Author Topic: How to bring into action the Lemmings 2 level editor?  (Read 4678 times)

Offline -H0ru5-

• View Profile
How to bring into action the Lemmings 2 level editor?
« on: September 06, 2008, 04:20:29 PM »
I skimmed through the forum topics but I found nothing about the level editor of the Tribes.
I found once the platon42 editor (now his site is down) but have no clue how to use it because it is for Amiga... i might need to emulate a whole Amiga system, but I have no idea how to do it... I hope there are some players in this community who have some experience in the issue.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How to bring into action the Lemmings 2 level editor?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 04:59:22 PM »
As far as I know, no-one has managed to get the thing working on a PC as of now.

I should finish writing my Lemmings II editor sometime, it's just that I'm such an inexperienced programmer.
The Lemmings II format description, essentially everything you need for properly editing levels, is on Mindless' Lemmings page.

Offline -H0ru5-

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 05:30:29 PM »
I see...
Well, thank you for informing me, it's pity noone can handle it.  :(
It is a task which makes worthy to study programming in itself.  :) Unfortunately I'm also not a good one, I have some Basic knowledge from old times and starting C nowadays... but if you are near the goal, I wish you the best, i'm really looking forward to it (like everyone else I guess)   :thumbsup:

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 05:06:09 AM »
As far as I know, no-one has managed to get the thing working on a PC as of now.
I have in WinUAE about two years ago... I've forgotten how though.  I could probably get it working again, but it'd be best if we got an editor on a modern platform.
I haven't read through the Lemmings 2 docs, but if it's similar enough to Lemmings 3 that my editor (which I haven't worked on in forever) code would be useful, let me know.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 09:08:46 AM »
The level format of Lemmings 2 is rather different, you just have a matrix that stores for each field in the map which terrain tile is in it. Objects in the levels are handled similar to Lemmings 3, but the object definitions are plain horrible as they are set up of components with a bunch of special exceptions.

Essentially I have all the routines done that extract the graphics and level data from the files and bring them on the screen, only thing I'm yet to do is the user input and writing to files.

I've used OpenGLUT for writing it, so it should be platform compatible, and I'll release the source anyway once I'm done. But the code is a mess, for the reason that I'm a sucky programmer, and the fact that GLUT is C-based and thus doesn't allow for proper object oriented programming.

So if I really put some effort into it, I could get it done still today. No promises though.

I'm not sure about the Amiga editor, but I suspect that its functionality will be way beyond my editor, so I guess it might still be worth a try to get it to work.