Author Topic: Sockpuppetry in forums?  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Sockpuppetry in forums?
« on: November 21, 2009, 08:24:10 AM »
I know about sockpuppetry in Wikipedia: The use of multiple accounts in an IP address, but does it relate to forums as well?

I will be grateful if you reply to this: If you want to know why send me a PM sooner rather than later. :)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
Re: Sockpuppetry in forums?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 02:57:10 PM »
Sockpuppets don't necessarily have to use the same IP address as the sockpuppeteer. If you, for example, go to an internet cafe and sockpuppet from there, the IP address will be different than when you control the master account at home. Also, if two or more people use the same computer and have seperate accounts, they are not sockpuppets, even though their IP addresses will be the same.

A sockpuppet is a second account controlled by a person already registered on the website. The most common reason for doing this is to get around a ban, though there are other reasons for having a sockpuppet.

To answer your question, yes, there can be sockpuppets in forums as well. Just like in Wikipedia, it is generally frowned upon.
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Online GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 09:11:47 PM »
It's kinda like this
sock1:hi there
sock2:hello blah
sock1:how are you doing
sock2:good blah

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 02:06:49 AM »
Giga?  That sounds more like a literal sock puppet.  We're talking about sock puppets on the Internet.  Sorry if I'm misinterpreting your post in advance!  (-:

I once had someone register twice on my website because they forgot they already had.  When I told them they had registered twice, the person's basically like, "Oh."  It was under a different username the second time, so the forum software wouldn't have said anything about usernames.