enough time to solve each level.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 11:07:33 AM »
I think after enough people have taken the quiz, it would be interesting to see which levels the least people got (although I guess the results are probably diluted already by people retaking the quiz multiple times).  I found myself getting more of the Taxing and Mayhem ones for example.  I couldn't even recall all the "tutorial" Fun levels since it's easy to mix up/forget the exact wording on some of those. :XD:  Tricky was especially tricky for me in this regard, as a lot of the levels (especially the first half) are not that memorable for me to begin with, plus many are also repeats of harder versions in Taxing and Mayhem and I tend to remember them by their harder-version names.

An interesting variant for this kind of quiz would be one where instead of racing against a fixed time limit, you can take all the time you need (or at least something long like maybe 30 minutes), and see how long it takes for you to get all the level names (or give up).  I know I still won't get all 120 even with infinite time, but hopefully I would have a chance of getting maybe 90+?

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 11:50:39 AM »
I got 24/120 :XD: 10 in Mayhem, 5 in Taxing, 3 in Tricky, and 6 in Fun.
Didn't even think of "We all fall down" or the special levels. My problems were obviously not typing speed, but coming up with names to levels I knew how they looked like, and later on also coming up with the levels themselves.

You can view the stats of how often a level was successfully named on the stats page: http://www.sporcle.com/games/finlay/lemmings/results

I thought for ONML the biggest challenge would be how to write "AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!", but it's actually easy to remember if you had a proper look at it.

EDIT: Got 32/100 for ONML...guess I'm more familiar with them.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 11:22:55 PM »
So far there are 13 takers of the quiz.  The results do show a good number of the early Tricky levels as least % of people getting it, although there were also a good number of Taxing and Mayhem in that column also, so I guess different people remember level names differently (no suprise there).

Having to pull up the names/levels entirely from one's unaided mind does indeed get a little challenging.  I think if the quiz were instead the kind where you are given pictures of each level (in random order) and have to name them (including repeats), everyone would do much better.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 09:31:51 PM »
I got 70 right just now.... you're right, the time limit is too low (I just changed it to 11 minutes now, see if that makes a difference!). And since you seem to be enjoying it, I'll get onto the ONML version!  ;P

BTW, the game software ignores some punctuation and capitalisation (and also ignores initial "The" if you miss it out, helpfully), which would make that ONML level easier to type :P

Here is onml:
http://www.sporcle.com/games/finlay/ohnomorelemmings

(I got 65, by the way... try and beat me! :D)

Ninja edit: Got 120/120 for original Lemmings having altered the time limit. :P Can anyone else manage it?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 10:54:02 PM »
Good job! :thumbsup:

For original Lemmings, I think if I just try enough times, I should eventually get up to 120/120, right now I think it's 80 something for me with the new time limit.

As for ONML, predictably I have quite some ways to go--32/100. :-[ I quickly realized for example that not only do I hardly remember any of the Tame level names, but I think I'd struggle even to come up with a mental picture for most of them!  Not faring much better on the other ratings either.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 05:28:31 AM »
Sonetimes if i type in the level name correctly it don't work
Btw got one for S3k

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 06:38:53 AM »
I got 120/120 on original with the new time limit (although I cheated a bit to get the correct spelling of "rendezvous"). :P

As for ONML, I've got 81/100!  8)

Tame: 10/20
Crazy: 20/20
Wild: 18/20
Wicked: 17/20
Havoc: 16/20

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 03:30:27 PM »
Good job! :thumbsup:

For original Lemmings, I think if I just try enough times, I should eventually get up to 120/120, right now I think it's 80 something for me with the new time limit.

As for ONML, predictably I have quite some ways to go--32/100. :-[ I quickly realized for example that not only do I hardly remember any of the Tame level names, but I think I'd struggle even to come up with a mental picture for most of them!  Not faring much better on the other ratings either.
Most of us are probably the same with Tame. I can remember only the ones that stood out to me. When I did it yesterday I could remember almost all of Crazy bar one level or something, most of Wicked, more of Havoc than Wicked, but there was a huge gap in Wild even though I did actually play through the Wild levels the other day.

With original Lemmings the annoying thing is the repeated levels, because I'm not very consistent at remembering the easy name or the difficult name. I've played Fun so often throughout my life that I'm basically at the point where I can recite it off - certainly up to about level 20. And I found Tricky quite easy, but the last level that I guessed when getting 120/120 was "Lemming sanctuary in sight", which is the easy version of "King of the castle" (Taxing 24 IIRC). I also took a while to remember "Poles Apart", which I remember better by the Fun title "We are now at LEMCON ONE". But essentially, it's a game I've played hundreds of times in the 16 years that I've owned it, so I really do know all the levels. I guess the only one that would have thrown me if I was coming to this new would be "All the 6's", which isn't on the Mac version: instead there's "Going their separate ways", which is a nifty climber/floater puzzle rather than the tiresome builder/basher thing that "All the 6's" has. It's the only level they actually changed...

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 04:06:38 PM »
I got 27 on the Original Lemmings on.

I only got 16 on the ONML one.

I forget everything.  :P

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 09:23:41 AM »
I got 70 right just now.... you're right, the time limit is too low (I just changed it to 11 minutes now, see if that makes a difference!). And since you seem to be enjoying it, I'll get onto the ONML version!  ;P

BTW, the game software ignores some punctuation and capitalisation (and also ignores initial "The" if you miss it out, helpfully), which would make that ONML level easier to type :P

Here is onml:
http://www.sporcle.com/games/finlay/ohnomorelemmings

(I got 65, by the way... try and beat me! :D)

Ninja edit: Got 120/120 for original Lemmings having altered the time limit. :P Can anyone else manage it?

lol if anyone actually gets Havoc 9 ever

I'll give these a whirl soon -- mentally going through Havoc I can remember all titles but that exact spelling of 9

EDIT: 62 on ONML. 17/20 Havoc (though I can't see why I didn't get 5, I typed it perfectly a couple times for sure) -- missed 9 and 12. 15/20 Wicked, 11/20 Wild (same gripe with wild 13, thought I typed it to the character), 13/20 Crazy, 6/20 Tame lol tame
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano