Author Topic: Lemmix Level Pack Topic  (Read 146737 times)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmix Level Pack Topic
« Reply #210 on: January 06, 2013, 03:08:04 AM »
I attached my solutions.

Comments on the levels:

So close yet so far away: Moderate difficulty, but very enjoyable level.
Three's company: I think I backrouted this one.
The Lemming with the Golden Gun: There's not much you can do, and if you've seen the trick before, it's not hard. But to newcomers it's a nice thing to find out.
Crazy A$$: Found this a bit messy, and I think there's a few variations to the solution. Not too fond of the exit trigger hidden behind the trap there, it doesn't serve any puzzle purpose but just to deceive the player.
The French Connection: A solution of pure beauty. Took me a while to see it. You've made a few levels that have similarly elegant solutions that I love. Only nitpick would be that the cut-off piece could have been made a bit nicer looking while remaining straight.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 06, 2013, 06:03:24 AM »
Found another solution to Three's Company that looks less backroute-ish. Under the presumption that you have to save the upper one there' aren't many choices how to get him out of this cell, making the solution not that hard to find, but nice nevertheless.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 06, 2013, 07:57:28 PM »
the only level with a backroute was 2.  :'( (tears of joy  :D )

I updated it, now should work better. At least digging into the top of that pole isn't possible anymore.
Thanks for playing.

-unrelated note- Luis found another backroute to going down, from my second level pack so I may be updating that at some time.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 07, 2013, 07:07:51 PM »
möbius:
A very nice levelpack here again! I'd say your levels are better and better every time. My favourite level was definitely puzzling dirt level The French Connection. I'll attach my replays also now because I watched geoo's ones and noticed that I had the same solution only for The Lemming with the Golden Gun. Here are two replays for Three's Company (the original pack), the first one is my original solution for this level, and I made the second one saving the upper lemming.

Luis:
Awesome work with all 36 PSP levels! It's superb to have a possibility to play those now, thank you so much!

Mod Edit: Restored attachments.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:43:49 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 08, 2013, 05:20:22 AM »
They took forever to make. Especially the evil "Back of the net". :scared: Imagine looking back and forth at the PSP and the Laptop over and over, just to see if you got one area of the level right, testing the distance between two terrains and seeing if the Lemming will land at the same spot as the PSP when he finish building or closer to it. I think I startled working on it on August 2011 then stopped and came back on October 2012. The Crystal theme was used more, but the dirt theme was once again underused.

What I don't like about these levels is the first six levels are easy training ones, which is pointless because the game already has stuff like "Just Dig!" for those. Maybe they thought new players will pick special first and think the first level is too hard. It is the first one on the list to pick after all.

If that's the case, than they should have made the special section unlockable after beating all the original levels. I'm playing other people's levels now.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 08, 2013, 05:48:19 PM »
thanks for finding the back routes. And thanks a lot for the comments guys. I updated the pack now and also added another new level. I couldn't view your solutions to Three's company (Akseli) because either you played the old version or I changed something and mess it up. [I added some decoration]. If there's still a major backroute you can let me know.

I actually made those levels months ago, but the one I just added I made now.
------

yes, thank you for making those PSP levels. Some of them look interesting. They still don't compare to the Genesis level though, I think. (I haven't played them yet so I should wait to comment)

Even though the PSP has up-to-date graphics, I don't think I would like it better. I guess I'm old-fashioned but I'm really starting to like the graphics of the original game. I'd like to get more artistic in making levels with them.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 09, 2013, 09:51:04 PM »
Are there any levelpacks that has levels with solutions that relies on a glitch? I'm asking because I don't want to play those.

Finally beat mobius2. Well except for the first level, because I beat it with a backroute.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 10, 2013, 01:31:04 AM »
actually, yeah a lot of them require glitches. In many packs I’ve played, not all but one or a few of the levels inside use glitches, but few of them are all glitch related. >>>edit: I really shouldn't say most do; I've played much less than half in total.
I’ve recently started playing bulletride and so far his haven’t used glitches however I only got past 2 levels so far (his is pretty difficult).

my levels don’t use glitches (but you already knew that). thanks for playing my sets! I can easily fix that backroute to the first one by removing the blocker. (come to think of it I don't know why I included a blocker in the first place... :-\

I recommend ISteve10, Clam Spammer’s sets… Insane Steve made notes with most of his sets which lets you know if a glitch is required or not. Those can be found on that grey site. (Serj-Gerjen something.net) Something tells me Nortaneous and finlay don’t use a lot of glitches but I’m not sure.

here are some recommendations: http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=521.0

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2013, 05:56:01 PM »
I played through PSP Special levels and attached my solutions so that you Luis could check whether levels are working as intended perhaps. I made replays with Dos Original Lemmings style, is that how you're planned for those levels? For example, I noticed that "The Flood" would be easier on Custom Lemmings style, since lemmings won't die falling from that pillar. I tried to find natural solutions for all the levels, and then also some backroutes. There is a text file included in the attachment featuring some comments. Again, just magnificent work you have done converting PSP levels to Lemmix! :)

There are 11 marble, 8 pillar, 8 crystal, 7 fire and 2 dirt levels in PSP Special. The part of dirt styled levels (2/36 = 5,6%) is terribly small, even worse than the part of crystal levels in L1 (9/120 = 7,5%). :o However, I liked that there are many levels with only few lemmings. One level contains 1 lemming and another 3 lemmings, and even 4 levels contain only 2 lemmings! Only one level has over 30 lemmings, so this differs remarkably of L1 with lots and lots of lemmings in every level. Also, levels in general in PSP Special are small and puzzling, whereas original Lemmings is known of high amount of endurance levels having huge layouts and lots of spare skills. PSP Special levels are easier than L1 levels, though. I rated all three packs tentatively with one star by difficulty, because they didn't go up to Taxing rating in my mind (although the last pack is very close to it). Nonetheless, PSP Special levels are what I mean with enjoyable, easy levels.

- - - - -

möbius, yes my solutions for Three's Company were for the original pack like I said. :P In my not-backroute solution I released the blocker with basher and mined down to the steel a bit later so that the other lemming gets enough time to build the last bridge. But the major backroutes won't work anymore. Btw, I played The Midas Touch now, I solved it before the update and after that my solution didn't work anymore, and now I got stuck in it for a while, I had wrong points of view trying to approach the solution all the time. Good job, möbius! Attached my solution. :P

I guess I'm old-fashioned but I'm really starting to like the graphics of the original game.
I think the same way. I also like Lemmini/Lemmings for Windows graphics very much although they're more accurate, and I absolutely love it when somebody designs levels which are stunning looking. I tend to pay attention to aesthetics pretty much.

Are there any levelpacks that has levels with solutions that relies on a glitch? I'm asking because I don't want to play those.

In many packs I’ve played, not all but one or a few of the levels inside use glitches, but few of them are all glitch related.

geooPkG is the only pack I know which uses glitches in every level (according to the description of the pack, I've played only the first level :DD:D). geooPk0 and geooPk1 use glitches also (correct me if I'm wrong :b). Glitch levels are included in most of Insane Steve's, BulletRide's, siergiej's and Gronkling's packs; ClamSpam04, CSTame packs, JHIsan1 and 1tseug. I'm pretty sure that I used glitches also when solving few of namida's LPDOS Psycho levels, but they could all be solvable without glitchess. There might be others, which I don't remember at the moment, too. When I rated levelpacks by their difficulty at the database, glitch levels increased the amount of stars of some packs considerably. Then there are lots of levels which are borderline glitchy or use tricky game mechanics, I'm not sure if I'd say them glitchy (for example ClamSpammer's other levels).

Insane Steve made notes with most of his sets which lets you know if a glitch is required or not. Those can be found on that grey site. (Serj-Gerjen something.net) Something tells me Nortaneous and finlay don’t use a lot of glitches but I’m not sure.

http://www.garjen.co.uk/Lemmings.php

Nortaneous' nortpack1 and finlay's finpack01 don't require glitches.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2013, 08:24:46 PM »
I'm currently looking in to it now, just to let you know.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2013, 05:50:34 AM »
I had a go through the PSP specials as well now, and I definitely enjoyed them! Big thanks for remaking them.
I attached solutions to a couple of levels, just those where my solution saves a lot of skills or feels somewhat remarkable.

I'm not sure about the levels being easier than original Lemmings. Especially if my solution to Back to the Net! is intended, then I dare say it's slightly harder than the hardest of original Lemmings. I general I find the difficulty comparable, it's just that the PSP levels take less time to execute because it's a lot less grinding (I think everyone knows by now my disdain for the majority of the original levels :P). I rated them with 2 stars for now (except for the first 10 levels).
No justice for the hero is a really beautiful level, but a lot of these levels are (unlike original lemmings :P). I'm a big fan of levels with few lemmings as well.

As for geooPkG, yes, all levels use glitches, more specifically variations of the same glitch.
I think in geooPk0 only the last two levels use glitches, though some of the other use some intricacies in the mechanics that an observant player should be able to spot though. The only level that's really elementary in geooPk1 is level 4 (The way up), though I think levels 1, 2 and 5 don't really use glitches either.
I don't remember BulletRide's levels using glitches, but then again it's been ages and I keep confusing his levels with Fleech's (which I'm pretty sure are without glitches). In tseug's pack, the levels that I would consider elementary are 5-7, though I'd deem 1 and 2 glitchless as well.

I didn't know The Midas Touch was updated, I found a new solution to it now.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 17, 2013, 10:32:18 PM »
With Akseli's attachement, I made a lot of fixing and changes to a lot of the levels, that makes it closer to the real one. The levels were meant to be played in DOS Origianl Lemmings and I don't use Custom Lemmings. Although, using Custom Lemmings could have saved me some trouble in "The run around" because the Climber kept dying from climbing the one way wall and I had to lower it a lot, but I forgot about Custom Lemmings at that time and forgot what it does.

Dig Down, Bash Across: It can be beaten without digger. I just noticed some terrains that I never put that helps you do that.

Bridge Across, Mine Through: Finally fixed that death height, at the top of a finished stair. I didn't know how to remove that back then, without the level looking weird.

Tunnel vision: A miner destorying some terrains behind him when it begins is not possible in the PSP and there's no fixing a mechanic, so I'm just gonna leave it.

Two good friends: I'm aware of the basher destroying two terrains. It can be done in the PSP, but it's hard to find the timing, so when I do it, it's by accident. I realized the brown terrain is suppose to be thinner.

Seeing double! Bashing under the trap was a backroute. The trap needed to be lowered, because it has a different trigger area, than the PSP one.

Not as easy as it looks: Your original solution was a backroute. There were suppose to be a small amout of terrains under the steel, that I didn't know was there.

Wrong points of view: It's not possible to trap the Lemmings with one bomber. This was annoying to test in the PSP. I had to keep guessing when to use the time bombs. :P Talk about torture.

A bridge Over Lemmings Slaughter: You can dig at the start in the PSP, but you need two diggers to get 100%, when you take this route, because the pillar is different.

Quicky now: That backroute can be done in the PSP. I discovered it while buildig the level and added it as another way to beat it.

Notch what you think it is! You can beat it without the floater in the PSP too.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 18, 2013, 08:29:23 PM »
Good work Luis with centering PSP levels, how nice they look now! And all those title and backroute fixes. :) "Not as easy as it looks" has still the same backroute, steel can be dug enough from the left. Also, it might be useful if levelpack descriptions recommend using DOS Original Lemmings style, like descriptions of some packs do at the database.

Two stars by difficulty is definitely suitable for those last two packs, although "Back to the Net!"and "The stairs are not floored" have more trivial solutions than you found, geoo. Levels like "Born a blocker, die a blocker", "One man does all the work" and "Lemming toast" came to my eye somewhat strongly when I thought about ratings. And of course it's certainly nice that more than just one person evaluates those difficulties. :P I guess geoo solved "No justice for the hero" as intended when looking the title and save %, I think that solution is actually nicer than 100% saved!

Okay, I'll try to identify some glitch levels as well. Glitch levels of Insane Steve's packs are at least (pack number - level number) 1-10, 2-6, 2-10, 3-10, 4-10, 5-10, 8-10 (so, many of the last levels) and somewhat glitchy are at least 2-3, 3-3, 3-6, 4-8, 6-10 and 5-9.

Gronklems#1 level 10 uses glitches, as well Gronklems4 level 5, Gronklems5 levels 8, 9 and 10, and Gronklems6 has strange techniques in every level, but really glitchy levels are 3, 8 and 10.

About BulletRide's levels, they're pretty clean, but I'd still say that these are glitches.
Steel digging and starting to build standing on nothing but air.
Moreover, the first level of BulletRide2, The Final Call, is definitely glitchy in my opinion. I used glitches in Fall Guy, pack 5 level 10, but I guess there may be a glitchless solution for that.

I have to take back my words concerning JHIsan1, I just solved strange levels there glitchlessly. I used a glitch in Siergiej01 level 8. Others which I mentioned are so tough packs that I haven't tried them too much. Anyway, now when I think it, I agree with what geoo said in namida's recommendations topic: All these packs were very enjoyable even though there are some glitch leves along. They might still be worth of checking out due to great glitchless levels, Luis. :P

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 18, 2013, 11:13:51 PM »
I'm not sure about the levels being easier than original Lemmings. Especially if my solution to Back to the Net! is intended, then I dare say it's slightly harder than the hardest of original Lemmings. I general I find the difficulty comparable, it's just that the PSP levels take less time to execute because it's a lot less grinding (I think everyone knows by now my disdain for the majority of the original levels :P). I rated them with 2 stars for now (except for the first 10 levels).
No justice for the hero is a really beautiful level, but a lot of these levels are (unlike original lemmings :P). I'm a big fan of levels with few lemmings as well.

Akseli's solution to "Back of the net!" is the intended one. The Lemmix version of this level is better than the original one. In the PSP, there are two nets that are colored orange and that tells you where you need to bash, so it actually gives you the solution. "Chain reaction" does this too.

The stars are gone, since I had to fix the levels.

No justice for the hero is a really beautiful level,

I agree, that is one of the best levels in the special section. Even this review said it: http://psp.gamespy.com/playstation-portable/lemmings/710363p1.html

The first level in mobius1 has a backroute. I would fix it myself and uploaded it to the database and even put his name as the creator, but then there will be two mobius1, since I can't delete the other one.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 19, 2013, 05:03:06 AM »
I found the intended solution to 'Back to the net' now, that was quite an oversight.
I also found a different 100% solution to 'No justice for the Hero' (replay uses the old version of the level).

Moreover, the first level of BulletRide2, The Final Call, is definitely glitchy in my opinion. I used glitches in Fall Guy, pack 5 level 10, but I guess there may be a glitchless solution for that.
Yeah, the behaviour used for Final Call is definitely not totally expected, and it took me quite a while to figure this level for the first time, but then again, it also happens e.g. in Lix, so it's not entirely unnatural. The Lemmix replays I have for Fall Guy all employ a glitch, but I remember solving this level in Lemmini saving 100%. I have a replay of it which I just tried to open, but it causes Lemmini to crash. Yeah, I don't like Lemmini, perhaps somehow changing the setup can fix that.
I don't think building on thin-air is a glitch, I mean, what else would you expect to happen. The underlying issue is that the digger just continues digging as long as there's something to dig away under him, even if it's just a pixel at the very left/right. Steel digging totally is though. The steel handling in DOS Lemmings is horrible.