Author Topic: [SUG] Allow re-skinning the grenade  (Read 1249 times)

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
[SUG] Allow re-skinning the grenade
« on: June 20, 2023, 12:46:04 AM »
This suggestion comes from GigaLem. He asked me to paraphrase our Discord conversation and create a suggestion for him.

He said to me:
"If there's one request I'd want, since SLX has the spearer and grenader, and the Millas are throwing these, is the phantom cubes. Since Millas is based on the Game "Freedom Planet" it'd only make sense for the grenades to look like these cubes for the Millas sprites, just adapting those to fit the size of the grenade."

I would agree as well. Different packs could easily have their own form of a grenade. And this feature can bring a great level-maker to into the SLX system for his future packs.:thumbsup:

The phantom cube is basically a bright green square (see image). But I can absolutely foresee many level-makers utilizing this ASAP.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [SUG] Allow re-skinning the grenade
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 09:21:12 PM »
Yes, I like this idea.

I'll try to add a style check when loading the projectile graphics, and see how that goes.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [SUG] Allow re-skinning the grenade
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 05:40:06 AM »
OK, this was fun, tricky, taxing and mayhem to do... but, after a good evening's work, we now have this feature!

Since we only want to allow customisation of the grenade graphics (spears need to continue to be shape-consistent across all styles, and are instead recoloured by the style's theme by way of customisation), it was necessary to separate the former composite "projectiles" image into 2 separate images.

So, we now have "spears.png" and "spears-hr.png" which live in the gfx\masks folder as usual. However, "grenades.png" and "grenades-hr.png" now live in a dedicated folder: styles\(name_of_style)\grenades. This seems to make more sense, because the grenades graphics are more akin to objects and/or lemmings sprites in that they trigger in-game changes, but don't actually affect the physics map in the way that masks do*.

Here's how the "grenades-hr" graphic now looks. Note the guide arrows above each frame to show which way it's meant to be facing; this is to make customisation easier - more on that here:

So, to re-skin these for your style, simply head to the "default" style folder and copy the new "grenades" folder - it contains both images, high and low resolution, ready for customisation. Note that both resolutions must be accounted for in your style, otherwise the defaults will be loaded instead (I may change this in a future update, but for now it's like this).

This feature will be available from SuperLemmix 2.4.

Implemented in Commits f13a2a4c0 and 7849d134c - 771627f3d

*Eventually, the other items in the gfx\masks folder which aren't physics-related (e.g. countdown graphics) will also be moved to the styles folder so that they can also be per-style customisable. That's for another day, though.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 04:32:14 PM by WillLem »