Author Topic: NL installer is considered deprecated.  (Read 3981 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
NL installer is considered deprecated.
« on: July 27, 2021, 07:04:55 PM »
For those who don't know what I'm talking about, you can simply ignore this post.

For the others - especially given that NL no longer requires downloading the styles seperately from the game itself, there is little purpose to the installer anymore. Yes, it's convenient for packs, but this relies on me manually updating links, which in turn generally relied on people informing me when the links change - which very few people actually bothered to do (or perhaps, did not realise that eg. if you replace an attachment on a post, the new file has a new link).

I have unstickied the installer a long time ago now, and to be honest I'm not sure how people are still finding it. I have still been receiving occasional requests to add / update packs in it, so I'm making this post to make two things clear to everyone - firstly, that said list is no longer being updated, and secondly, that the installer may stop working altogether at any time.

To download NeoLemmix itself, download the ZIP and extract. The editor is a single EXE file that should go in the same folder as NeoLemmix. You can use the in-game style manager for any styles you want (or else, the all-styles ZIP is still available for those who prefer it - though do keep in mind it may be slightly out-of-date compared to the style manager, usually only by a couple of weeks at most). As for packs, that does have to be done manually - but if creators are following recommendations, the ZIP file will also be set up so you can extract it directly to your NL base directory.

I might look at reviving the installer in some form once NL reaches a final version, or at least very close to it - likely without the pack downloading feature for the most part, though possibly with an option as to whether or not Redux and/or Intro Pack are downloaded. (I could also include Lemmings Plus without the technical issues, but I feel that would be giving special status to my own packs without good reason, whereas Redux and Intro can be justified as special cases.)

(Yes, it does pick up the newer versions of NL itself - this is because when it connects to the server to check what downloads are available, the server is configured to always give it the newest NL version, not a specific exact version.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 07:20:15 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: NL installer is considered deprecated.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 02:19:21 AM »
I have unstickied the installer a long time ago now, and to be honest I'm not sure how people are still finding it.

Mysteries and conspiracies... I'll blow the lid off the mysterious mystery how people still find the installer:

It's the biggest, most obvious thing to click directly on neolemmix.com.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 02:29:59 AM by Simon »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 06:31:48 AM »
Ah, duh.

I need to give that site one hell of an overhaul at some point, really... or at least an update. The downloads are very up to date as that's where they're hosted, but everything else about the site tends to be fairly neglected.

For now, I've replaced that with a "Download NeoLemmix" link. (This link will always download the latest stable version, and doesn't need to be manually updated for new versions.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 06:39:44 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 10:40:40 PM »
I don't quite even remember this existing :D :D :lix-laugh: :lix-laugh:
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 12:47:44 AM »
Right, it's good to offer the game download. The game can fetch a lot itself afterwards.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 06:39:19 PM »
Right, it's good to offer the game download. The game can fetch a lot itself afterwards.

-- Simon

The game comes packaged with NeoLemmix Introduction Pack (which requires further style downloads after the first rank, but all of them are within what the in-game manager can acquire) and Redux (no additional downloads required, either automated or otherwise), too, so players can get started out-of-the-box.
My Lemmings projects