Author Topic: Clones Release  (Read 14288 times)

Offline okmot

• View Profile
Re: Clones Release
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2011, 01:05:10 AM »
^ More or less what he said. Except instead of saving, it's getting completely back on my feet after about 4 months of not having a proper job.

If your job is proper now then it's a great time to grab a stylish boxed copy  :P  I'm thinking of getting a few dozen and building a summer fort to live in.

If you're still not convinced read this review, it seems like it was written by a Lemmings fan.  I just wish we could find a way to get more people playing multiplayer more often.  Any ideas?  More coordinated "multiplayer jam" events?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2011, 04:03:03 AM »
Yeah, multiplayer is definitely a very tricky chicken and egg problem.  Do you have any data on whether the situation is better with Steam users vs non-Steam (ie. are more percentages of Steam users active in MP vs. non-Steam)?  If so it may be an indication of the issue of coordinating matches, maybe.

Perhaps the $ you've earned so far on Clones may allow you to, at least for a short while, hire a pool of people whose FT/PT job is to host public MP sessions and invite others to join?  They don't even have to be good MP players, if anything that might be a hindrance. :P  The theory is that maybe once you get enough of a nucleus of people hooked on MP, then at some point hopefully it becomes self-sustaining and you no longer need to continue hiring the artificial pool of people to maintain an active MP community of players.

Another way to go is to see if we can work out some other way to incentivitize people into doing MP besides just the sheer fun of it.  No ideas from me so far, but if I think of anything I'll post here.

[edit: in the meanwhile, I guess more jams won't hurt and is certainly cheaper :P.  Are you able to see from historical data whether the jams have the desired effects (in terms of getting more players more active in MP) and for how long the effects last?]

Offline okmot

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 08:28:25 PM »
Do you have any data on whether the situation is better with Steam users vs non-Steam (ie. are more percentages of Steam users active in MP vs. non-Steam)?
[edit: in the meanwhile, I guess more jams won't hurt and is certainly cheaper :P.  Are you able to see from historical data whether the jams have the desired effects (in terms of getting more players more active in MP) and for how long the effects last?]

Even among Lemmings fans it seems that competitive multiplayer is an acquired taste.  One must be first skilled enough with the actions/morphs through singleplayer training before moving on to real time combat, but also enjoy that type of play. Jams certainly have the effect of bringing new players in and helping existing ones to be more active.  We almost have an "event" system ready for the site to help players view, create, and join Jam events.
You are right that we'd need to hit some critical threshold of online players before it can become self sustaining, this is largely tied to number of units sold so our best bang for buck would be advertising... oh, did i mention that Clones is on sale on Steam right now for 50% off? ;)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/72400

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2011, 09:56:04 PM »
I still need to get this... but I think I'll wait until multiplayer picks up a bit, if it's not doing so well right now...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline okmot

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 06:42:53 PM »
Just posted some HD videos of intense matches between the Lord of Lix and the Creator of Clones:

Clones - Hausdorff Rematch - Simon wins

Clones - Hausdorff - rt wins

Offline okmot

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 11:07:20 PM »
We are going to be part of a local city LAN tournament in November, and we may be able to convince them to accept remote entries for those that are interested in competitive play.  I'll post again when i have more info.

A new Clones puzzle pack is available, with some new concepts.  Check it out!

Offline okmot

• View Profile
Clones Giveaway
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 05:36:20 PM »
We are giving away free copies of Clones for the upcoming LAN tournament and although online competitors are not likely to be permitted i thought some of you might appreciate the free lunch :)  To redeem simply enter the coupon "BASELAN22" and click "Apply To Order" when you go through the Clones Store checkout.  If you do take advantage of this then consider uploading a level pack as a way to say thanks.

If the above link does not work for you then just go to http://www.ClonesGame.com and click the "Buy Now" link next to the Clones Store option in the list of distributors.

Offline okmot

• View Profile
Clones Giveaway
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2011, 05:46:14 PM »
Reminder that the 100% discount key described above will be expiring after this weekend.

Offline okmot

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2012, 04:40:35 PM »
I still need to get this... but I think I'll wait until multiplayer picks up a bit, if it's not doing so well right now...

The multiplayer has increased recently, especially in the mornings here (10am CST, early evening over the pond).  We released a patch with multiplayer server notification and in-game package downloading.  The latest level pack by Haymanizer is quite good, i enjoyed it and i suspect other puzzle lovers would too (looking at CCX) :)

Offline okmot

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2012, 06:08:40 PM »
Clones is on Sale for 75% off on Steam this weekend: http://store.steampowered.com/app/72400/

Do the right thing and buy 4 copies ;)

Offline okmot

• View Profile
1,000 copies giveaway
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2012, 11:28:38 PM »
We are giving away 1,000 copies of Clones (on Steam) - enter to win one here http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/eUW3z/clones

The giveaway lasts until this Saturday the 8th.

In addition, we are having a multiplayer jam this weekend so look for a server or host one at noon CST on Saturday if you are interested  :thumbsup:   You'd don't even need the full version, the free demo will work! (for limited maps)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2012, 09:12:12 PM »
how do you know if you won?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain