Author Topic: Lemmings PSP  (Read 18186 times)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
Re: PSP Lemmings
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 12:03:06 PM »
I'm not the type that likes to double post, but is it ok to do it here?
Nobody minds. I find people seem to be overly apologetic about double posting... people only really start to care when it's two posts in quick succession and it's a thing that happens all the time

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 11:26:44 PM »
All the Tricky levels. Just like the other video, I put the links to the levels in the discretion. That makes it easier to find which level you want to see. For some reason the hour links doesn't work, but it still shows where the level is.

Lemmings PSP Playthrough Trick 1-30
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 10:43:51 PM »
I figured out a strategy to save 100% on Steel Works in the PSP. Is it possible in other versions? I Googled it and saw a video of a 100% Mayhem 1, but it's the PC version. I made this post with the PSP, so I'm gonna have to watch the video using the Wii.

Edit: I found out that the height of the entrance is wrong in the PSP. The Lemmings can survive the fall when they come out. I'm starting to think they didn't play test these levels carefully.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 11:48:55 PM »
I've played more than one version of Steel Works without a death drop, although I can't off the top of my head remember which ones. It may be because of the altered death drop height in some dos and windows releases. I wouldn't necessarily worry about that in particular. It's definitely possible to get 100% on, although I don't think it's trivial to do so, especially taking the death drop into account.

Offline Ping90

• View Profile
Psp Lemmings Walkthrough
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 01:04:33 AM »
if anyone here needs help with the psp version of lemmings you can visit my youtube channel for my walkthroughs of them  :thumbsup:

you can search SmokeFilms300 on youtube

heres the link to one of my videos Lemmings Walkthrough Ep.1: Just Dig

hope my videos help  :thumbsup:

Offline Luis

• View Profile
Re: Psp Lemmings Walkthrough
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 06:32:12 PM »
How did you make it full screen? I'm making a playthrough of this too here: http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=573.0

I can't do a Mayhem video since my Laptop keeps showing a blue screen when it goes to  the log in page.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Ping90

• View Profile
Re: Psp Lemmings Walkthrough
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 06:40:43 PM »
I just use a screen recorder to films my psp screen making it fullscreen and its easier cause the screen recorder can directly upload the video on youtube

screen recorder:http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/

just make the box fit around the psp screen so there are no black spaces

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 04:46:34 PM »
I think they wasn't going for a amiga perfect version, so the PSP is in it's own unique way. What other version of Lemmings did replicate the amiga perfectly? From the looks of it, I think the SNES did. This find was interesting. In the "Crossroads" level, it has only 50 Lemmings and 10 of them can die, while the original has 100 and needs 100%. The ten Lemmings being able to die hardly changes anything, since it's easy to save everyone.

Edit: I forgot "All the 6s" is not in the SNES.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »
In my experience, the closest version to the Amiga was the Atari ST, which keeps all 100 levels and the 20 2-player levels, although it has a separate set of passwords (IIRC) and you can't use two mice for the 2-player levels like you can on the Amiga version; you must use a mouse for player 1 and a joystick for player 2. I played the 2-player levels for the first and only time with my friend on his Atari when I was about 9. To be completely fair, I can't remember something I only played 15 years ago very well, so it may have been hideously inaccurate and unlike the Amiga version, but I think it's as close as you're going to get without actually using the Amiga version itself.

I've never seen another brand of PC capable of dual mouse control (if you connect two mice to a modern PC running Windows/Mac OS X/Linux they will both control the same cursor, and I suspect this is hardware-controlled and not really anything to do with the OS), so that accounts for a large portion of why the Amiga version has never been replicated perfectly. 2-player was also stripped from the DOS version because of memory issues, from what I can tell (same ones that make the maximum number of lemmings 80 rather than 100). I think it was only replicated at all for about 3 or 4 systems, including Atari, SNES and Genesis/Mega Drive, two of which are consoles.

As for "The Crossroads", it was changed for the DOS version, and it stuck around for some reason – I've no idea really why the PSP version replicates the DOS stats for this level but the Amiga stats for every other level.

Incidentally, I also remember a level that had diggers in the original and miners on the PSP version, probably induced by the frankly weird decision to reverse the order of the icons.

The SNES version comes very close to replicating the Amiga perfectly, but it fails on several counts: Tricky 21 (as you mention); the five bonus levels at the end (arguably the biggest change of all!); no option for mouse control; graphics are slightly different, particularly of the entrance and exit, which look squashed; Fun 16/Taxing 3 (Heaven→Paradise), Taxing 24 (Death→Terminate) and the 2-player level "Graffiti" (personal messages from the game developers at DMA were replaced by crude advertising for other Sunsoft games) have the text of their graffiti changed and Taxing 3 has a different name (Paradise can wait instead of Heaven can wait); and the maximum width of a level is significantly shorter, although this only affects Fun 23/Taxing 17 (if you want to go for the hidden exit, it's in a different spot), Taxing 14, and Mayhem 30, because they're the only levels that use the entire width. Other levels using the entire width in the original usually just had junk outside of the central area, and were clipped.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 12:11:35 AM »
I've never seen another brand of PC capable of dual mouse control (if you connect two mice to a modern PC running Windows/Mac OS X/Linux they will both control the same cursor, and I suspect this is hardware-controlled and not really anything to do with the OS), so that accounts for a large portion of why the Amiga version has never been replicated perfectly. 2-player was also stripped from the DOS version because of memory issues, from what I can tell (same ones that make the maximum number of lemmings 80 rather than 100). I think it was only replicated at all for about 3 or 4 systems, including Atari, SNES and Genesis/Mega Drive, two of which are consoles.

Actually I think you had it mixed up, the two-player version was dropped from the DOS version because they couldn't get dual-mouse support to work, not because of memory issues (after all, they can always reduce the number of lemmings if needed to).  I don't know all the hardware details but I think there are no resource contention issues, it's purely an OS/driver support issue.  Actually I believe by the time modern Windows came along (eg. even in Win95 I think), the OS has support for it, but only for programs that want to take advantage of it, and there are very few that have care or need for multiple mice (multiple joysticks may be more common).  As far as the OS goes, when you're outside a game or other specialized program, of course any sensible OS will let any connected mice control the same cursor; any other arrangement would just be confusing for both the programmer and the user if you think about it.  That is simply not a valid test for multiple mice support.

And of course, nowadays most PC games went the way of networking to support multiplayer in place of multiple input devices.

the maximum width of a level is significantly shorter, although this only affects Fun 23/Taxing 17 (if you want to go for the hidden exit, it's in a different spot), Taxing 14, and Mayhem 30, because they're the only levels that use the entire width. Other levels using the entire width in the original usually just had junk outside of the central area, and were clipped.

Interesting find, I'll have to check it out one of these days.  I know the maximum width was significantly shortened in the Genesis version, but I didn't notice in the SNES, though it's probably easy to miss.  How much are we really talking about for "significantly shorter" (for the SNES)?  I'm pretty sure it's still well more than 50%?

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 07:00:47 AM »
A lot of the PSP levels width was shorten too, but most of the solutions are not affected by this except Taxing 14, where there's less terrains to build over and Mayhem 30 with the bridge removed. I think the reason for this is some of the levels were longer than the area in the background. What do you mean by hidden exit in Taxing 17?
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 10:59:02 AM »

Actually I think you had it mixed up, the two-player version was dropped from the DOS version because they couldn't get dual-mouse support to work, not because of memory issues (after all, they can always reduce the number of lemmings if needed to).  I don't know all the hardware details but I think there are no resource contention issues, it's purely an OS/driver support issue.  Actually I believe by the time modern Windows came along (eg. even in Win95 I think), the OS has support for it, but only for programs that want to take advantage of it, and there are very few that have care or need for multiple mice (multiple joysticks may be more common).  As far as the OS goes, when you're outside a game or other specialized program, of course any sensible OS will let any connected mice control the same cursor; any other arrangement would just be confusing for both the programmer and the user if you think about it.  That is simply not a valid test for multiple mice support.

And of course, nowadays most PC games went the way of networking to support multiplayer in place of multiple input devices.

the maximum width of a level is significantly shorter, although this only affects Fun 23/Taxing 17 (if you want to go for the hidden exit, it's in a different spot), Taxing 14, and Mayhem 30, because they're the only levels that use the entire width. Other levels using the entire width in the original usually just had junk outside of the central area, and were clipped.

Interesting find, I'll have to check it out one of these days.  I know the maximum width was significantly shortened in the Genesis version, but I didn't notice in the SNES, though it's probably easy to miss.  How much are we really talking about for "significantly shorter" (for the SNES)?  I'm pretty sure it's still well more than 50%?
1600 pixels to 1248 pixels, according to the screenshots I have. It's not nearly as significant as the Genesis version and easier to miss. But it is almost a quarter of the playing field.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 07:57:41 PM »
Anyone with the PSP/PS2 version interested in founding out what's the fastest way to beat all the levels while saving all the Lemmings or higher? This was in the online ranking, when the game still had online, and the person in first place in a level is the one that saved 100% or the highest, while beating the level quick.

I tested "Just Dig!" and so far my best is 6:25, which is 35 seconds.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Scott5114

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 04:22:20 PM »
A lot of the PSP levels width was shorten too, but most of the solutions are not affected by this except Taxing 14, where there's less terrains to build over and Mayhem 30 with the bridge removed. I think the reason for this is some of the levels were longer than the area in the background. What do you mean by hidden exit in Taxing 17?

In the Amiga/PC version of Taxing 17, there are three X's marked "EXIT" on the blue wall. The ones on the left do not really conceal exits (one even leads to the back of the fire puffer) but the one on the far right actually has an exit behind it.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 07:52:34 PM »
I can make videos again. I finally made a video of the Mayhem levels. I still need to make one for the 36 special levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRGOw2ID9cE

I don't know how the Lemming stopped mining and climbed a wall and fall down in "No added colors or Lemmings", when I gave him the climber. That never happened before. I tried to make him do it again, and it didn't work.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.