Author Topic: Lemmings Collection Time! *Now With PICS!  (Read 18110 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Collection Time! *Now With PICS!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »
that is quite an impressive collection Mr. Kiwi!  :o

what is that blue box on the bottom left with the long haired man?  ???
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 04:21:53 AM »
what is that blue box on the bottom left with the long haired man?  ???
I can answer that one. :D

It's the box for Award Winners Platinum Edition, which is an old apparently-UK-only compilation for MS-DOS*, which was available in floppy disc and CD-ROM editions. The CD-ROM issue included a badly-botched version of the CD-ROM version of Lemmings that's supposed to have redbook audio. I ended up making a thread about it here. I have no idea why it has a surprised man with gravity-defying dreadlocks juggling/throwing game artwork on the front, though.

*Even ignoring the bizarre box-art, it's weird in and of itself, because x86-based computers running Microsoft software were thoroughly irrelevant in the UK market for a long time, and didn't really even begin to catch on with many until the year after this compilation was issued. It's surprising there was enough demand for compilations like this, although I know that this one was issued alongside a version for the Commodore Amiga.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 12:31:10 PM »
I've got a giant inflatable (psp) lemming. 8) :D

Heh, I have this guy too.  Mine's got a puncture in it somewhere though... haven't found it and patched it up yet.  Someday I'll be able to have it displayed in my game room.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 12:15:13 PM »
I finally had the time to take photos of almost everything in my collection. This includes both official and fan-made items, including the plushes that I've made and designed. Here's the collection as it currently stands;

Soft Toys

Lemming (Knitted; 10" tall)
Darwin (Sewn; 10" tall)
Thomas (Sewn; 10" tall)
Arthur (Sewn; 10" tall)
Opal (Sewn; 10" tall)
Pancake (Sewn; Retailed; 6" long)
Lomax (Sewn; 11" tall excluding helmet, 14" tall including helmet)

(I don't think that Pancake was aware that the photo-shoot was only meant to be for lemmings of the green-haired variety, but he does hang out with them on my desk, so there he is anyway.)

Soft Toys (Small)

Amigo (Crocheted; 4-and-a-half" tall)
Mr. Lemming (Sewn; 4-and-a-half" tall)

(Amigo was bought from BJPrettyLittleThings on Etsy.com, and made from PlanetJune's Lemmings pattern.)

Books

Lemmings Adventure Gamebook 1 - The Genesis Quest
Lemmings Adventure Gamebook 2 - The Hypnosis Enigma
The Story of the 12 Tribes of Lemming Island

(Though they were published after All New World of Lemmings/The Lemmings Chronicles, both of the Lemmings Adventure Gamebooks are based strictly around Lemmings 2's lore, and are set on Lemming Island instead of the Lemming Archipelago.)

(I bought my copy of The Story of the 12 Tribes of Lemming Island on Amazon UK, separately from the game, and, in the chapter about the Medieval Tribe, the book's previous owner repeatedly corrected the musical instrument, the lute, to "flute", in tiny lettering, using a ballpoint pen. I say that this makes it a unique collectible. ;) )

Pins

Lemmings Floater Pin
Lemmings 2 Highland Lemming Pin

(The Lemmings 2 pins were placed inside the packaging of some of the big box editions of Lemmings 2: The Tribes released in Europe, and were accompanied by an order form that would allow you to purchase the pins representing all of the twelve tribes directly from Psygnosis.)

Singles and Albums

Lemmings by SFX

Amiga Immortal 4

(A Lemmings tune remixed by Tim Wright, "Lemmings - March of the Green Tops", is featured on Amiga Immortal 4.)

Strix Memoria

(Strix Memoria, by Tim Wright, features three remixed Lemmings tunes, plus tracks from Shadow of the Beast II and Awesome, whose tunes had cameo appearances in the original Lemmings, and a track from Leander, which itself featured a hidden Lemmings cameo.)

Figurines

3D-printed Blocker Miniature

(The 3D-printed Blocker was purchased from Mel_Miniatures on Shapeways.com, and there are several others available.)

Games

Let's Go Crazy With Lemmings

(Sadly, my original big box editions of Lemmings 3D, Lemmings Paintball, and Lemmings for Windows 95 went the way of the dodo - or should that be "the way of the lemming"? - a long time ago. This pack was a thoughtful gift that thankfully replaces them all, in a format that takes up far less space than the originals did.)

Lemmings (Commodore Amiga)

Lemmings (Single Disk Edition) (Commodore Amiga)

Lemmings 2: The Tribes (MS-DOS) (German Version)

(This translated release of Lemmings 2 also comes with the book, The Story of the 12 Tribes of Lemming Island, fully translated into German.)

All New World of Lemmings (Commodore Amiga)

Lemmings (Acorn Archimedes)

Award Winners Platinum Edition (MS-DOS CD-ROM Version)

Xmas Lemmings (MS-DOS)

(This is a UK budget re-release of the MS-DOS version of Holiday Lemmings '94. This release contains no Christmas music whatsoever, and only uses tunes from Oh No! More Lemmings.)

Lemmings Revolution (Microsoft Windows)

(I'm still working on getting Lemmings Revolution running under WINE.)

The Brundles (Atari XL/XE)

Lemmings (SNES)
Lemmings 2: The Tribes (SNES)
Lemmings (Game Boy)

Lemmings 3D (PSX)
Lomax (PSX)

Not Pictured

Oh No! More Lemmings (Commodore Amiga)
All New World of Lemmings (MS-DOS) (CD-ROM Version)
Lemmings (Mega Drive)
Lemmings 2: The Tribes (Mega Drive)
Lemmings (Master System)
Lemmings (PSP) (Digital Version)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 06:43:15 PM »
that is quite a nice collection of pics. That makes me long for the days of my youth  :'(

I suppose you know about GuyPerfect's patch for Revolution? Also I recommend using a Virtual box with Windows 98 for best results with Lemmings Revolution.

Amiga Immortal 4

(A Lemmings tune remixed by Tim Wright, "Lemmings - March of the Green Tops", is featured on Amiga Immortal 4.)

is there a reason why that pic looks like the soldier from Team Fortress 2?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Tiduas

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel with a focus on Retro and Indie titles.
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 06:53:01 PM »
I just want to say that I love all of your collections here guys!  :thumbsup:

Me myself only own Lemmings 1 & 2 on the SNES and Lemmings 3D for the PC which doesn't make much of a collection. Therefore it's a blast to look at everyone else's pictures.
YouTube channel about video game music, retro and indie games.
https://www.youtube.com/@Teedyan

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 07:50:59 PM »

Award Winners Platinum Edition (MS-DOS CD-ROM Version)

:o Wow who's that guy on the box?  (and which of the 3 games turned him to that? ;) )

(This is a UK budget re-release of the MS-DOS version of Holiday Lemmings '94. This release contains no Christmas music whatsoever, and only uses tunes from Oh No! More Lemmings.)

I'm trying to remember whether Holiday Lemmings 94 was ever released with Xmas music or not.  I know the earlier Holiday Lemmings did have Xmas music but am under the impression that for 94 they reverted to ONML music instead, so that it was not something specific to "budget re-release", but I may very well be wrong here.

(I'm still working on getting Lemmings Revolution running under WINE.)

It's worth pointing out that even on actual Windows the game has issues, even on "too old for MS" XP.  As mobius mentioned GuyPerfect made a patch that addressed most of the issues on actual Windows, you may want to give it a try and see if it helps on WINE as well.  There was also one case where someone initially had trouble on game startup on Windows 8, but it turned out to be due to incompatibility with FFDShow and probably not related to the version of Windows.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 07:15:57 AM »
I suppose you know about GuyPerfect's patch for Revolution? Also I recommend using a Virtual box with Windows 98 for best results with Lemmings Revolution.
I do, aye, but I'm still at the point of it being finnicky about wanting the CD, and then not running even when it's there. Annoying disc-based copy-protection meant for Microsoft Windows escalates to a whole new level of stupid when it comes to dealing with WINE.

is there a reason why that pic looks like the soldier from Team Fortress 2?
I have no idea. :P

:o Wow who's that guy on the box?  (and which of the 3 games turned him to that? ;) )
Why, it's everyone's favourite surprised, confused, game-juggling rastafarian man! I have no idea who he is. I don't think he ever appeared on any other game boxes, though...

As for which game turned him to that, it was probably Frontier. The second pressing of Award Winners Platinum Edition only contained a digital manual, so he'd've had to have spent a fortune on ink/toner and paper to print the lengthy manual for Frontier for reference while playing. ;)

I'm trying to remember whether Holiday Lemmings 94 was ever released with Xmas music or not.  I know the earlier Holiday Lemmings did have Xmas music but am under the impression that for 94 they reverted to ONML music instead, so that it was not something specific to "budget re-release", but I may very well be wrong here.
I'd be interested to know, for sure. I'd thought that all of the Christmas-related releases (barring Lemmings 3D Winterland, obviously) used the same set of festive themes...

It's worth pointing out that even on actual Windows the game has issues, even on "too old for MS" XP.  As mobius mentioned GuyPerfect made a patch that addressed most of the issues on actual Windows, you may want to give it a try and see if it helps on WINE as well.  There was also one case where someone initially had trouble on game startup on Windows 8, but it turned out to be due to incompatibility with FFDShow and probably not related to the version of Windows.
Ooh, I know, and I've got that stuff to hand for when I get to the point of needing it. I doubt it has issues on modern versions of Windows regarding actually starting post-install, though. As I mentioned a few quotes up, in response to möbius, I need to actually get it starting, first. :'(

Looking forward to actually getting it to work, but it's one of those games that's making me wish that the rumoured PSX version really existed, as that would make cross-platform usage considerably easier for me.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 02:43:02 PM »
just to be clear: if you use a virtual box and windows 98 it should run perfectly as is without any patch. That's the OS it came out on. Idk about 2000 or Me. It works on XP with only minor graphical problems. Idk on Vista, on 7 the graphical problems are a lot worse and there is no sound.

Guy tested the patch on wine I'm pretty sure but I can't remember if he successfully made the patch work with it. I think he did but again I'm not sure.
I know the game had minor graphics problem normally on wine but he did get it to actually play at least. --Can't you choose any Windows OS on wine? I would start with 98 and see if that works. It's been a long time since I used wine so I don't remember how it works.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 10:05:46 PM »
I've gotten it up and running, now, and barring not yet knowing a workaround for a particular issue with rotating the levels, it's all running fine. :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 03:32:21 AM »
It wouldn't make sense for them to revert to the ONML tunes for a "budget" version. The tunes already exist so nothing is gained/saved through not having to make new ones, and if it's a disk space issue, the Holiday tunes are both fewer in number and (at least to the ear) seem simpler, so I would think they'd take up less space too.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 05:06:31 PM »
I've looked up videos on YouTube and found something strange. You guys're right that the game uses Oh No! More Lemmings' tunes regardless, but the odd thing is, the order in which they appear is different in the release I have. :o

NieSch

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
Lemmings games I already had (PC/DOS and Playstation):

Amazing Lemmings collection I just bought (PC/DOS):

:party: :thumbsup: