Author Topic: DireKrow's Feedback (0.0.6.1 Builders)  (Read 1680 times)

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile
DireKrow's Feedback (0.0.6.1 Builders)
« on: January 23, 2022, 02:57:19 AM »
It was requested that feedback be split up a little, so here's a new thread for the new update, focused on builders.

I want to commend what I've seen of them so far. I expected builders to be tough to implement, but you've knocked it out of the park already. I did find some quirks, but some of them turned out to be L3D accurate ones. Talked about those on the discord.

Image 1 (click to show/hide)

- If you quickly assign a builder to a shrugger, they'll place the next tile directly above the last tile from their previous build, resulting in the double step shown here. They should instead walk forward and place the next tile, extending the bridge along the same trajectory.

Images 2 (click to show/hide)

- As seen in the first pic, building into a ceiling in Loap causes the builder and all subsequent lemmings to get stuck in the ceiling until the top tile is destroyed. In L3D, as shown in the second pic, once a builder is one block away from a ceiling, they will attempt to place the next tile but fail and turn around. A 1 block wide gap is left there and lemmings can freely walk through.

Images 3 (click to show/hide)

- In the first screenshot, you can assign a lemming to be a blocker after they've placed the next tile but before they step up onto it, creating the situation shown. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I'll note you can't do this in L3D, as trying to assign a blocker at that moment will be met with an "uh uh!". Intended?

- The second screenshot shows that if the edge of a tile is in the middle of a block rather than the edge, assigning the builder as a blocker/turner will cause them to cancel their build and walk off. You can't do this in L3D, as trying to assign a builder that is in the "first half" of a block as a blocker/turner is met with an "uh uh!". I actually like the L3D behavior, because it acts as a failsafe to prevent you from wasting blockers/turners, because eyeballing the exact alignment of a builder can be quite difficult at times. Also, this new behavior may create backroutes, since it's a new and relatively cheap way to cancel a builder early.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 03:42:42 AM by DireKrow »
LOTY 2020 Winner
My NeoLemmix Levels: The Krow Files (File A v1.2 released 21-Feb-2020)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: DireKrow's Feedback (0.0.6.1 Builders)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 07:14:56 AM »
The first two are resolved in the latest code. I'm okay with the behavior in the third one unless specific situations that it's a problem for come to mind?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)