Author Topic: [DISC][SUG] Hotkey Configuration - UI upgrades, more options, etc.  (Read 1263 times)

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
There's a lot I like with SLX, but I really miss the forward/back frame-step buttons. I need to configure the hot keys really; I'm used to hitting "6" to wait out the builder and space to pause.
I like having timed and untimed bombers, (and grenades and spears. But I haven't actually used either.)

I still prefer the black background. I like my screen black, especially at night.

I like checking the progress here and reading up on it. But I haven't had alot of play time lately.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 11:16:49 PM by WillLem »
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [SUG] Hotkey options
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 11:56:02 PM »
I really miss the forward/back frame-step buttons.

Yeah, it wasn't an easy decision to get rid of the half-buttons, but something had to go to get the extra skill buttons (worth having due to the sheer number of available types, IMHO). It cleans the code up a bit as well, tbh, so they probably will stay gone. You can still step forward with LMB, and RMB is now a backskip (try it out, you might find it's more useful).

I need to configure the hot keys really; I'm used to hitting "6" to wait out the builder and space to pause.

Is anyone else finding the new hotkey layout offputting? I could absolutely bring back the default NL ones, I only chose mine because I map more keys and "P" for pause makes more sense to me than the Spacebar. But, if people prefer the NL layout I could absolutely put it back in, at least as an option.

Actually, I'll do that anyway. But do let me know your thoughts on the hotkeys, generally.

I like having timed and untimed bombers, (and grenades and spears. But I haven't actually used either.)

Yes, we need some levels. After I've finished the current version of SLX and got it stable, I'll start making levels for it.

I still prefer the black background. I like my screen black, especially at night.

I considered adding an option to always make the background a certain colour, and actually got as far as a working dropdown option (with Amiga Blue, DOS Black or Get From Theme as the choices). I eventually decided against it due to the fact that it overrides creator content, which is something I want to avoid with SLX (hence removing the "Force Default Sprites" option).

If you do want to change the background of a style to black though, simply go into the style's folder, open theme.nxtm, and change the BACKGROUND to $000000. Then, any level using that style will have a black background. It takes about 2 mins to do it for all the original styles. You can also use the Find & Replace feature in Notepad++ to automatically do this for all styles, but I personally wouldn't recommend it because some styles look better with a lighter background (zanzindorf_cloud springs to mind).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 03:16:26 PM by WillLem »

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 02:48:22 AM »
I'm enjoying using the RMB to back up frames now. I don't think I'll miss the buttons anymore. I still prefer space for pause though.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 03:16:36 PM by WillLem »
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 04:46:50 AM »
I'm enjoying using the RMB to back up frames now. I don't think I'll miss the buttons anymore.

Glad to know! It's a bit of a game changer, this one ;)

I still prefer space for pause though.

As I'm sure you're aware, it's possible to configure your own hotkeys via the F3 Config menu (just thought I'd mention that in case anyone reading this isn't aware).

But, if you prefer to just use the defaults and/or you don't want to have to individually configure them, it's absolutely possible to copy over your existing NeoLemmix hotkeys. You can find them in NeoLemmix/settings as a .ini file. Simply drag and drop this file into the equivalent folder in the SuperLemmix directory, and you'll have the exact same hotkeys you're used to in NeoLemmix.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 03:16:54 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [DISC][SUG] Hotkey options
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 09:03:47 PM »
I'm currently looking at adding buttons for "Reset" and "Cancel" to the Hotkey dialog.

Unfortunately, the hotkey managing code is a hot mess so this is not as straightforward as I imagined it would be.

The buttons are currently there, but they do nothing. Also, the "Save & Close" button doesn't actually save the hotkeys. This happens automatically when the F3 Config dialog itself is closed. Trivial, maybe, but these things need to be clear when looking at adding more functionality.

I'll update this topic when I've made some progress.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 10:55:33 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 10:52:36 PM »
Aaaaand boosh! It's amazing what a cup of tea and a bit of laundry sorting will do.

All 3 buttons now work as expected (implemented in Commit 54b582d):

:tal-gold: "Save & Close" saves the hotkeys.ini file there and then according to any changes made, and closes the form
:tal-gold: "Reset" re-loads the previously saved hotkeys.ini file, overwriting any changes made
:tal-gold: "Cancel" re-loads the previously saved hotkeys.ini file, and closes the form - effectively, closing without saving

(and, [Esc] also exits the form without changes, as per this suggestion)

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 01:31:51 AM »
I can't wait for the next release!
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [DISC][SUG] Hotkey Configuration - UI upgrades, more options, etc.
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2023, 11:18:44 PM »
As of 2.5, the "Set to Alternative Layout" button will be re-named to "Set to NeoLemmix Layout", as it's essentially the NeoLemmix defaults.

I'm also hoping to record a video tutorial soon to help users navigate the hotkey editing interface, as it can be a bit daunting when you don't know what you're looking for.