Author Topic: The Lemmings Solution  (Read 18813 times)

The Lemmings Solution
« on: May 30, 2007, 07:08:49 PM »

Let me introduce myself, at the time of writing this I'm 28 years old and live and work in the Netherlands.
I work as a softwareprogrammer. O and I almost forgot, I'm a male.

In my spare time I love playing games like Command and Conquer and of course Lemmings.

A few years ago I needed an idea for a website and since I never really finished the game Lemmings, I thought why not make a Lemmings site in a way it has never been done before.

Well, so I did and you all probably know the result: The Lemmings Solution.

Some technical details:

The games

Lemmings
Total image size: 2.6MB
Total html size: 112.8KB
Used version: Amiga, using WinUAE under Windows

Oh No! More Lemmings
Total image size: 1.7MB
Total html size: 102.4KB

Xmas Lemmings 1991
Total image size: 128.3KB
Total html size: 5.7KB

Xmas Lemmings 1992
Total image size: 127.6KB
Total html size: 6.1KB

Holiday Lemmings 1993
Total image size: 657.6KB
Total html size: 30.3KB

Holiday Lemmings 1994
Total image size: 681.3KB (it shares the Holiday Lemmings 1993 images, so the real total image size is 1.33MB)
Total html size: 60.4KB

Lemmings 2: The Tribes
Total image size: 2.7MB
Total html size: 106.3KB

All New World of Lemmings / The Lemmings Chronicles
Total image size: not finished yet
Total html size: not finished yet
Used version: Amiga, using E-UAE under Ubuntu

Common
Image editors: Paint Shop Pro & GIMP Image Editor
Texteditor: Notepad++ & gedit
Webspace: Free subscription at Wanadoo.nl (now Orange.nl) Moved to a payed host.

Extra information
  • Wanadoo.nl has a 50MB datalimit per day, so don't watch too many solutions a day or the site will be down ;). Moved to a better host :).
  • When I'm finished with 'All New World of Lemmings / The Lemmings Chronicles', I want to start on Lemmings 3D.
  • Infact, I want to do all the Lemmins games :).

Do you want to know more? Just ask me in this thread.

MattKamineko

Re: The Lemmings Solution
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 11:32:14 PM »
Crikey, that's comprehensive! Nice one! :)

And it'll be a big help to my conversion of the levels into Lemmings DS also! \o/

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 12:59:05 AM »
Oh cool, so it's you!  Your site has been excellent to me for all things Lemmings! :thumbsup:  Keep up the good work!

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 03:55:03 AM »
Let me know if you need any help on Lemmings 3D, as I've solved every level. (However, I only know backroute solutions to Jelly Belly Islands and Final Maze - I do not think a believed-to-be-intended solution to either of these has been found even now, but mine are definately backroutes more so than the existing ones. Despite an intended solution existing and having been found, I also only know a backroute to Death Slide).

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 06:38:07 AM »
I certainly will keep that in mind, but I will try it myself first :).

@MattKamineko: I'm curious, how will it help you?

MattKamineko

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 06:18:22 PM »
I'm working on a level convertor to convert the original lemmings levels for Lemmings DS; so having full screenshots of the levels helps me see if I'm placing traps and objects correctly... also, it's useful to see whether my implementation of Lemmings is realistic enough to support the real solution. (Lemmings DS is a big pile of lame guesswork, heh.  :winktounge:)

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 06:55:53 PM »
I'm working on a level convertor to convert the original lemmings levels for Lemmings DS; so having full screenshots of the levels helps me see if I'm placing traps and objects correctly... also, it's useful to see whether my implementation of Lemmings is realistic enough to support the real solution. (Lemmings DS is a big pile of lame guesswork, heh.  :winktounge:)

Ah I see. well keep up the good work!

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 06:00:31 AM »
It's nice to see you here! Your site is awesome! :thumbsup:
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 09:31:54 PM »
Update: I'm making real progress with Lemmings 3, the classic levels are done up to level 19. On average I finish 2 / 3 levels a day.

PS You can access those levels already on my website.. just be kind on the bandwidth ;).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 10:51:11 PM »
When I'm finished with 'All New World of Lemmings / The Lemmings Chronicles', I want to start on Lemmings 3D.

I know this is for the not-so-near future, but I'm kinda curious how you plan to show solutions on your site for 3D Lemmings and to a lesser extent Lemmings Revolution, since those games no longer uses a flat 2D map, especially 3D Lemmings.  (I guess Lemmings Revolution solution maps can simply be the unrolled cylinder, though it might still be tricky to make it look "right" since any screenshots will not be of a flattened perspective.)

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 12:41:16 AM »
Video walkthroughs? <_<

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 04:26:49 AM »
Evaarties: Don't forget the demos of Oh no! More Lemmings called: "The Official Lemmings Companion" and "Save the Lemmings / COVOX". There are new levels there.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 05:39:44 AM »
Evaarties: Don't forget the demos of Oh no! More Lemmings called: "The Official Lemmings Companion" and "Save the Lemmings / COVOX". There are new levels there.

Really, even in the ONML demos?  Don't the levels there all end up in official full versions of the games?

Anyway, I would frankly much prefer coverage of the Genesis unique levels instead.  And only after he completes 3D Lemmings and Revolution.

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 06:30:24 AM »
@ccexplore & Mindless: well, I haven't thought about it. Maybe I'll make progressionshots. Concerning Lemmings Revolution, I think making an unrolled cylinder is very hard, takes a lot of screenhots. Or does someone know an easy way ?

@DragonsLover & ccexplore: At first I want to do all the official full games. And when there's time, I can do the official demo's. And after that, I even might do the levels that are different on the various platforms. But hey, time is limited :D.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 02:04:48 AM »

Really, even in the ONML demos?  Don't the levels there all end up in official full versions of the games?

None of the levels in these demos are similar to the ONML ones. There are even two new "special graphic" levels (one in each). The official ONML demo, however, uses the official ONML levels. You can find 'em on the Downloads page from Lemmings Universe Website