Author Topic: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.26n-C | Editor: V1.26n-B)  (Read 124981 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Current: V1.05n) and NeoLemEdit (Current: V0.40)
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2014, 01:27:25 PM »
Steel can now be edited. ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/y0dor1ieaqcz8s1/NeoLemEdit_v0.40.zip

(EDIT: Should clarify; it can ONLY edit existing ones, not place new ones yet.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2014, 07:22:16 PM »
Just so you know, the word is spelled "necessary," not "nessecary."

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2014, 05:36:23 AM »
^ It's one of those words I never get right no matter how much I try. xD

Anyway, terrain editing is semi-implemented now. (I'm aiming for editing all types of pieces first; then I'll worry about creating new ones and deleting existing ones.) The toolbar isn't functional for it yet though (but that's one of the easier parts), but drag and drop and arrowkeys are.

EDIT: Same for objects too now.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Current: V1.05n) and NeoLemEdit (Current: V0.41)
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2014, 06:27:51 AM »
Here's V0.41. It contains support for editing the position (but not any other attributes) of terrain and objects. The only reason I'm uploading a version of this is because it now means NeoLemEdit supports all NeoLemmix features that require a graphic interface to do effectively (namely, pixel-perfect object positioning is the new one; I did terrain first which is why that's also in there).

Next version should have *full* support for editing existing objects and terrain (as well as for changing the Z value of steel pieces, which is important with the negative steel feature). After that, the only remaining feature I plan to do in the near future is of course placing pieces from scratch and deleting them, and some other small stuff (like replicating existing pieces). Once NeoLemEdit is fully capable of designing levels from scratch, I'm probably going to put further work on it on hold until LPIII is complete, apart from adding support for any new NeoLemmix features that may come along.

EDIT: Version 0.41a. Fixes a crash when exiting the General or Skills menu if entered while a steel, terrain or object is selected. Otherwise it's identical to 0.41.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lwt6qyq3o4b134c/NeoLemEdit_v0.41a.zip
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Current: V1.05n) and NeoLemEdit (Current: V0.41a)
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2014, 08:48:19 AM »
Bit bored of editor work, so I've been doing a bit on converting existing packs to full NeoLemmix versions. I'm starting with the smaller ones - so at this point, LPII Bonus, Covox, Prima and X91/92. (Well, Covox might have to wait until NeoLemEdit has VGASPEC support...)

I've looked through most of LPII Bonus - the only levels I still need to look at are Challenge 5 and Rush 4. Rush 4 will have to wait until I can be bothered (let's face it, that level IS a bit of a pain in the ass :P ), while Challenge 5, I am convinced that it is impossible without modifications but I'm not entirely sure what I want to modify about it.

Fortunately, the way the LPII levels were designed means autosteel works quite nicely with them - I tended to keep in mind a concept of "tidy" design. On the other hand, while it works for the most part in LPDOS, due to the use of barely-visible steel in some cases as normal terrain pieces, autosteel can have weird results (hence why, until I properly go through it again, I've switched autosteel off in the NeoLemmix builds and am using my hand-modified steel instead, even though it's not 100% perfect in some levels - most notably Medi 19 / Danger 11). There is ONE case of this in the LPII bonus pack (Flight 7), but that can easily be sorted with a negative steel area, it's only one block.

Apart from that, the requirement in Challenge 3 has been dropped to 94% (one lemming fewer) and some time limits have been changed:
Trial 5: 0:45 (was 1:00)
Challenge 2: 1:15 (was 1:00)
Reverse 4: 1:30 (was 2:00)
Reverse 6: 2:15 (was 2:00)

No changes (at least yet) to any of the skillsets. Also considering knocking Trial 1's time limit up to 1:05, and perhaps increasing the requirement to 50% - in its current state, it is only *JUST* possible to beat, and I don't think it's possible to get more than the required 45%.

Trial 6, especially the RHS solution, is quite a bit harder now I thought, just because of mechanics changes. But it didn't actually need any modifications; both sides are still possible under the existing stats and skillset.

EDIT: Also just realised I forgot to look at the two secret levels (I did check they're still accessible - Challenge 7 is same as always, while Flight 7 requires a new approach to get to it).

So I looked at them, as I mentioned above Flight 7 needed some touchups, while Challenge 7 didn't (I didn't think it would). So I just need to get around to sorting out Rush 4, and decide what exactly I'm doing about Challenge 5, and hopefully for V1.06n, LPII Bonus Pack Neo will no longer be a beta version. :)

EDIT: Can confirm *most* of Rush 4 works fine, but there is one part near the end that needs a slight modification.

EDIT: Challenge 5, the decided change is 1 extra builder and 15 seconds extra on the time limit (although the extra time is not strictly necessary; it is still possible to solve in 2 minutes, albeit barely). Rush 4 is a terrain change.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Current: V1.06n) and NeoLemEdit (Current: V0.41a)
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2014, 02:02:28 PM »
NeoLemmix v1.06n.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/0rrt85dg9b9y4/V1.06n

Code: [Select]
v1.06n
------
*  Found and fixed a massive source of lag.
*  Black particle-like pixels no longer appear over entrances in
   certain conditions.
*  When using the skip level cheat with percentages disabled,
   the postview screen now displays you as having saved every
   lemming like it should.
*  If a lemming enters the exit right as an explosion countdown
   finishes (due to the nuke or the Radiation object), that
   lemming no longer plays the exiting animation and sound twice.
*  Fixed a bug where being exactly two lemmings short of the goal
   would sometimes still give a success message (without actually
   counting as a pass; just gives the wrong text).
*  Fixed a bug specific to the ONML Neo player, that added an extra
   copy of the first level of each rank as a Level 21 in the previous
   rank.
*  Lemmings Plus II Bonnus Pack NeoLemmix version is no longer
   considered beta, but the first proper NeoLemmix version (V1n/1.06n).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2014, 04:54:23 PM »
Here's the Circuit style from LPIII. Just so you can play around with some of the new objects, including some I don't think I've mentioned yet. The style should work in any editor though may have graphical oddities in editors other than NeoLemEdit. (However, I've only tested it in LemEdit.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2014, 05:32:44 PM »
Alright, here's a big one!

NeoLemEdit v0.50
At this point, NeoLemEdit can finally fully replace QuikEdit! I will leave QuikEdit up, but keep in mind it's not going to be updated (there's already stuff it doesn't support).

So, you can now edit all features of terrain, objects and steel, obviously including the NeoLemmix-exclusive ones. You can also now use the toolbar to adjust their positions, if you wish. You still can't change which piece a given terrain/object is; but that's pretty much the only attribute of it you can't change.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9ccp82i6npo9at6/NeoLemEdit_v0.50.zip

(Yay, I remembered to actually include a download link instead of having to go back and edit one in this time.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Current: V1.06n) and NeoLemEdit (Current: V0.51)
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2014, 07:16:49 PM »
And why stop there. Since it's so close, here's V0.51, with a few hacky solutions to allow placing new pieces and modifying their types, thus meaning NeoLemEdit can now fully create levels from scratch! See the readme file for more info.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/e1itvsy1x1kf41a/NeoLemEdit_v0.51.zip

I should probably mention about the S, L, Lf and Fk options on objects.
S - This is the skill number for the pickup skill objects. 0 = climber, 7 = digger.
L - This is unused at this stage, it's there for future usage.
Lf - This is the option used for left-facing entrances or pre-placed lemmings.
Fk - This option marks an object as fake.

When enabling negative steel; it's based on the steel piece's Z value, not any specifically settable attribute. Values above 16 become negative. And, negative steel will override autosteel or manually-placed steel. (By the way, NeoLemEdit will display these negative steel areas green instead of gray, so you can tell which ones they are without having to select them and inspect their Z value)

I've also attached a level file; the first level made completely in NeoLemEdit! No special style file required; it uses the dirt style. Just run it on NeoCustLemmix. It's not a particularly hard level, though it does have a gimmick. ;) (Someone asked me this, so I'll answer it here to save anyone else asking: No, this one is not an LPIII level, it's not going to be remade in an LPIII style, etc. This time, it really is just a test thing. xD)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2014, 09:49:56 PM »
I saw the new poll and voted for the restart button. You could even replace the nuke button with it if that's possible...
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2014, 10:34:09 PM »
Haven't paid attention to the poll until now.  In Lemmix I've always been using the keyboard for fast forward and restart, so I guess the only thing left is instant RR 99.  But that can potentially be achieved like in Lix, where double-clicking on the existing increase/decrease RR buttons instantly moves it to RR 99 (and lowest allowed RR respectively).  Granted, the tricky thing with double-clicking is that from time to time you may activate this behavior by accident.  Perhaps a better implementation would be to hold down another key or mouse button while clicking the RR buttons.

I believe in most if not all subsequent versions of the game (starting from Lemmings 2 all the way to present times), there is almost always a fast forward button.  Restart button is pretty rare and may be hidden elsewhere rather than always displayed alongside the skills (eg. IIRC, in Lemmings Revolution restart is one of the menu options, and you bring up the in-game menu by pressing the ESC key or something).  I guess the nuke is just such an entrenched tradition that, even though seasoned players would rather do a quick restart to save time, in no case had an official game replaced the nuke button with a restart button.  Finally instant RR did not seem to have ever made an appearance in any official versions of games in the franchise  (granted, some games like Lemmings 2 don't even allow the user to adjust RR, while others like Revolution actually have per-entrance RR rather than a global one).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2014, 03:09:55 AM »
I remember - and thought about this idea after I put the poll up - seeing one version of Lemmings where a right click on the - or + instantly minimizes or maximises the rate (might've been Cheapo). I'm thinking about maybe implementing that this way.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2014, 05:09:17 AM »
I noticed a basic error on the OhNo version (Hopefully shouldn't be too hard to fix). Apparently all the Wild levels have been categorised in the Wicked rating (e.g Pop Yor Top for Wicked 1 and This Corrosion for Wild 3) and vice versa. I do somehow get Pop yor top when I open up the Wild level list but the level menu displays the Wicked rating. It's problematic if you're looking for a specific level when you enable cheat codes.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2014, 07:09:56 AM »
Ah yep. That's a simple matter of me typing the names the wrong way around, and it'll be a very easy fix. :) Thanks for pointing it out.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2014, 04:08:27 PM »
Making some improvements to teleporters for the next version. It's now possible to make them so the receiver starts animating sooner than when the teleporter finishes (this is of course set by the graphic set, not the level), and also it no longer requires the next object to be a receiver - instead, it searches through the objects (starting from the next one, and it wraps around if it passes the last object) until it finds one. If the level doesn't *have* any receivers, the teleporter won't function. I'm not sure if I explained that well, so to give some examples:

-case 1-
Object 1 is a teleporter, object 2 is an exit, object 3 is a receiver. It first checks object 2, realises it's not a receiver, and moves on and tests object 3. Since it is, the teleporter will link to that.

-case 2-
1 = receiver, 2 = teleport, 3 = receiver, 4 = teleport. In this case, object 2 first checks object 3, and finds the receiver to link to. Object 4 gets to the end of the list without finding one, so it goes back to the start, and finds object 1.

-case 3-
1 = teleport, 2 = teleport, 3 = receiver. This case is similar to case 1. It doesn't matter if it finds another teleporter, it still just keeps going until it finds a receiver. So, both teleporters would link to the same receiver here - and probably glitch if lemmings were to enter both at the same time. :/ (Of course, I'll test this and if it does cause glitches, fix them.)

I won't change the circuit set to make use of the animation (since a couple of levels I've made are reliant on the current timing of them), but it'll be useful for the teleporters in the martian style.

Aside from this, I'm adding another new feature for V1.07n (won't say what it is yet) that doesn't affect gameplay, but might add a bit of fun. :)
My Lemmings projects