Author Topic: The custom level challenge thread  (Read 9553 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: The custom level challenge thread
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 09:32:29 AM »
Hahaha I know the feeling.  :P

Can your intended route work with 10 builders? The replay obviously won't and the miner is going to be extremely difficult if not impossible. I think it is, since at the minimum I needed 2 on the right hole, 5 in teh middle, 3 on the left, and one to stop the miner from breaching the floor.

My intended solution actually requires all 20 builders. Thanks to your playtesting, I should be able to eliminate all the back routes, and have an air-tight puzzle ready for my 6th pack :).

Making a level that requires 20 builders and is genuinely puzzling without much tediousness is a pretty impressive feat in itself.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 05:43:41 PM »
More than 48 hours have passed since Insane Steve posted the solution to Yawg's challege, so it's open floor now. As my first challenge, I guess it won't be too difficult to figure out ;)

RULES: Just finish it with the required savings, you can use either DOS or Custlemm mechanics.

EDIT: Oops, I'm a bit confused with the forum clock ??? Seems like 48 hours haven't passed yet, have they?
Like prog metal? Listen at Izkemia on MySpace or Facebook.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 08:50:40 PM »
I can't think of anything, so I'll use your level for the challenge.

edit: ok got it
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 09:10:13 PM »
hahaha, nice! Be prepared, because my next challenge won't be this easy (I hope :P).

Anyway, it's Insane Steve's turn to post a challenge again ;)

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2009, 03:54:53 PM »
Guess it's open floor... again :(

Here's a new challenge. Just finish this level with the required savings and using the mechanics you prefer. Glitches are not allowed!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2009, 06:30:20 AM »
Can I make a suggestion for future challenges:
There should be a rule that you cannot post a challenge for your own level; it must be someone else's. This should make it a bit more interesting.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 04:15:41 PM »
Wow, that level is actually brilliant. It's like you have hundreds of possible routes, a lot of skills, and even though I tried circumventing the key move I just wasn't able to go without it. Finding the key move is not that hard, but turning it into a working solution is still a tricky task, and then the solution uses pretty much every useful skill and almost everything of the level as well as comes down to the last fraction of a second.

I use this opportunity to present one of my old levels again - I think no-one has found the intended solution yet, as it was so easily backroutable.
That challenge is to get every lemming into a different exit - if you find a solution without that though, tell me as well.
One note: at the left, there are two one-pixel gaps. They both can be crossed by a lemming using a miner (only every second pixel works though).

Can I make a suggestion for future challenges:
There should be a rule that you cannot post a challenge for your own level; it must be someone else's. This should make it a bit more interesting.
Well, not exactly more interesting, as new levels are usually more interesting than old ones with a challenge applied to them, but I actually see the point of your suggestion. On the other hand, it's a good platform to present new levels and have additional conditions applied to the solution, as well as refine old ones.
A challenge game concept, as you suggest, could also be done with the original/ONML level, as right now there's just a challenge topic providing a list of challenges.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 05:58:51 PM »
Believe it or not, but you actually backrouted it :P Anyway, you confirmed that the key trick is unavoidable, and your solution is as tricky as the intended by me, so I declare myself satisfied ;) PS: WOW! 1 second left! :o

Here I attached the intended solution, just in case you wanted to know it.

As for your level, I'll see if I can work out the solution :P

@namida: I'd wish to keep this open. My initial idea was to post challenges using brand-new levels, but if you want to post old custom levels challenges you're welcome :D

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2009, 12:03:34 AM »
I know I have to look at this when it even impresses geoo, and indeed it was quite a brilliant level.  More surprising is that when I finally solved it, it turns out I have a rather different solution to both you and geoo.  However, the way it used the blocker is the same, so if that's the "key trick" then nothing has changed in that regard.  Also, my solution barely works as there's a particular move that requires some pixel precision, so it's pretty easy to eliminate I think if desired.  It uses up the same skills as geoo's solution and your solution.

I kinda now wish I haven't looked at the other solutions so I could be further challenged to re-solve it closer to the intended ways. :( Oh well.