Author Topic: Were there any patches released for Lemmings 95 or Lemmings Paintball?  (Read 5080 times)

Offline vatten

• View Profile
Overall Lemmings 95 works well on Windows 10 but the scrolling messages on the main menu and the fast-forward feature in-game run too quickly. Perhaps they are tied to the frame rate.

Also, are there any additional level packs for Lemmings 95?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 04:15:36 AM by vatten »

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hi vatten,

Welcome to the Forums! :thumbsup: I never played all of Lemmings for Windows 95, but I have played some of it to know that fast forward is way too fast on modern machines such that you don't ever see the lemmings make the long walk in between and upon engaging it it will simply end the level. AFAIK, there has never been a patch to address this. Thus, fast forward works properly only on very old, slow machines. For that reason, it is advised that you don't engage FF until you have all of the path ready AND you're absolutely certain that the crowd won't get into danger along the way. Obviously this is where it would help on those levels where there's a lot of building involved, but unfortunately you won't be able to engage it even once while playing those levels, or any level for that matter.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline vatten

• View Profile
Hi kaywhyn
Thank you for your reply and helpful tips.

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: Were there any patches released for Lemmings 95 or Lemmings Paintball?
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 06:43:14 PM »
Hi vatten,

Welcome to LF! To add to kaywhyn's comments, I'd strongly recommend SuperLemmx as a way to enjoy Windows 95-style Lemmings on a modern PC. The graphics are basically identical, but the levels all have missing water objects restored as well as the horns on the fire exit.

Gameplay is also more or less idential, but the Fast Forward button works as expected, and there are a number of other QOL features (including replay saving) which make it an overall much better gameplay experience.

Give it a try!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 04:17:17 AM by WillLem »

Offline vatten

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 07:55:34 AM »
Hi vatten,

Welcome to LF! To add to kaywhyn's comments, I'd strongly recommend SuperLemminiToo as a way to enjoy Windows 95-style Lemmings on a modern PC. The graphics are basically identical, but the levels all have missing water objects restored as well as the horns on the fire exit.

Gameplay is also more or less idential, but the Fast Forward button works as expected, and there are a number of other QOL features (including replay saving) which make it an overall much better gameplay experience.

Give it a try!

Thank you WillLem
I will check it out :)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 08:19:17 AM »
I have been able to use FF on fast pc's by rapidly pressing the button twice on the keyboard. Sometimes it'd still go too far, but then you can just use the replay to get back up to where you were... by rapidly pressing the forward button twice a few times. :P
If I recall correctly, Lemmings 95 uses the same level format as the original Lemmings. Have you tried using Lemmix packs? I'd try it myself, but I should get to studying... :D

Overall Lemmings 95 works well on Windows 10 but the scrolling messages on the main menu and the fast-forward feature in-game run too quickly. Perhaps they are tied to the frame rate.

Also, are there any additional level packs for Lemmings 95?

Hi vatten,

Welcome to the Forums! :thumbsup: I never played all of Lemmings for Windows 95, but I have played some of it to know that fast forward is way too fast on modern machines such that you don't ever see the lemmings make the long walk in between and upon engaging it it will simply end the level. AFAIK, there has never been a patch to address this. Thus, fast forward works properly only on very old, slow machines. For that reason, it is advised that you don't engage FF until you have all of the path ready AND you're absolutely certain that the crowd won't get into danger along the way. Obviously this is where it would help on those levels where there's a lot of building involved, but unfortunately you won't be able to engage it even once while playing those levels, or any level for that matter.

Hello
There is some common interest in this stuff from the vintage computing community. It seems Lemmings 95 may have been tested for a 486dx-33 as on such a machine the fast forward runs at an appropriate speed. If you can use a hex editor and your LEMMINGS.EXE is the one is the one dated Jan 15th, 1996 and is 133,120 bytes long you can patch it yourself to run fast forward mode at 2x speed instead of as fast as the computer can go:

at 0x3251: change 75 1C to 90 90
at 0x32c1: change 74 to EB
at 0x2b42: change 64 to CC
at 0x2b46: change 00 to 50
at 0x2b51: change 64 to CC
at 0x2b57: change 01 to 78 [for double speed. or use 65 for 1.5x speed]
at 0x2b59: change 64 to CC

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
This works! (I have attached the edited EXE file to save you all the work)

The intro banner and some other things are still fast, but the gameplay is great.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
One last attachment.

I didn't find 2x speed to be fast enough so I edited it again to be 4x.
...Jeremy Kapp