Author Topic: Ramond streams lemforum, 2022-12  (Read 8772 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Ramond streams lemforum, 2022-12
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2022, 04:35:38 AM »
Low Profile: I agree to downrank it. I'd argue that batter puzzles are rare enough to make it feel harder than it really is, and a moderate downrank is okay. Then it will rank how it feels, which I think is good, even though it could technically downrank more.

Lixes in Motion: Yes, a wonderful a-ha puzzle. Hard to see without hints, indeed. I'd be fine with upranking it.

Buy One Get One Free Part 2: You had fewer problems with it than I or Flopsy had with it. We consider to uprank it, and I think it still warrants some upranking even after your success.

After you've solved Lixes in Motion, you ran into github #428: Next-level cache should update after solving. The level cache behind the next-level dialog decided to show you Gomen Ne earlier during the same run as next unsolved. Until you restart Lix, that dialog will then keep believing that Gomen Ne is unsolved, and will present it again and again. Whenever you solve levels out of order without restarting Lix, you can run into this bug.

With all the singleplayer solving on stream, this bug has become more important. It's now common to have Lix running for several hours and solve levels out of order.

I'll look into this caching bug.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 05:37:33 AM by Simon »

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2022, 06:07:17 PM »
Buy One Get One Free Part 2: You had fewer problems with it than I or Flopsy had with it. We consider to uprank it, and I think it still warrants some upranking even after your success.

This is one level where I do need to mention I feel like my first community pack solve (was it around 2015? not sure) did help me with this, because
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thus my solution process for this level definitely had bias. Indeed! Verily, I say... Ergo!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2022, 02:15:11 AM »
I loved your solution to Diving Three by Two; which was much simpler than mine or Simon's solution. ...Don't know why I didn't see that thd day Simon was streaming..

In your streams I see music from "Madelein's World OST" I couldn't find that on youtube; what is that?

Great job on the pack so far! :thumbsup:
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2022, 09:10:59 AM »
In your streams I see music from "Madelein's World OST" I couldn't find that on youtube; what is that?

Glad you asked :D Madeleine's World is a private romhack for Super Mario World which I created, and with it I sequenced the complete soundtrack myself using the SNES music engine. It's a mix of original compositions, songs from bands I've played with and other internationally known pop songs or video game tracks. If you're interested in any of the tracks, I could link you the originals or even the soundtrack itself.

I'm on a great Lix roll - having a blast with solving the levels, and have yet to encounter another big stumper like Lixes in Motion! Maybe Changing of the Guards is going to be the one; I definitely remember that one being pretty hard for me in my first playthrough as well!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2022, 02:07:33 PM »

Glad you asked :D Madeleine's World is a private romhack for Super Mario World which I created, and with it I sequenced the complete soundtrack myself using the SNES music engine. It's a mix of original compositions, songs from bands I've played with and other internationally known pop songs or video game tracks. If you're interested in any of the tracks, I could link you the originals or even the soundtrack itself.

I'm on a great Lix roll - having a blast with solving the levels, and have yet to encounter another big stumper like Lixes in Motion! Maybe Changing of the Guards is going to be the one; I definitely remember that one being pretty hard for me in my first playthrough as well!

I would like that link; I liked what I heard there, great job! I may also have to try that SMW hack as long as its not too kaizo for my ability :lix-dead:

Great job on the lix pack as well; its no easy task!
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2022, 08:54:14 PM »
I was wondering the same, that song stood out to me but I couldn't find any information. Thought maybe it was a Celeste mod or something. Would be happy to have the soundtrack as well :)

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2022, 03:32:01 PM »
Episode 8: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1685074707 --- Vicious 6-21

I realized the new release of Lix fixes a backroute of a level I played in the stream, which means I will probably need to go back to that level after the update to check my replay.

About the OST: I am considering to put it up officially somewhere, stay tuned for more information.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2022, 09:14:02 PM »
Managed to skim through the recordings. A few notes:

Stairs bro: Interesting alternative solution which I'd argue is trickier than the intended one.
Merge Sort: Interesting to see you struggle, and somehow finding a solution without fully understanding why it works. There's a key observation about merging (which I thought was obvious, but seeing different people struggle I guess it's not) which, once realized, makes it very clear where and when to place the miners.
Downpour: Used to have timed bombers, so I set the requirement low to make the level not too annoying. Now with instant bombers, it's quite trivial so maybe the save requirement could be raised a bit.
Impetus, Prelude, Lix Cannon: Look like backroutes?

I agree with your assessment that Lovely and Quirky contain some levels which seem too complex for the rank, and maybe it'd have been sensible to make these ranks a bit easier than their are overall. For example, Lovely could contain a few more levels with small skillsets that reinforce the behaviour of certain skills (like Beneath the Lab reinforces that builders turn while platformers do not).
Time to change the road: Used to have a time limit, enforcing a specific idea. Now it's easier, so I think it could be moved down to Lovely. (Could also fix it enforce my initial idea, but in line with the assessment above I'd also support the simple downrank).
100 ways to die: Should this maybe go into Lovely as well?

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2022, 04:34:23 PM »
Time to change the road: Used to have a time limit, enforcing a specific idea. Now it's easier, so I think it could be moved down to Lovely. (Could also fix it enforce my initial idea, but in line with the assessment above I'd also support the simple downrank).
100 ways to die: Should this maybe go into Lovely as well?

100 ways to die: Hard to assess as an experienced player. I re-solved it quite fast, could be different for a new player. But downranking seems ok.

Time to change the road: I actually struggled to re-solve this though there exists an easy solution. I think I solved it close to geoo's original idea (the more difficult way) -

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2023, 02:03:57 AM »
Heh, I said I wouldn't really ask for many backroute fixes to my levels, but Wait Why Is There A Tree is far enough from intended to where I'd call it one.

Fortunately I think the fix is pretty easy:

Nice work finding it, though! Also, terrific job solving so far! Looking forward to the future vids (especially Hopeless)!
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2023, 04:26:52 PM »
Thanks! You created some of the most memorable levels from the lemforum pack for me personally, especially the slapstick level names but also the unique puzzle style. Each time I reach a new Insane Steve level on stream I smile in jolly anticipation and mention it.

To reiterate, I have solved all but 2 levels of the lemforum pack back in 2015, but I don't really remember the solutions. They might still be lingering in my subconscious though, so part of my success could possibly be attributed to that.

Episode 9 is out, by the way! https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1698690404 - Vicious 21-29
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 04:33:58 PM by Ramon »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2023, 07:04:36 PM »
Managed to skim through the recordings. A few notes:

Stairs bro: Interesting alternative solution which I'd argue is trickier than the intended one.
Merge Sort: Interesting to see you struggle, and somehow finding a solution without fully understanding why it works. There's a key observation about merging (which I thought was obvious, but seeing different people struggle I guess it's not) which, once realized, makes it very clear where and when to place the miners.
Downpour: Used to have timed bombers, so I set the requirement low to make the level not too annoying. Now with instant bombers, it's quite trivial so maybe the save requirement could be raised a bit.
Impetus, Prelude, Lix Cannon: Look like backroutes?

regarding Lix Cannon;
I think the video is past 14 days, I can't find it anymore, could you describe his solution?  I don't remember seeing anything that felt extremely backrouty; just a slight difference in placement of 1 skill but the same general idea is realized, I think. (If memory serves). Don't know offhand how to fix this anyway.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2023, 09:03:30 PM »
I think the video is past 14 days, I can't find it anymore, could you describe his solution?  I don't remember seeing anything that felt extremely backrouty; just a slight difference in placement of 1 skill but the same general idea is realized, I think. (If memory serves). Don't know offhand how to fix this anyway.

Here's a direct link to the start of Lix Cannon: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1676239560?t=00h38m06s

I highlight all my vods so they should be permanent; you can find all the links in my first post of this thread.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2023, 11:49:38 PM »

Here's a direct link to the start of Lix Cannon: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1676239560?t=00h38m06s

I highlight all my vods so they should be permanent; you can find all the links in my first post of this thread.

ah thanks! Yes; as I said, imho I don't see a huge difference. Actually considering the original (which has no cuber but a blocker and digger) this solution is closer to what's done there.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2023, 01:36:41 PM »
Episode 10 is up: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1709098362 -- Vicious 23 + Vicious 30-40

I felt like I made good progress here, though I actually had a little help from chat with fresh ideas and perspectives. One or two levels felt backroute-y (especially Theresa). I will be going back to the fixed levels after going through the pack, I believe.