Author Topic: Level Design Contest #27 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)  (Read 13940 times)

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
Re: Level Design Contest #27 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2023, 08:16:00 AM »
solved
3) Niesch's Splash or Splat (had to slightly tweek both intended one and Talisman one)
4) Niesch's Tomb of Doom

Well done! :thumbsup:
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2023, 09:00:10 AM »
Still not quite for R3. For V5, swapped the cannibal trap with the smaller wrong exit trap and replaced the brick with a not as wide one.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2023, 05:52:51 PM »
Solution for V5 of

Kaywhyn's Hero Time Again?

Offline ∫tan x dx

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2023, 06:46:47 PM »
@ericderkovits

D'ohhh! Another backroute! :forehead:

V4 has been uploaded! :P

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2023, 07:47:58 PM »
Solution for V4 of

Tan x dx's Garden of Love

Offline ∫tan x dx

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2023, 09:52:02 PM »
@ericderkovits

I'm going to accept this as intended! :thumbsup:

I see you saved an extra lemming and a bomber, but I think that's close enough to my solution!

Nicely done! :thumbsup:

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2023, 05:47:12 PM »
I have some resolved levels from tan x dx and kaywhyn. :)

@kaywhyn: I noticed in your new R3 level that the traps are missing their frames and therefore look a bit odd (the trapdoory had some extra frames around them in L3). --> They are also among the objects. ;)

Nice level though and I think my solution should be intended! :thumbsup:

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2023, 08:53:32 PM »
Icho

R1 - 100% intended now! Nice job! :thumbsup: I'll reiterate here, which is your solution to the previous version of the level was intended, except I didn't realize there was one trick in the bottom left area that could be avoided. Now, in this latest version I do see that it was used, and with that the other tricks I intended as well are now all there, so I'm happy :) I think you can now see that the way you placed the stacker was completely self-inflicted and therefore the solution was made more complicated than it needed to be in the previous version. With the change I made, not only did it eliminate the pixel precision (there should be a few pixels more leeway in the stacker placement now ;)), it also enforced a trick I intended in the bottom left area.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

R2 - Your solution was already 100% intended from the previous version, but the reason for the change was to fix a very glaring backroute found by eric that allowed you to send several lemmings past the zapper trap, therefore allowing you to save and finish with a lot of time to spare. I hope the steel on the thin pole is still noticeable, as I realize that it can be a bit hard to make out. Once again, thank you so much for your tip on how to make thinner steel pieces! :thumbsup:

R3 - Your solution is essentially intended, with the only minor thing that isn't intended is the use of the bomber to avoid the trap. I could maybe make some changes to enforce the solution I had in mind better, but I'm quite on the fence about it here and is probably a very big nitpick on my part if I do make an update. I'll think about it, but if I do release an update that's really the only skill assignment you need to tweak in that area. There will probably be one other change I'll make that won't affect the solution as well, so I'll likely release an update after all, but I'll do it when I'm good and ready.

I do apologize for not being more original with my R3. As you can probably guess from the level title, this is inspired by Mayhem 3 of L1, only I took things further and made the solution a bit harder and also uses the two new skills added to stable NL, the slider and the laser. So really, this was just my attempt at another 1-of-everything (the other one of mine that's this type of level was "Cross into the light, my lems" from LDC 23) that is a "It's hero time!" type level, meaning the only reason for the 1 minute time limit is simply due to it being a characteristic of that level :laugh: This was the only kind of level I could think of for weeks, and I tried my best to come up with some other level for R3, but nope, I had nothing else in mind.

Regarding the traps, are you saying that the idle animation is a few frames too short? Or the killing animation? Of course, credit goes to TTW for the secondary animations for them, as I didn't change anything here with the triggers. In the process of updating my R3, I've also noticed that the trap triggers are different widths and heights as well. I definitely could enforce the solution better if I had used the small square trapdoor trap instead of the cannibal one, but it still would had required burying the trigger very deeply into the terrain (though not as much as the latter) and would had made it not look as nice IMO.

As usual, I can't thank you enough for playing my levels and the very useful feedback as always! :thumbsup: I'm always constantly looking to improve my levels in any way possible, especially the visuals, and all your feedback has proven to be very valuable with helping me improve :) Also, as mentioned in the LDC Compilation topic, like you, I can definitely see the huge improvement in the visual department in my more recent levels! :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2023, 10:24:27 PM »
Regarding the traps, are you saying that the idle animation is a few frames too short? Or the killing animation? Of course, credit goes to TTW for the secondary animations for them, as I didn't change anything here with the triggers. In the process of updating my R3, I've also noticed that the trap triggers are different widths and heights as well. I definitely could enforce the solution better if I had used the small square trapdoor trap instead of the cannibal one, but it still would had required burying the trigger very deeply into the terrain (though not as much as the latter) and would had made it not look as nice IMO.

No, nothing to do with idle animations or triggers! It's rather that there is another object that normally blongs to them.

With frames I mean a literal frame for the objects!

Take a look at the "trap_door_frame" and "trap_wrong_exit_frame" objects of the l3_egypt style and you'll see what I am referring to. ;)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2023, 11:49:25 PM »
No, nothing to do with idle animations or triggers! It's rather that there is another object that normally blongs to them.

With frames I mean a literal frame for the objects!

Take a look at the "trap_door_frame" and "trap_wrong_exit_frame" objects of the l3_egypt style and you'll see what I am referring to. ;)

Ah, I see what you're saying. I didn't know about that at all. I thought that's how the traps were supposed to look, without the frames. However, I have not played the game L3, so of course your knowledge here about the door traps was quite helpful. Also, now that I think about it, I should had known about those door traps not looking right due to seeing them in your United pack anyway, so that should had occurred to me, but it didn't. I wonder if the L3 Egypt style can be changed to merge the frames with those door traps, then ??? In that case, I'll make sure to release an update to my R3 to include the outer frame of those trapdoor traps before you record your video on your updated solutions. I'll likely do this in about a week or two, once I'm back from my hiatus from Lemmings and have played through all the Lix and contest entries myself ;)

To reiterate, your solutions to my R1 and R2 are 100% intended, while R3 I'm a bit on the fence though the solution I have in mind isn't very much different so I may let it slide, I might not. I'll have to think about it.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2023, 09:26:24 AM »
I've released a V6 for my R3 not to fix a backroute, but rather one that adds in the door frame objects for the wrong trapdoor traps, as well as added some additional door traps in the bottom left area just in case there are any funny ideas that can be used there to backroute the level even though I'm certain they aren't needed. Just one trap suffices, but can't go wrong with making triple sure, right? :laugh: Here, I must thank Icho for his feedback and lending his knowledge of the L3 door traps having a literal door frame! :thumbsup: I honestly didn't know about that, but it does make sense, since what's supporting the door and allowing them to stand upright otherwise? Also, I should had known that they didn't look right without the frames because of how I've seen them used in Icho's United pack, but nope, I didn't catch myself. 

@Icho

After thinking long and hard about it, I've decided to accept your R3 solution, so nice job solving it nearly intended! :thumbsup: Really, if I did in fact release an update, it would just be a steel block on the terrain where the trap is and hence all that's needed to fix the replay is adjusting the bomber placement by a pixel or two. In the end, I decided against the fix, since it just looked strange to me despite just being a steel block. And yea, that would just be a very huge nitpick on my end, when your solution isn't that much different from mine and the effect is essentially the same,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've attached my solution for you to compare. Really the only difference to my solution is I use different lemmings at the start to do the first few skill assignments and the bomber assignment but is otherwise the same. I also grant you permission to show off my intended solution to my R3 after you show off yours, if you want. You don't have to, of course, but just know you have my permission to show my replay solution for your video :)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2023, 10:01:29 AM »
Finally started playing through these! I have solved the R2's and R3's of geoo's and Simon's Lix levels, as well as all the R1's. My replays are attached.
Phew, save for TTW and WillLem's levels, I must say these R1's were all deceivingly tough! I also haven't had any luck with Simon's and geoo's R1's yet. I'll have another go at them later! No hints, of course! :P

For tan x, is it correct that there aren't any stackers anymore for your R1? When I was watching Icho's video on the R1's, the level had stackers, but it seems that in V4 there aren't stackers ??? It just has bombers and builders now, with most of them as pickups.

Simon's Bumper Cave R2V1 (click to show/hide)

Simon's Rhizome R3V2 (click to show/hide)

geoo's Pommes schranke R3V2 (click to show/hide)

All rightie, now my feedback on the R1 NL entries.

Niesch's Tomb of Doom R1V2 (click to show/hide)

tan x's Garden of Love R1V4 (click to show/hide)

WillLem's The Instrument R1V1 (click to show/hide)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2023, 06:47:30 PM »
Rhizome: This is a backroute. Good find! I already have an idea for fixing it. I'll see when I have time. Released Rhizome v3 with fix. Thanks!

Bumper Cave: Intended. Bumper Cave is deliberately easy to counterbalance the fiddliness in Last Shall Be First.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:06:57 PM by Simon »

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2023, 06:58:35 PM »
@kaywhyn That's intended 8-) Well done on saving additional lemming.
Your solution is identical to geoo's and eric's.
It's possible to solve the level without RR fiddling with the extra bomber. But it's optional. ;)
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2023, 10:09:51 PM »
Natural-born v4: Armani, the wider waterfall hasn't fixed my backroute from Natural-born v3. The lemmings can swim upwards even in the wider waterfall. I've thought that for a month and never came around to re-solve it, but here's the proof, finally.

-- Simon