Author Topic: Graphics set swap issues.  (Read 3496 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Graphics set swap issues.
« on: August 14, 2009, 09:25:15 AM »
I am trying to swap a graphics set from Snow to Christmas for one of my saved levels using Lemmix Level Editor. I don't have lemedit. Lemmini doesn't accept Christmas levels. The problem is as soon as I change the configuration settings the sign comes up as: "Can't find Graphics set 7". I can't figure it out. :'( Although it does seem to work when I do it the other way round.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Graphics set swap issues.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 10:02:27 AM »
Try using Custom rather than OhNo or Christmas?

If you still can't do it, PM me the level file and I'll change it for you.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 11:11:58 AM »
I've got the Custom Lemmings graphics already, it's just that I don't have LemEdit. Does that mean that you've got LemEdit?
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 02:07:52 PM »
Yes, I much prefer it over Lemmix. However, LemEdit isn't even nessecary, it's a quick one-byte change in a hex editor.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 07:38:12 PM »
I'm interested. How does your method work?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 08:26:38 PM »
Yes, I much prefer it over Lemmix. However, LemEdit isn't even nessecary, it's a quick one-byte change in a hex editor.

Sorry for straying a little off-topic, but I'm curious which features of LemEdit or which shortcomings of Lemmix makes you prefer LemEdit over Lemmix.

Lemmix is by no means perfect, but not needing DOSBox to run it (where LemEdit tends to run rather slowly even when you crank up the emulation speed), and the ability to select multiple elements and manipulate them at the same time, those are features that I think are significant advantages over LemEdit.  The worst aspect of Lemmix I would say is the set up, with having to edit LemmixStyles.ini with close to 0 documentation on how to do so.  But at least you only need to do it once.

Not trying to "convert" you one way or another.  Just seeing which areas of Lemmix could use some improvement on, that's all.  So that EricLang could potentially improve on those areas in the future.  (Which is another advantage, until someone manages to track down the author of LemEdit.)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 08:30:53 PM »
I did try changing the graphic set using the file "LemmixStyles.ini" but it works one way, but not the other way (The "other way" I'm talking about is the change from Snow to Christmas)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 02:10:01 AM »
The reason I like LemEdit better is because it doesn't have to run in WINE all the time!

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 02:33:07 AM »
I am trying to swap a graphics set from Snow to Christmas for one of my saved levels using Lemmix Level Editor. I don't have lemedit. Lemmini doesn't accept Christmas levels. The problem is as soon as I change the configuration settings the sign comes up as: "Can't find Graphics set 7". I can't figure it out. :'( Although it does seem to work when I do it the other way round.

Open up a second Lemmix window and open a new level in the Christmas tileset. Then you can copy and paste terrain from one window to the other. (You can do this with completely different tilesets too :P)

I did try changing the graphic set using the file "LemmixStyles.ini" but it works one way, but not the other way (The "other way" I'm talking about is the change from Snow to Christmas)

I don't recall having to change the .ini files at all, except for geoo's custom levels. Hmm...

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 05:49:46 AM »
Oh my goodness! :o It worked! Thanks very much, and I'm pleased to meet you as well. :D

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 09:41:12 AM »

Sorry for straying a little off-topic, but I'm curious which features of LemEdit or which shortcomings of Lemmix makes you prefer LemEdit over Lemmix.

Lemmix is by no means perfect, but not needing DOSBox to run it (where LemEdit tends to run rather slowly even when you crank up the emulation speed), and the ability to select multiple elements and manipulate them at the same time, those are features that I think are significant advantages over LemEdit.  The worst aspect of Lemmix I would say is the set up, with having to edit LemmixStyles.ini with close to 0 documentation on how to do so.  But at least you only need to do it once.

Not trying to "convert" you one way or another.  Just seeing which areas of Lemmix could use some improvement on, that's all.  So that EricLang could potentially improve on those areas in the future.  (Which is another advantage, until someone manages to track down the author of LemEdit.)

The first thing is that I discovered LemEdit nearly 10 years ago. I'm used to it.
Apart from that, I find Lemmix quite hard to use. For example, having to add a terrain piece/object first, THEN choose where it goes, is annoying to me. There's also the fact that it tries to have a different setup for pretty much every Lemmings version. Simply unnessecary, I like LemEdit's clean way of just loading the graphic set based on the number. The one thing I do like about Lemmix is the built in player - which it then nullifies the point of by having the save/load state of the Lemmix clones not present in it (and therefore, I just use the normal Lemmix clones with LookForLVLFiles turned on for testing).
My Lemmings projects