Author Topic: Unnecessary Fun Facts  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Tunik5448

• Gadget Garden.
    • View Profile
    • My site
Unnecessary Fun Facts
« on: April 13, 2023, 04:32:40 AM »
Did you know?

V-Tech used to incorporate actual computer components into their computers!

In fact, their Pre Computer 1000 actually used a CMOS based chip inside of it!

The Power Zone 2000's gui looked a lot like windows, and you could save on a 2gb flash rom! It also had mouse and printer functionality!

Too bad all they do now is just make computers for babies now, and only babies.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
Re: Unnecessary Fun Facts
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 07:12:05 AM »
I love facts, I have a couple. Please feel free if you disagree with a fact, you never know you might be correct to disagree, facts tend to change when we learn more. :) :) I thought I'd do age related facts.

The oldest person alive today was born in 1907.  The oldest person who has lived the longest died back in the 1990s at the age of 122. Some age when you think about it.

My Gran is coming up for 101 this year all going well.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 09:48:42 AM »
Please feel free if you disagree with a fact, you never know you might be correct to disagree

Is it possible to disagree with a fact? ???

facts tend to change when we learn more

I've always found it fascinating that what we take to be "knowledge" is actually very much based on our perception of the world and our attempts to communicate with one another about it. For example, when we give something a name (like, "chocolate"), we place some kind of limitation on it in order to be able to comprehend it and communicate with one another about it, but true understanding is a much deeper and more nuanced experience. Eat a piece of chocolate, and you understand way more about it than words could possibly convey. We attempt to communicate this by placing limiting words onto what we've experienced: "delicious", "smooth", "creamy", "sugary", etc. The word "chocolate", then, might be a much quicker way to communicate the experience as a whole.

Technology has exponentially increased our learning potential, no doubt. I love to look at old maps of the world from the age of exploration - the cartographers of the past were unbelievably accurate given their limited tools and much slower methods of travel than we have today. This was all ships, maps, compasses, pencil and paper:

My Gran is coming up for 101 this year all going well.

A grand old age! My best wishes to her :)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 02:47:46 PM »
Hope you are doing okay yourself WillLem. :)

Thanks WillLem :thumbsup: Gran had a fish supper yesterday, she goes for a fish supper on the Friday, something she looks forward to.

Looking at the old maps are interesting seeing what the world was like before our time.  Must of been a lot of work making up those maps in the past.  I like how different places have some of the explorers name like drakes passage or hudson bay. Good way of putting it there with the word knowledge and with the chocolate thing you have to experience it to understand more.  There's a really good youtube channel called (thoughty2), his take on things is very interesting, he loves talking about different subjects, looking into them a bit more.   I really enjoy his channel :thumbsup:

One of the trivial pursuit board game one time I think got into a bit of trouble, this was a bit in the past, I think it was to do with the type of facts they were using and some of the facts were maybe a bit too debatable, maybe for example I remember one of them being what is Columbo's first name. Phillip and Frank came up as the first name sometimes when you google it. I think the way they done the show was probably that they wanted that part to remain a mystery his first name.

I think it was actually a cartographer that invented the Jigsaw, I can sort of see the resemblance.

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2024, 04:27:57 PM »
I'm also into old world maps. I have a couple framed and hanging in my house. I also have one flat-earther in the family that I intend to
help find his way some day.

I love history. And specifically World history and old dead religions and how they all worked.
...Jeremy Kapp