Author Topic: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.26n-C | Editor: V1.26n-B)  (Read 123680 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.20n-B | Editor: V1.20n-C)
« Reply #330 on: September 21, 2014, 12:31:56 PM »
It's a good idea, but those would be quite a lot of difficulty to code without glitchiness (look at how many glitches the Glider had :P - and there were many more that came up after creating it but before the first release with them included). I could maybe look at them later on.

Also just for reference-  there are 3 free object slots in the Sky style...

For radiation in the Psychedelic style, I might add that too. There's enough spare slots for it. But I'll also add it to the purple style as well.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #331 on: September 21, 2014, 01:11:11 PM »
I've just added an entirely new object type to NeoLemmix. I won't say what it is, apart from that it's something that exists in (at least) one of the official games. I've added it to the Metal style, and will probably add it to the Psychedelic style too. It would've worked nicely for the Circuit and/or Lab styles too, but I'm not adding anything to the LPIII ones.

(This doesn't mean you'll have to wait for NeoLemmix V1.21n to get the updated styles - I'll release them as soon as all 5 are done. It just means the new object type won't work until that update is released. That is unless both are ready at roughly the same time.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #332 on: September 21, 2014, 01:23:06 PM »
Known bug in NeoLemmix: When the Backwards Walkers gimmick is in effect, if a builder hits terrain, sometimes he ends up one pixel inside it. I haven't yet determined whether this can also happen with Platformers. I need to investigate further as to what causes this (and whether it affects Platformers too) before I can make a fix, but I'll make sure it's fixed before the next update.

EDIT: Alright. Fixed that. It does indeed happen with Platformers too, fixed that too (although it's MUCH harder to trigger it with platformers than builders anyway). Also, I finally did something about that pesky "gap in the staircase" issue when turning a builder with a blocker.

I've also added a couple of the suggested gimmicks, specifically:
- Lemmings turn around when a skill is assigned to them
- When a skill is assigned, all other skills count down instead of the one that was used

And I'm about to have a go at implementing the one where any skill that's assigned is assigned to *all* lemmings that are able to do it.

EDIT: Implemented it. However, I explicitly made it not apply to Cloners, as otherwise the lemming count gets out of hand extremely quickly - just 4 cloners in an average level (80 or 100 lemmings) can result in over 1000 lemmings, which causes major lag. It does apply to all 15 other skills.

Known bug in NeoLemmix Editor: When copying/pasting objects, only the traditional attributes get copied/pasted. This is fixed for the next update.

Known bug in NeoLemmix Editor: Sometimes it's possible to select steel that doesn't actually exist (only happens when Steel In Background is disabled). Fixed for the next update.

Known bug in NeoLemmix Editor: When trigger area rendering is enabled, some "ghost" trigger areas appear near the top-left corner. Fixed for the next update.

Some other changes for the next version include confirmation boxes when changing formats in a way that could result in loss of information (such as downgrading from Extended Format to Standard Format, or switching between Lemmix and Lemmini -based styles), and the style selection box defaulting to (though not automatically selecting - you still have an opportunity to choose otherwise if you want!) a Lemmini style when opening a Lemmini level (or vice versa - if a Lemmini style is the first one in your list, and you try to open a Lemmix level, it will default to the first Lemmix style in the list).

Also, one long long LONG overdue feature that I'm including in the next update of NeoLemmix (and likewise supporting in the next editor update) - horizontal flipping of terrain! I'll probably implement it for objects too at a later date.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 21, 2014, 04:05:09 PM »
Another thing I might suggest although not gimmick related: Volume Control? Should be possible via the ini files in each game.

As for free object spaces, I thought about the slow freezer hazard, which sets a nine-second timer when the lemming walks into it, and turns them into stoners! Should work well with the snow & crystal sets.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #334 on: September 21, 2014, 04:08:45 PM »
Another thing I might suggest although not gimmick related: Volume Control? Should be possible via the ini files in each game.

As for free object spaces, I thought about the slow freezer hazard, which sets a nine-second timer when the lemming walks into it, and turns them into stoners! Should work well with the snow & crystal sets.

DynaLem also suggested this as a possible object. Well then, I'll implement it in V1.21n, though it'll be a bit longer before I modify the official styles (and I don't see that object as fitting in too well in the LPII styles - it might've gone well in the Lab style but as I said I'm not modifying the LPIII ones); but it'll be available in V1.21n for use in custom styles.

EDIT: Actually, it might work well for the Purple style. I'll put it in there.

As for the volume control, I don't really know that much about how the sound system works in-depth, so don't expect that in the next update. I might add it at a later point though.

EDIT: Okay, I've added it (as in added the object type to the engine; I haven't added it to any style yet - which also means I haven't tested it, but it'll be tested when I add it to the Purple style, which I plan to do before releasing the next update). As well as that, I've made a slight change to the Stoner in general - in players that have timed bombers (this is possible when building custom games using the Flexi version), Stoners will also be timed.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #335 on: September 21, 2014, 05:52:50 PM »
The updated styles are now included in the NeoLemmix styles download here.

They'll also be included (only for Cust and Flexi, as usual) in the next update, which should be no more than 20 minutes or so away - pretty much just a matter of preparing it and making the post now.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.21n | Editor: V1.21n-A)
« Reply #336 on: September 21, 2014, 06:04:53 PM »
Alright, here we go! Lots of new features in the player, lots of fixes in the editor. :)

NeoLemmix V1.21n
----------------------------
*  In players that have timed bombers, Stoners are now also timed.
*  Added support for horizontally flipping terrain pieces.
*  Added a new object type, Splitter. This is inspired by a similar object in 3D
   Lemmings. Lemmings walking through the splitter will alternate between going
   left or right from it. By default the first lemming to enter a splitter will
   walk right; if the Face Left flag is set then left will be first instead. When
   making a graphic set, the trigger effect ID for this is 21, and the first frame
   should be for right, the second frame for left.
*  Added a new object type, Slow Freeze. This works the same as radiation, except
   it results in a Stoner rather than a Bomber. The trigger effect ID for this is 22.
*  Added a new gimmick, "Turnaround". This gimmick causes lemmings to turn around when
   a skill is assigned to them.
*  Added a new gimmick, "Other Skills". This gimmick causes, instead of the count of
   a used skill to reduce by 1, every OTHER skill reduces by 1. Whether or not a skill
   can be used is still determined by its own count.
*  Added a new gimmick, "Global Assign". This gimmick causes a skill to be assigned to
   all lemmings whenever it's assigned to one. Note that it does not apply to Cloners.
*  Fixed a bug involving Builders and Platformers under the Backwards Walkers gimmick.
*  Fixed the issue of gaps in staircases when a builder is turned by a blocker.
*  Fixed a bug where on the 4th brick, if a builder's brick was destroyed on the same
   frame it was placed, it would regenerate on the next frame. (Platformers did not
   exhibit this bug.)
*  Fixed the bug where you could reset a bomber's timer (in players with timed bombers)
   by assigning it another bomber.
*  Added some of the NeoLemmix objects to the Lemmings Plus II styles.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jb14a23k9zca4gq/AACxtCw38ZUj6q3eYHpCCD2xa

NeoLemmix Editor V1.21n-A
--------------------------------------
> Improves saving level image files (for example, saved images now utilize compression and
  do not have a transparent background).
> The Gimmick31 checkbox has been given an actual description of what it does - this was
  being kept secret previously. Use the Oddtable level/rank settings to set what level it
  refers to.
> Correctly labelled the checkboxes for the three new gimmicks introduced in V1.21n.
> Added support for horizontally-flipped terrain.
> Copy/paste now copies the new properties properly.
> Fixed the bug where "ghost" trigger areas appear near the top-left corner of the level.
> Fixed the bug where non-existant steel areas (usually ones that had recently been deleted)
  could be selected if Steel In Background was turned off.
> Renders splitters correctly according to their Face Left setting.
> Lemmini format is no longer offered as a save option when using Lemmix-based formats,
  and vice versa. To save as such, first change the level's style. Loading them directly
  to a different format is still possible, though it is recommended to load them in the
  correct format then change the style.
> When loading a level, the style selector will default to the first Lemmix or Lemmini
  style in the list as applicable, instead of just the first style in the list.
> Confirmation dialogs now pop up when making certain changes between formats/styles:
    - When disabling Extended Format in NeoLemmix levels
    - When changing between Lemmini-based and Lemmix-based formats
    - When changing from a NeoLemmix style to a standard Lemmix style
    - When changing from a SuperLemmini style to a standard Lemmini style

https://www.dropbox.com/s/efrmjf7mliyzf2u/NeoLemmixEditor_V1.21n-A.zip

Just to clarify on what new object types were added to the LPII styles:

Tree: Updraft
Purple: Teleporter, Receiver, Slow Freeze
Psychedelic: Teleporter, Receiver, Radiation, Splitter
Metal: Locked Exit, Button, Splitter
Desert: Updraft, Radiation

Also, I updated the documentation with the latest version of LemSet to include the two new object types. There's no change to LemSet itself, only the documentation (as LemSet doesn't need to know what trigger effects correspond to what type of object; it just blindly puts the number into the output style file), so if you already have the latest version, all you really need to do is make a note of two new object types - 21 is splitter, 22 is slow freeze.

And if anyone was thinking "huh, splitter? I'm sure I've never seen that in an official game" - it's Lemmings 3D that has them. :)

EDIT: Found a fairly major bug with the splitter. Reuploaded Cust and Flexi (including the Flexi toolkit) with the bug fixed.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #337 on: September 21, 2014, 08:31:19 PM »
Here's a sample level using the splitter. It's not very hard (but, it isn't meant to be).

Uses the Metal style, and of course, it requires the new NeoLemmix version (and style).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 21, 2014, 09:35:44 PM »
I've got some more bug reports regarding the editor (not all of them are new):
  • When loading a standard-format LVL file as either the NeoCustLemmix or Custom Lemmings style, the conversion warning is displayed. Considering that no conversion is really taking place, the warning should not be displayed.
  • The conversion warning is also displayed when creating a new (non-Neo) Custom Lemmings level. (Again, no conversion is happening here.)
  • When loading a Lemmini level as a NeoCustLemmix or Custom Lemmings level, all the positions and sizes should be divided by 2. (And perhaps a conversion warning should be displayed in this case.)
  • The default start position is currently 632 for all styles, including Lemmini and SuperLemmini. For those two clones, that number should be doubled to 1264.
  • Could the mouse wheel be reversed so that scrolling up zooms in and scrolling down zooms out? That's how most programs work (well, at least the ones that I've used).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #339 on: September 21, 2014, 09:42:16 PM »
I've got some more bug reports regarding the editor (not all of them are new):
  • When loading a standard-format LVL file as either the NeoCustLemmix or Custom Lemmings style, the conversion warning is displayed. Considering that no conversion is really taking place, the warning should not be displayed.
  • The conversion warning is also displayed when creating a new (non-Neo) Custom Lemmings level. (Again, no conversion is happening here.)
  • When loading a Lemmini level as a NeoCustLemmix or Custom Lemmings level, all the positions and sizes should be divided by 2. (And perhaps a conversion warning should be displayed in this case.)
  • The default start position is currently 632 for all styles, including Lemmini and SuperLemmini. For those two clones, that number should be doubled to 1264.

Thanks for pointing these out. :)

EDIT: #1, #2 and #4 are fixed. For #3, this is why it's recommended to load it in the correct style then change the style - it has no such issue if you do it that way. I might look into that later, though not promising anything (since there's another way that works perfectly fine) - another issue that also happens is, if you load a SuperLemmini level into NeoLemmix style, it won't load most SuperLemmini-exclusive (compared to standard Lemmini) features, even if NeoLemmix supports them. The same is true of loading a NeoLemmix level into SuperLemmini style. Whereas loading them then changing the style will work fine, once again.

Could the mouse wheel be reversed so that scrolling up zooms in and scrolling down zooms out? That's how most programs work (well, at least the ones that I've used).

I was thinking the same thing, but left it so far because I figured that's what Lemmix users would be used to. I'll look into it.

EDIT: Done.

A feature for the player that was requested a while back that I've added for the next update - saving an image of the current level. It saves the entire level in its current state (not just the on-screen part); it does not include the mouse cursor or the skillbar, but does include the lemmings.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #340 on: September 22, 2014, 01:18:45 AM »
I've coded horizontal flipping for objects in both the editor and the player; though I still need to tidy some things up on the player side (for example, I don't think it works completely right with teleporters yet). Obviously, the trigger area is flipped too - in fact, from the next release, that'll be true for vertical flipping too (with an adjustment to account for that trigger areas are checked at a lemming's foot, not the center of a lemming - unless of course it's an object type that applies to terrain rather than a lemming, which is pretty much just one-way arrows).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #341 on: September 22, 2014, 11:19:03 AM »
As per earlier suggestions, I'm going to add some objects from the Snow style to the Xmas set. If you're making levels in the Xmas style, please avoid using the new objects for now (the pre-placed lemmings, pickup skills and secret triggers) - I'm going to slot in the added objects *before* these, so that I can create an expanded version that's compatible with traditional Lemmix too (without having a few unused slots inbetween working ones).

EDIT: Done. I'll include them in all relevant apps from the next update (and I've already included them in the Flexi Toolkit zip); but for now:

NeoLemmix versions - now included in the NeoLemmix styles zip
Traditional version - Download here.

The additions are water, the ice blower, and the icicle trap. Additionally, I also added the other three sizes of steel blocks to the terrain. (These are added at the end, so they won't interfere with existing levels.)
In both cases there are two copies of the VGAGR file. The ones just labelled VGAGR9.DAT have the standard lemmings graphic on the trap; the ones labelled VGAGR9A.DAT have the Xmas lemmings graphic on the trap. Apart from that one object, they're identical. The same GROUND9O.DAT file works with both.

I've uploaded the updated version of traditional Cust/Flexi with the extended style included. I just need to check (and almost certianly fix) the flipping with teleporters before I can put the NeoLemmix player update up too (and the editor update to go with it).

Just for reference: The Xmas style now has no remaining free object slots so there won't be any further additions to it. Likewise, although some do have free slots, there will be no further additions to the LPII or LPIII styles. With that being said, any additions to other styles won't have any affect on existing levels (all objects will be added at the end) - the only reason it was different for the Xmas style is that I was adding object types that already existed under traditional, and thus saw no reason not to make a traditional version too.

EDIT: About the teleporters. Tested and it works fine when both the teleporter *and* receiver are flipped, but has issues when one is and the other isn't. So I'll need to fix that before release. Also on that subject a feature I'll add is for teleporters to be able to flip the lemming's direction (this will just be a matter of setting the Face Left flag on the teleporter - not the receiver; the reason here being that multiple teleporters can link to a single receiver, but not the other way around, so it made more sense to put it on the teleporter).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #342 on: September 22, 2014, 01:58:23 PM »
Alright, here we go!

NeoLemmix V1.21n-B
-------------------------------
*  A "screenshot" (actually the entire level, not just the on-screen part) can
   be saved by pressing I.
*  Objects can now be flipped horizontally. Note that this does NOT affect the
   facing for windows / pre-placed lemmings / splitters; you still use the Face
   Left flag for that. (You can set both in the case of a window. Setting both
   on a pre-placed lemming would do nothing but look confusing in the editor.
   Using it at all on a splitter is probably a total dick move in most cases.)
*  Flipping an object (whether vertical or horizontal) affects its trigger area
   too. In the case of upside down, most trigger areas are slightly moved to
   compensate for that trigger areas are detected at a lemming's foot.
*  If a teleporter has the Face Left flag active, any lemmings that go through
   it will change direction when they come out of the receiver.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jb14a23k9zca4gq/AACxtCw38ZUj6q3eYHpCCD2xa

NeoLemmix Editor V1.21n-B
---------------------------------------
> Conversion warnings no longer pop up in some situations where they shouldn't (such as when
  creating a new traditional Lemmix level).
> Zooming via the scroll wheel now works the logical way (up to zoom in, down to zoom out).
> Screen start position now defaults to 1264 in Lemmini styles, rather than 632.
> Can now flip objects horizontally.
> Displays trigger areas of flipped objects in accordance with how they work in NeoLemmix
  V1.21n-B (ie: the trigger area is flipped along with the object, and in most cases is
  moved slightly downwards in the case of upside down).
> Contains updated versions of the Xmas graphic set (for both Traditional and Neo) with a
  few extra objects from the Snow style. The version named VGAGR9.DAT and contained in the
  compiled style by default has the standard lemming graphic on the trap; the one titled
  VGAGR9A.DAT can be used if you want the Santa lemming instead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdev659zvsbyjc8/NeoLemmixEditor_V1.21n-B.zip

By the way - although it isn't mentioned in the update log, the Xmas91/92 and H94 players also contain the updated version of the Xmas set.
EDIT: There was a minor graphical issue in these two players - specifically, these players have the Christmas palette hardcoded, so the graphic set *also* having the Christmas palette flag set instead causes it to use the normal graphics. So, they should've used  a copy with the Xmas lemming graphic but *without* the Christmas palette flag set - which they now do. :)
Just for peace of mind - Flexi players built with the Xmas Palette flag won't have this issue, as in Flexi setting the Xmas Palette doesn't affect graphic sets (unlike the hardcoded setting in the H94 and X91/92 players).

If there's enough demand, I can add the save image feature to CustLemmix too.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.21n-B | Editor: V1.21n-B)
« Reply #343 on: September 23, 2014, 04:37:33 AM »
SuperLemmini has been updated again, and it now supports some of the features that were implemented in recent versions of NeoLemmix, as well as oddtabling. Also, the in-level documentation has changed for objects and terrain:
Code: [Select]
# Objects
# ID, X position, Y position, paint mode, flags, object-specific modifier (optional)
# Paint modes: 0 = full, 2 = invisible, 4 = don't overwrite, 8 = visible only on terrain (only one value possible)
# Flags: 1 = upside down, 2 = fake, 4 = upside-down mask, 8 = horizontally flipped (combining allowed)
[...]

# Terrain
# ID, X position, Y position, modifier
# Modifier: 1 = invisible, 2 = remove, 4 = upside down, 8 = don't overwrite,
#           16 = fake, 32 = horizontally flipped (combining allowed, 0 = full)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.21n-B | Editor: V1.21n-B)
« Reply #344 on: September 23, 2014, 04:45:55 AM »
I assume "upside down mask" flips the trigger area (so this is independant of flipping the object itself - or does it only work if the object is also flipped?)? Anyway, I'll get onto updating the editor very soon - probably will be ready in a few hours at most. :)

EDIT: According to the documentation that's exactly what it does.

EDIT: I'm done with adding these features. But that aside, there's also one more feature (applicable to all four engines) that I want to add too - a better way to set the screen start position.
My Lemmings projects