Author Topic: Custlemm Level Pack Topic  (Read 93241 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Custlemm Level Pack Topic
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 01:49:48 PM »
How do you open up a CustLemm pack and have it default to the CustLemm style instead of ONML style? (Never mind, I found the problem. I keep level Packs in a different (nested) directory than the CustLemm directory, so I guess it just does not count those as being in the CustLemm directory. A way around this or an answer to #2 would be nice though.)

That's a good point, the assumption that levels are always in the same directory as the game doesn't quite work in practice for CustLemm levels.̆ Perhaps Eric should make CustLemm the default (possibly a user-define option) when level is not in any of the game directories.

@Shvegait:̆ you can override it as follows:̆ in the levelpack window (the one that lists the levels inside a DAT file), right-click to bring up a menu, and select "Change viewer style...".̆ Then select "Custom Lemmings" from the drop-down list (click on the button with the triangle pointing down, then scroll list to bottom and select).

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 02:37:22 PM »
First you have to know that the dospackeditor cannot know from a dospack or raw LVL file, for which dos-lemmings it was created.

All Lemmix can do is a educated guess so: when the levelpack is in one of the "main directories" (Style CommonPath in inifile), it assumes the levelpack belongs to this style and changes the "viewer style".

If this educated guess leads to nothing, the style is used which was used when you opened the window the last time. See Lemmix.ini
DosPackPreviewStyleName=DosOhNo

How beautiful life would be if DMA had reserved some space for a version in the LVL format....

You can store your levelpacks anywhere you want. Changing is done with the popupmenu, as ccexplore already explained.

A good idea is to make the what_style_to_use_if_nothing_appropriate_found user defined.

The graphicset, when a level is opened, can not be changed.
The style, however, can. If the style is changed, Lemmix tries to find a graphicset with the same internal name and assign this to the level. If not found then error.

I Hope it's a bit more clear now.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2006, 02:56:17 PM »
Yeah, mostly I didn't know about the right-click menu, wasn't obvious to me to try that. But I got it working no problem  :smiley:

tseug

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 11:41:08 PM »
I found the problem... VGAGR0-4.DAT were read-only.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 06:15:03 AM »
I found the problem... VGAGR0-4.DAT were read-only.

Ah yes, I remember now how if I'm playing a level in Lemmings, Lemmix cannot open the same level and complained something about the style.̆ Or maybe it's the other way around, I don't recall exactly.̆ Either way, Lemmix is probably over-specifying the types of access it needs when opening the level, and perhaps leaving the file opened for way too long after loading it to memory.

Eric, does Delphi provide a way for you to specify opening a file for reading only?̆ You might also want to check whether you closed the file at some point after finishing loading it.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 07:48:27 AM »
I fixed the "read-only" problem. The VgaGr-files were opened with read and write access, I don't why. I'll upload a new alpha this week.
(So the answer to the Delphi-related question is yes)
It's a habit of mine to close a file immediately, when not needed anymore, so I am 99% sure no files are opened by Lemmix (even when editing a dos-levelpack, everything happens in memory). But... There is some old code I have to check (or change :))

I think it is more handy if these kind of things are put in the Lemmix-thread (or by mail) instead of spreaded out all over the forum, where it is more difficult to find.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 10:48:20 AM »
My pack is done.

I got a little addicted into it.̆ I have solved 3 of the levels so far, though I did them in Lemmix:̆ Slipping, The Gr8 Escape, Rush Hour.

If you want, I guess I can send you my replays for the ones I've solved.

[edit:̆ also solved "Not Quite..."]

[edit2: also solved "Stuff In The Way".̆ Great level!̆ I think this one is my favorite so far.]

[edit3: just solved "NULL".̆ You'd think I would solve this one more quickly, but tseug did a fairly good job with the level making me try things that doesn't work.]

[edit4: apparently I didn't have the updated version of the level pack, and my solution for Rush Hour doesn't work on the updated version.̆ So I'll have to re-solve this one.]

[edit5: re-solved "Rush Hour", I think I have the intended solution this time.̆ Dammit, guess not.̆:XD: Downloading v2 now......]

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2006, 01:04:49 PM »
I just managed to solve Rush Hour as well. Looks very backrouteish though. I'll send the recording. Apart from that, just in case anyway wants to know, the other five levels I had solved were the first five.

ccexplore, other thread:
I just take a quick look at tseug's levelpak and there it is, one level that uses the very idea I have for one of my own.  Worse, he made it way too obvious.
Which level do you mean? (Or is it secret, again?)

btw, which levels of my second pack did you (I mean, anyone) solve?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2006, 01:52:26 PM »
Which level do you mean? (Or is it secret, again?)

btw, which levels of my second pack did you (I mean, anyone) solve?

I already PMed tseug about that; sorry but I don't think you really need to know. :devil: I should add that I haven't actually successfully solved the level I'm referring to yet (due to running out of time).

As for your second pack, I'm sorry to say I completely forgotten about it! :sorry:̆ I'll take a look after I finished tseug's.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2006, 02:47:51 PM »
I already PMed tseug about that; sorry but I don't think you really need to know. :devil: I should add that I haven't actually successfully solved the level I'm referring to yet (due to running out of time).
I suspect it might be one in the fire style...or maybe not? Does that even make sense? Anyway, do I know the trick (don't mind me asking questions infamously...)? (Bah, running out of time seems to be possible almost everywhere...)

As for your second pack, I'm sorry to say I completely forgotten about it! :sorry:  I'll take a look after I finished tseug's.
That might take some time...or probably not, according to the speed you solved the previous levels in, and from what I know about your skill level.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm an Outdoor Lemming now!

EDIT2: Great! Stuff in the Way done as well! Might be intended solution.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2006, 08:49:22 PM »
I suspect it might be one in the fire style...or maybe not? Does that even make sense? Anyway, do I know the trick (don't mind me asking questions infamously...)? (Bah, running out of time seems to be possible almost everywhere...)

Alright, tell you what:̆ PM me what you have in mind and I'll confirm whether it's what I have in mind.̆ Just this one guess though; if your guess is wrong, no further guesses or hints.

tseug

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2006, 11:43:04 PM »
My pack is done.

I got a little addicted into it.  I have solved 3 of the levels so far, though I did them in Lemmix:  Slipping, The Gr8 Escape, Rush Hour.

If you want, I guess I can send you my replays for the ones I've solved.

[edit:  also solved "Not Quite..."]

[edit2: also solved "Stuff In The Way".  Great level!  I think this one is my favorite so far.]

I'd like to see your solution for Rush Hour. You solved it seemingly a little too quickly... but since you're using Lemmix you could have executed the intended solution. I had a lot of problems with backroutes in Rush Hour, mostly involving steel glitches.

"Stuff In The Way" is designed to have lots of red herrings and an unusual solution. Judging by your comment your solution is probably intended. :wink:

EDIT: Actually just send me replays for all the ones you've solved, just so I can make sure.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2006, 06:49:16 PM »
Alright, tell you what:  PM me what you have in mind and I'll confirm whether it's what I have in mind.  Just this one guess though; if your guess is wrong, no further guesses or hints.
Thank you for the offer, but I think I won't take it. The point is, I'm just asking out of curiosity, with the goal to find out whether I have to expect a trick I don't know of; just that fact would be of interest for me. In case you don't think that it would give too much away, the only thing I'd like to know is whether you think that I know the trick already. I might spoil my fun for trying your level later (in case it wouldn't take that long for you to get your set ready that I already would have forgotten about the it  :wink:) if I find out the exact trick.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2006, 07:39:49 PM »
The point is, I'm just asking out of curiosity, with the goal to find out whether I have to expect a trick I don't know of

After the reply from tseug on my PM, I'm pretty sure that you know the trick already since it's one of the levels you solved, and what I have in mind for the level tseug confirmed is the intended solution method.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2006, 08:42:24 PM »
Thank you, but with the explanations of the reasons for your thoughts you actually gave more away than you could have. Anyway, I still don't know the exact trick and I neither want to, I just know that I either already used the trick in one of my levels, or intended to do so but tseug beat me to it with one of his.

btw, trying around a bit on NULL, my best try loses 3 lemmings. The point is, it uses some nice ideas I could use in future levels.

EDIT: Solved More Steel Works.