Author Topic: The Lemmings Solution  (Read 18807 times)

The Lemmings Solution
« on: May 30, 2007, 07:08:49 PM »

Let me introduce myself, at the time of writing this I'm 28 years old and live and work in the Netherlands.
I work as a softwareprogrammer. O and I almost forgot, I'm a male.

In my spare time I love playing games like Command and Conquer and of course Lemmings.

A few years ago I needed an idea for a website and since I never really finished the game Lemmings, I thought why not make a Lemmings site in a way it has never been done before.

Well, so I did and you all probably know the result: The Lemmings Solution.

Some technical details:

The games

Lemmings
Total image size: 2.6MB
Total html size: 112.8KB
Used version: Amiga, using WinUAE under Windows

Oh No! More Lemmings
Total image size: 1.7MB
Total html size: 102.4KB

Xmas Lemmings 1991
Total image size: 128.3KB
Total html size: 5.7KB

Xmas Lemmings 1992
Total image size: 127.6KB
Total html size: 6.1KB

Holiday Lemmings 1993
Total image size: 657.6KB
Total html size: 30.3KB

Holiday Lemmings 1994
Total image size: 681.3KB (it shares the Holiday Lemmings 1993 images, so the real total image size is 1.33MB)
Total html size: 60.4KB

Lemmings 2: The Tribes
Total image size: 2.7MB
Total html size: 106.3KB

All New World of Lemmings / The Lemmings Chronicles
Total image size: not finished yet
Total html size: not finished yet
Used version: Amiga, using E-UAE under Ubuntu

Common
Image editors: Paint Shop Pro & GIMP Image Editor
Texteditor: Notepad++ & gedit
Webspace: Free subscription at Wanadoo.nl (now Orange.nl) Moved to a payed host.

Extra information
  • Wanadoo.nl has a 50MB datalimit per day, so don't watch too many solutions a day or the site will be down ;). Moved to a better host :).
  • When I'm finished with 'All New World of Lemmings / The Lemmings Chronicles', I want to start on Lemmings 3D.
  • Infact, I want to do all the Lemmins games :).

Do you want to know more? Just ask me in this thread.

MattKamineko

Re: The Lemmings Solution
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 11:32:14 PM »
Crikey, that's comprehensive! Nice one! :)

And it'll be a big help to my conversion of the levels into Lemmings DS also! \o/

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 12:59:05 AM »
Oh cool, so it's you!  Your site has been excellent to me for all things Lemmings! :thumbsup:  Keep up the good work!

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 03:55:03 AM »
Let me know if you need any help on Lemmings 3D, as I've solved every level. (However, I only know backroute solutions to Jelly Belly Islands and Final Maze - I do not think a believed-to-be-intended solution to either of these has been found even now, but mine are definately backroutes more so than the existing ones. Despite an intended solution existing and having been found, I also only know a backroute to Death Slide).

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 06:38:07 AM »
I certainly will keep that in mind, but I will try it myself first :).

@MattKamineko: I'm curious, how will it help you?

MattKamineko

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 06:18:22 PM »
I'm working on a level convertor to convert the original lemmings levels for Lemmings DS; so having full screenshots of the levels helps me see if I'm placing traps and objects correctly... also, it's useful to see whether my implementation of Lemmings is realistic enough to support the real solution. (Lemmings DS is a big pile of lame guesswork, heh.  :winktounge:)

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 06:55:53 PM »
I'm working on a level convertor to convert the original lemmings levels for Lemmings DS; so having full screenshots of the levels helps me see if I'm placing traps and objects correctly... also, it's useful to see whether my implementation of Lemmings is realistic enough to support the real solution. (Lemmings DS is a big pile of lame guesswork, heh.  :winktounge:)

Ah I see. well keep up the good work!

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 06:00:31 AM »
It's nice to see you here! Your site is awesome! :thumbsup:
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 09:31:54 PM »
Update: I'm making real progress with Lemmings 3, the classic levels are done up to level 19. On average I finish 2 / 3 levels a day.

PS You can access those levels already on my website.. just be kind on the bandwidth ;).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 10:51:11 PM »
When I'm finished with 'All New World of Lemmings / The Lemmings Chronicles', I want to start on Lemmings 3D.

I know this is for the not-so-near future, but I'm kinda curious how you plan to show solutions on your site for 3D Lemmings and to a lesser extent Lemmings Revolution, since those games no longer uses a flat 2D map, especially 3D Lemmings.  (I guess Lemmings Revolution solution maps can simply be the unrolled cylinder, though it might still be tricky to make it look "right" since any screenshots will not be of a flattened perspective.)

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 12:41:16 AM »
Video walkthroughs? <_<

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 04:26:49 AM »
Evaarties: Don't forget the demos of Oh no! More Lemmings called: "The Official Lemmings Companion" and "Save the Lemmings / COVOX". There are new levels there.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 05:39:44 AM »
Evaarties: Don't forget the demos of Oh no! More Lemmings called: "The Official Lemmings Companion" and "Save the Lemmings / COVOX". There are new levels there.

Really, even in the ONML demos?  Don't the levels there all end up in official full versions of the games?

Anyway, I would frankly much prefer coverage of the Genesis unique levels instead.  And only after he completes 3D Lemmings and Revolution.

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 06:30:24 AM »
@ccexplore & Mindless: well, I haven't thought about it. Maybe I'll make progressionshots. Concerning Lemmings Revolution, I think making an unrolled cylinder is very hard, takes a lot of screenhots. Or does someone know an easy way ?

@DragonsLover & ccexplore: At first I want to do all the official full games. And when there's time, I can do the official demo's. And after that, I even might do the levels that are different on the various platforms. But hey, time is limited :D.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 02:04:48 AM »

Really, even in the ONML demos?  Don't the levels there all end up in official full versions of the games?

None of the levels in these demos are similar to the ONML ones. There are even two new "special graphic" levels (one in each). The official ONML demo, however, uses the official ONML levels. You can find 'em on the Downloads page from Lemmings Universe Website

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 05:57:02 PM »
Time for an update:

I played classic level 19 through 25 (found an really easy solution, better then the one on lemnet chronicles).

Haven't figured 26 out yet.

When I've finished all classis levels I'm gonna combine all the screenshots for classic levels 19 - 30.

Update 14 / 6 / 2007: just reached level classic 28.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 05:20:18 AM »
For your The Tribes walkthrough. I haven't completed the game yet, but here's some things I have found:

ALL IN A KNIGHTS WORK!! (Medieval) - You have it listed as one lemming dies in this level. I have been able to complete it with all lemmings alive.
RUPER'Z QUESTLING (Egyptian) - There is a MUCH quicker way to beat this level, however, the amount saved remains unchanged.
Ceci n'est pas une pipe. (Sports) - It's quite easy to lose only two lemmings here.

I'll let you know if/when I find anything else.

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 06:16:22 AM »
tnx :).

fyi: I'm not planning to do any updates yet on finished games, this will be done when I've finished all games. But don't worry, if you mail the solutions to lemmings-solution@wanadoo.nl I will use them when I have time.

PS Make sure you use the word "Lemmings" in your subject, all other mails go directly in the trashbin.

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 07:40:51 PM »
Update 19 / 6 / 2007: Found a solution for level classic 28 (had some help using existing solutions).. haven't got it finished though yet since it is a hard level....

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 09:27:07 PM »
Am I the only one who is getting an error when trying to visit the site?

EDIT: It appears to have been a bandwidth problem for today, the site has gone back up at midnight in the Netherlands.

If you want any help with the SEGA Master System exclusive levels, I am able to give solutions for most.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 01:03:53 AM »
:agree: I must say that the lag is even back again! :( WTF?

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 04:51:14 AM »
Am I the only one who is getting an error when trying to visit the site?

EDIT: It appears to have been a bandwidth problem for today, the site has gone back up at midnight in the Netherlands.

If you want any help with the SEGA Master System exclusive levels, I am able to give solutions for most.

Me too.

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 06:24:39 AM »
I appreciate all your help :D. When I'm ready to start on the different ports I will post here, so just wait :).

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 05:53:36 PM »
Update 21 / 6 / 2007: Finished all classic levels, saved a total of 59 lemmings (does someone know there are 60 to be saved?) Now it's time for me to create combined screenshot solutions out of 300 seperate screenshots. Wish me luck :D.

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2007, 08:33:51 PM »
Update: 24 / 06 / 2007: I'm glad to inform you that all the Lemmings 3 - classic tribe levels are finished and online, enjoy watching them.

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2007, 07:09:21 AM »
Update: 28 / 06 / 2007: Well, I am currently working on the Egyptian tribe and have screenshots waiting for level 1 - 19.

I must say that the Egyptian tribe is way easier then classic, do you agree?

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 06:02:01 PM »
Update 03 / 07 / 2007: Here is a small preview for Lemmings 3D

Level 1
Take a dive
Number of Lemmings 80
79 To Be Saved
Release Rate 80
Time 8 Minutes

#1 #2 #3

The lemmings will walk to the top, make the first lemming a turner when he is at the second highest jumpboard (image #1).

Some explanation:

The bar is a know thing as seen on my website, it shows every action you have available for this level.

The overview will consist of a zoomed out map in the upper left corner and the best camera position that will show the complete level. Note that every level can and will have a different zoom in the screenshot. This totally depends on how large a level is. The final image dimensions are 308x200.

The actions are zoomed in on the level where I try to capture enough surrounding level so the position in the level should be obviously. The final image dimensions are 180x150. In this example I duplicated the same action 3 times to show how I will show multiple actions. They are on one line and will go to another line if you resize your browser. Also, I will make screenshots for every action, in the order they are applied.

I will refer to the action images in the written solution with something like "(image #1)".

Please post your comments if this is the way you would like to see the solutions for Lemmings 3D or if you have a better idea or a suggestion. I'm not making videos ;).

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2007, 12:06:51 PM »
That works. You'll probably need to provide multiple shots for some levels, the worst offender I can think of being Tower Of Lemlab. :P (Although you can solve this level using only the entrance and exit areas, and the part the lemmings walk on between the first and second fall, so if you're only showing the important parts...)

You may also want to highlight exactly where in the level each action takes place.

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2007, 12:20:16 PM »
That works. You'll probably need to provide multiple shots for some levels, the worst offender I can think of being Tower Of Lemlab. :P

You may also want to highlight exactly where in the level each action takes place.

Yeah, that's probably needed, multiple shots. I deal with that when I reach such a level.

The highlighting you mention, I wanted to do that, place numbers in the overview screenshot. But I couldn't get text with an outline in The Gimp (the editor I use under Ubuntu) in an easy way.

If someone can give me a quick way to place outlined text in the screenshit with Gimp, please tell me.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 06:18:03 PM »
Nice typo. :P

I'd say the easiest way is to just precreate digits with outlines (it's only ten different digits) and copy/paste them in. Here, if you need them:

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2007, 11:15:29 AM »
Nice typo. :P

I'd say the easiest way is to just precreate digits with outlines (it's only ten different digits) and copy/paste them in. Here, if you need them:

lol @ typo :). Thanks for that tip.. I think that's indeed the easiest way.

Offline wysiwyg

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2007, 08:41:53 PM »
Will you be doing walkthroughs for the PSP/PS2 lemmings exclusive levels after 3D lemmings? All the original levels are there plus about 20 new levels exclusive for those two ports.

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2007, 06:49:43 AM »
Will you be doing walkthroughs for the PSP/PS2 lemmings exclusive levels after 3D lemmings? All the original levels are there plus about 20 new levels exclusive for those two ports.

Well,

If there is an working emulator available for Ubuntu, I will probably even do the normal levels since those graphics are totally different.

But I want to complete Lemmings Revolutions first.

So push those emulatorprogrammers ;)

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2007, 08:50:14 PM »
Update 16 / 07 / 2007: Well, I finished the shadow tribe from Lemmings 3 which made me complete the game with all lemmings saved.

Now it's time for me to transform 873 screenshots (a total of 21,8 MB) to the solution screenshots you know.

This will take at least 1 or 2 months, depending on how much time I can spent on them.

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2007, 06:45:08 PM »
Update 17 / 07 / 2007: You might have already noticed it, I added Google AdSense to the frontpage of The Lemmings Solution. Don't worry, I don't plan on adding the ads to the subpages (unless it pays off really really well ;) ). Had to add one topbanner on the subpages.

AAA

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2007, 09:56:36 PM »
The site's down for me.   :(

Edit: Nevermind, it's back.

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2007, 06:36:29 AM »
The site's down for me.   :(

Edit: Nevermind, it's back.

Just wait 'till 23:59:59 CET

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2007, 08:18:19 AM »
Update 19 / 7 / 2007: Well, I got sick of it that everyday my datalimit was reached so I moved the site to a better host.

Please update your link / bookmark to:

http://lemmings-solution.vaarties.nl

and spread the word.

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2007, 07:40:38 PM »
Update 31 / 7 / 2007: The first 10 Lemmings 3 - Egyptian tribe levels are online!

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2007, 04:58:01 AM »
Great work!

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2007, 08:47:09 PM »
Update 13 / 8 / 2007: The last 20 Lemmings 3 - Egyptian tribe levels are online! They are still missing descriptions though.

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2007, 01:27:41 PM »
Update 17 / 8 / 2007: Well, I'm still working on The Lemmings Solution but here's a preview of my new project (in which "The Lemmings Solution" will be merged):

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2007, 11:29:05 AM »
Update 20 / 8 / 2007: Here's another preview, you won't be seeing any more previews until I release this site. "When?" you ask: when it's done.

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2007, 09:30:28 PM »
Update 28 / 9 / 2007: Finally all Lemmings 3 levels are online! Egyptian and shadow tribes are still missing descriptions though.

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2007, 08:20:19 PM »
Update 30 / 9 / 2007: Now all Lemmings 3 levels have descriptions.

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2007, 08:27:16 PM »
Your website is really good !
Bravo ;)

OneWeirdDude

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2008, 05:34:07 PM »
For your The Tribes walkthrough. I haven't completed the game yet, but here's some things I have found:

ALL IN A KNIGHTS WORK!! (Medieval) - You have it listed as one lemming dies in this level. I have been able to complete it with all lemmings alive.
[snip]

I'll let you know if/when I find anything else.
What I think is, the gold is given for killing at most one lemming, because the 100% solution requires luck and/or hair-splitting if I recall correctly.  That's the key: If it's possible to beat the gold standard, it usually requires luck or an extraordinary amount of neck-breaking.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2008, 12:56:41 PM »
It's ages since I played... but if I remember correctly, it wasn't hard to do, just hard to find.

Offline Lemmy556

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2008, 09:37:53 AM »
That website help me sooo much!Cool websites!5/5 :thumbsup:

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2008, 07:59:24 AM »
It's been a while, but here's another sneak preview for my upcoming replacement for 'The Lemmings Solution'.

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2008, 06:46:02 AM »
Update: On the first of july, my new Lemmings website will be online:

"The Lemmings Encyclopedia"

It will feature a quick solution form, which makes it easy to find a solution for the levels of your choice. Furthermore, it will host information on all the lemmingsgames.

Note that it will replace my other site: "The Lemmings Solution", in the next month(s), I will remove it's contents.

PS As a teaser, I attached the banner for "The Lemmings Encyclopedia".

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2008, 11:35:47 AM »
Whoa, how did I miss that sneak preview for this way back in March?
This looks really good!

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2008, 07:03:42 AM »
The site http://lemmings-solution.vaarties.nl  is offline, please go to http://tle.vaarties.nl and update all your bookmarks.

PS On "The Lemmings Encyclopedia", there's also a forum which you guys can use for talking on just about everything concerning lemmings.