Author Topic: Lemmings 2 glitches  (Read 40847 times)

Offline Lemmy556

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings 2 glitches
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »
Found new one from Amiga version.

1.Take Skier skill and Medieval practice level
2.Catapult kills skiing Lemmings

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2011, 10:12:22 PM »
Don't think this one has been mentioned yet:

When you make a lemming an exploder, and shortly before blowing up give him a archer/roper so he starts aiming, but explodes before shooting the arrow/rope, you won't be able to assign archers/ropers to any other lemming until you restart.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2011, 03:03:11 AM »
Here's a nice one from SNES version
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2012, 03:47:20 PM »
Back to DOS Lemmings 2, here's a surprise I found while playing around with the surfer on Highland 6.  Basically if you assign the surfer immediately when the lemming starts to drown, and then immediately try to blow him back against the wall he fell into the water from, you can get him to do this crazy super-leap off the water. :o  Indeed, it almost looks more like the lemming got catapulted or something.

Video attached.  The ZIP file has the AVI movie captured from DOSBox, but I have had trouble playing such clips in Windows 7's Windows Media Player (other media player seems to work fine, and I never had this problem on older versions of Windows either).  So for convenience I have also attached a WMV file that's a low-quality conversion (to make the file size as small as I can), that does work on Windows Media Player.

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »
Hmm, the water's side walls are higher than the usual egdes on which water actions usually exit. The surfer shouldn't do anything here. Will test with different edge heights.

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2012, 02:18:52 PM »
I did some more testing and made a few more movies.  Here are the key points:

• height of wall doesn't seem to matter.  For example, attached clips are from Medieval 4 where the water level is even with the side wall's height.
  • It is very important to assign the surfer at the exact frame the lemming hits water and starts to drown.  If you're late on that by one or two frames, you'll likely end up with normal behavior instead.
  • I usually pause immediately after assigning the surfer, so I can get the fan going as soon as possible.  Not sure if that's important or not.
  • The position of the cursor (ie. where you place the fan basically) apparently matters.  It appears that the fan is providing a force vector against the lemming, in what looks like the exact direction as going from fan to lemming.  The resulting "crazy jump" behavior appears to be the lemming reacting to this sudden force, and being against the wall/floor the lemming is immediately bounced off and moves in the reflected direction.  So for example, placing the cursor/fan below and to the right of the lemming, at about 45 degrees like I did in my previous post's clips, and lemming flies up and to the right at roughly 45 degrees.  Whereas in one of the clips here ("...-different-angle..."), notice how placing the cursor/fan almost horizontal to the lemming's position, and the lemming flies near-horizontally to the right instead.

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2012, 05:23:05 AM »
The glitch glider: Assign a hang glider and blow him into a vertical wall. When hitting the terrain, the lemming will resume to be a walker for one frame, facing the wall. You can assign skills to him that do not require ground underneath during performance, e.g. roper or flamethrower. A twister will immediately fall.

If you don't assign anything to him, he will walk into the wall, turn, and be a faller. I don't think there is a walker frame with the lemming facing away from the wall, so builder/platformer can't be assigned usefully.

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2013, 10:36:49 AM »
Having a runner jump with a low ceiling overhead can apparently make its trajectory go crazy. :o At least that's what happened on Space 10.  See attached zipped DOSBox video and see if you can figure out what the heck happened.  Kinda reminds me of the surfer glitch mentioned above, but with an even more mundane setup.

Also, very bumpy terrain can apparently make the magno booter go crazy, eventually even making the lemming stop magno booting on its own.  Polar 8's left-entrance area is perfect to test that.  See attached zipped DOSBox videos.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2013, 07:18:11 AM »
Seems like every time I do a challenge in Lemmings 2 I run into a new glitch, though to be fair this one is pretty mundane in comparison to other ones reported on this thread.

Roller exiting on Beach 9, notice how he started entering the exit way left of where the exit trigger normally is.  The zipped DOSBox video includes a normal walker lemming exiting to clearly show the difference.

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2016, 02:37:17 PM »
Walking in the water lemming.
Assign Swimmer skill, then Magno boots and let him enter the water (Medieval practice level is easiest to try this). He will keep 'Magno boots walking' in the water and not drowning. Then make him Twister and knock him down with the fan. Lemming will walking in the bottom of the pool, beneath the water surface.
This glitch doesn't work with SNES version.

This one is not a glitch, but a feature. Normally, Twister leans to the left, but on the Mega Drive/Genesis Twister made from left walking lemming leans to the left and Twister made from the right walking lemming leans to the right. Picture is here (left and right Twisters), but Twisters looks little strange on the still picture

On the SNES can not be two or more Twisters at the same time, only one.

Also, Mega Drive/Genesis sprite for the "tallest" walking lemming has trimmed hair. This is just in the Lemmings 2. Original Lemmings game for the Mega Drive has 'normal' sprite with the hair.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:05:15 PM by Leo »

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2016, 10:57:35 PM »
That is strange the walking in the water glitch. ???

Maybe the lemming with the trimmed hair has his hair hidden under the hair so to say.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2016, 06:05:07 AM »
The triggered area for water is usually about 4 pixels higher than the water itself, as I've found out in the original Lemmings games. So we'd expect lemmings to walk when there's no trigger area directly below them.

It's no surprise that DOS had not bothered to fix the walk on water glitch by extending the area downwards. However, it's unusual that assigning a Twister on water doesn't turn him back to a swimmer, and that Twisters are effectively immune to trigger areas.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2016, 12:51:17 PM »
Not just Twister, they can do lots of things under the water. Roller, Archer, Attractor, Flame Thrower, Runner, Skier... etc.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2016, 11:21:06 PM »
Walking on bottom of water is actually a classic consequence of how Lemmings (including Lemmings 1) handle collision detection in general.  Namely, it is really checking for the lemming standing on top of some trigger area, rather than checking any part of the lemming overlapping with the object.  So for water it usually means the very bottom of it is walkable, unless the game designer made the trigger area extends lower than the visible bottom of the water object.

The hard part of course is getting the lemming to the bottom of water without going through the lethal non-bottom parts.  In Lemmings 1 you can for example try to get stuck at terrain below the water, then use known techniques to move the lemming up until it reaches the water bottom.  Similarly in Lemmings 2 you can potentially try crawling from below.  So the more interesting part to me is that the magno booter is apparently unaffected by water, so the lemming can actually go through the normally lethal parts of water to reach the non-lethal bottom.

Incidentally, the "4 pixel higher" thing Minim pointed out is I think DOS-Lemmings1-specific.  However I believe even on Amiga where the visible bottom of water aligns with the trigger area's bottom, as explained above you'll still get a harmless bottom.  Though I have yet to test that on Amiga yet.

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2016, 09:18:26 AM »
Magno Booter is unaffected by water only if he is already a Swimmer.

And one more thing not exactly a glitch, but it's interesting. On the practice levels, PC, Mega Drive and SNES, have only 20 use of each chosen skill available, but on the Amiga, Atari ST, Archimedes and FM Towns 99 are available. GB, GG and SMS don't have practice levels.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:27:24 AM by Leo »