Author Topic: Is lemmings really over?  (Read 10695 times)

Basherlemming

Is lemmings really over?
« on: October 19, 2008, 10:56:19 AM »
Is the series over or do you think they will carry on?If they do carry on I think they should not make it all 3d but keep the graphics from the original games.

Offline Tim

• Skype name: timfoxxy
    • View Profile
Re: Is lemmings really over?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 12:57:40 PM »
If they do carry on, yes they prob should avoid 3D gameplay, however instead of using the graphics off the original games, they would need to be upgraded to suit more modern gameplay. (for example, new rendering on the lemmings themselves, as I think pixelated lemming characters are more of a "classic game" feel, although they shouldnt go overboard with it)

I am not sure about new skills though. Perhaps if they added variations to the existing skills, like having the Builder use Flat Bridges along with the existing "Ramps". Or even using One-way Blockers (lemmings can continue walking left past a blocker but cannot go the other way) in addition to the current two-way blockers.

Of course just my thoughts on the new stuff, Im sure others have things to add too :)

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 07:36:11 AM »

I think Psygnosys (or Sony, or whoever has the current copyrights of Lemmings franchise) has abandoned definitively the 3D-like Lemmings games idea: just look at the last two more successful Lemmings games: "Lemmings Revolutions" & "PSP Lemmings" are both in 2D, and they are great!  :laugh:

Since Lemmings is not yet have been officially (nor unofficially) declared as "Abandonware", I think we can expect more Lemmings games in the future  :thumbsup:!

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 08:52:49 AM »
I definately want to see another 3D lemmings. The first one was great, although quite lacking in difficulty... only four levels in it that I'd consider hard (five if you don't count backroutes - the final level is one I was never able to find the intended solution to but found a HUGE backroute).

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 03:16:03 AM »
Putting Lemmings on the PSP seemed like a logical move. A full-price puzzle game for the PC is pretty difficult to push into the market nowerdays, I think. You might find real puzzler gems in the bargain bin of a computer store, but that's often scratchware done by smaller companies.

It's not that likely, but if Sony is going to release another big Lemmings game on the PC, I hope they don't alter too much. I like L2 very much, but even I would be sceptical about tons of new skills or game mechanic twists these days. ;-)

I don't follow the Lemmix/Lemmini community that well - I did play ccexplore's awesome port of the Genesis levels, but that's it been for me until now, in spite of several clever level designers out here. In my opinion, however, such community-driven games are the very best way to keep Lemmings alive at its core. :-)

-- Simon

Offline MR_OJR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 11:06:43 AM »
I imagine that when the next generation of consoles appear then they will re-release Lemmings... I'd like to see Lemmings 2 ported.

All in all I wouldn't worry too much, even if it does become abandonware, it'll be remembered for decades to come  :tongue:

Offline nobody

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 10:06:18 PM »
I didn't like the direction they took the series when they remade it for PSP... they seemed to be trying to make it all dark and moody, which totally misses the point of what Lemmings is about.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 03:24:19 AM »
Even if lemmings is abandon, us fans will make sure to keep it alive!

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 08:11:52 AM »
It won't die, Sony won't let a working franchise languish like Psygnosis did in the late 90s and early 00s.

Already there's...

PSP Lemmings
PS2 Lemmings with EyeToy Lemmings
PS3 Lemmings 2
Mobile Lemmings Tribes (same logo as The Tribes, but no 2 ... and none of the extra skills, and only 3 tribes)

... and there's more to come.
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 07:11:42 PM »
Well, there is no lemmings abondonware thing, it isn't possible!