NeoLemmix > NeoLemmix Main

Level select menu

(1/4) > >>

namida:
So, I'm working on a level select menu in a similar vein to those of Lix, SuperLemmini or WinLemm; where you can choose from multiple packs.

Currently, it has a treeview taking up approximately the left half of the menu, with the right half being empty apart from small "OK" and "Cancel" buttons. If you'd like to see for yourself, try out the new-formats experimental I recently uploaded, and hit F2 on the title screen. (I felt a treeview was optimal, especially due to that NeoLemmix now allows, for example, for a rank itself to be split into multiple smaller ranks.)

I'm interested to know, what kind of preview details would people like to see on that screen? The full level info? Just a title and image? Somewhere inbetween? How about previous records for lemmings saved and time taken? Talismans, where applicable?

namida:
So far, I've got it displaying some basic details.

It'll display the name of the selected rank / level, the author (if known), and its position (eg: "It's Hero Time" would display "Level 3 of Mayhem", while Mayhem itself would display "Rank 4 of Lemmings"). I'll wait for feedback before adding anything further.

IchoTolot:
Maybe adding the skillcount, the details of the preview, the used tileset or maybe the detailed minimap view of the level is a good addition. As the text is waay smaller than in the preview-screen. This needs to be tested though.

I really want to be able to JUST select the pack though. Now you have to choose a level which takes you directly to the preview. I want to be able just switch packs while staying at the main menu with just loading the main menu layout + rank signs of the pack --- maybe via a double click / clicking OK on the pack in the list.
Maybe level select should be renamed to level/pack select. ???

Also the default pack can be the last pack you played instead of the first in the list.

namida:
Selecting a pack should currently take you to the first unsolved level within the pack. This might not be working correctly, though. If people would prefer to go to the title screen with that pack loaded, I can implement that.

Default pack being the last one you played is on my todo list.

Nepster:
1) I agree, that whole packs and ranks should be selectable (currently only ranks are). I would prefer that they go to the main menu of the pack, not directly to the first unsolved level. Only when one starts a level, the preview screen of the first unsolved level of the pack resp. rank appears.

2) I would prefer lazy loading of pack infos: Only load the packs upon opening the level selection menu. Only when viewing ranks or single levels, they are loaded. Currently it takes several seconds until the level selection menu appears. At first I thought it wouldn't do anything...

3) The default pack should not only being the last one played, but even the rank and current level should be opened already, as changing this will probably occur much more often than changing packs.

4) I very much like your key layout for the level selection menu. But I would like to be able to select packs/levels by double-clicking on them or pressing Enter. Currently one has to click on the "Ok" button (or tab to there). Moreover I would expect that one first tabs to the "OK" button, and then to the "Cancel" button, not the other way around.

5) Probably already on your to-do list: I would like to have the check-marks for solved levels, again.

6) Regarding what to display as an info: A minimap view would be the best, but only if it doesn't take too long to produce. When moving through the level list, I don't want to wait a second every time I go to a new level. Otherwise I would like the following info:
 - Pack name, rank name and title again.
 - Number lemmings, save requirement and max saved lemmings of previous attempts.
 - Time limit or infinite time.
 - Some small talisman icons, if there is one. But not the actual talisman description.
I am not sure how useful the skill count would be, as they are not something I tend to remember. The used tileset may be confusing for levels that mix styles or that have selected a completely different main style for some weird reason.

7) Perhaps we should display some infos regarding packs, too? Like their ranks and number of levels within the ranks. Number of already solved levels in the rank?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version