Author Topic: Festival Millas 2020 - Release Thread  (Read 6352 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Festival Millas 2020 - Release Thread
« on: December 25, 2020, 02:53:24 AM »
This time before Christmas (at least in my timezone) its...

Featuring 4 (mostly 3) new sets, across not 32, not 40, but  55* new levels to play for the holiday season
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This year the ranks are Themed after Kanji in DDR's Difficulty, Raku is the easiest to hop into featuring 10 levels to play through. Welcome Midnight Formosaga

The rank's level count rises as you go, Odori is were things get tricky, having 12 levels to tackle

Lets make things Heavy! Geki has 15 levels to Break Through, Welcome Clockwork Kishuya!

Demon's Puzzles Arise in this rank, Containing 18 levels (and 1 Credits level) featuring the pack's hardest levels yet! Welcome Lilac's Treehouse

Downloads
Download for the Pack and the Graphic Sets (You'll need these both)
Music Pack (Sorry that its kinda big)

Credits

Music Credits

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
Re: Festival Millas 2020 - Release Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 01:10:12 PM »
First two rank solved!

I think this is the first time I play your level.
These tileset looks awesome!
I have some leftover skills for most of the levels.
I might have backrouted some of them or they are just open-ended.
My favourite level is Odori12, final level of the rank.

Replay attached :D

And I think you are very good at making levels featuring neutrals or/and zombies.
Why not make a level for level design contest? :P This time we have a rule that requires you to use both neutrals and zombies.
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 11:56:31 AM »
Solved remaining levels.
There are so many nice levels is this batch :thumbsup:
And the difficulty of the last two rank is quite high.

My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 09:33:08 PM »
I'll be happy to take a look at some of these replays in a bit, been on a bit of a break because my level making drive is low right now
Geki13 On the Fence : I guess this one is not intended? I think you can easily block my backroute by lowering splat pad a little bit.
by how many pixels might I ask?

I'll probably go over why I haven't been able to get started with fixes quite yet in another topic.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 09:40:51 AM »
Hello Gigalem/Plom510/Nessy,

I have solved all of the pack and attached my replays. Also, I did an LP of it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbp2m4KlFpJukWa3dz3YcGBfCLXD__tE4. Enjoy! :P

General Feedback

FM2020 is the third holiday pack in the series, after FM2018 and FM2019, both of which I've already played from a while back. According to the dates, I didn't start this one until well after a year I did FM2019. Hopefully it doesn't take me too long after to play through FM2021, but we shall see :laugh:

As usual, this pack contains levels by Gigalem, Plom510, and Nessy. The pack mostly starts off with levels from Plom510, but slowly gravitates towards mostly Gigalem levels near the end. There are also some levels here and there by Nessy, though nowhere near as much as either Gigalem or Plom510.

As stated in the OP, there are 56 levels, 55 main ones for the pack and one credits level thanking various people who contributed to the making of the pack. Even though I severely backrouted plenty of the levels, especially in the later ranks, I still enjoyed this pack very much :thumbsup: I definitely noticed the steeper increase in the difficulty in contrast to the previous two packs, though I found FM2018 more challenging than FM2019 even though they both have the same number of levels, 32. Then we go back to hard with FM2020, though this is justified due to having more levels than either of the previous two packs, 55.

The number of levels in the ranks are also unequal. The first rank of Raku has 10 levels, then Odori has 12, then Geku has 15, and finally Oni has 19 (18 main levels and the credits level).

The main gripe and criticism I have is that with some of the tilesets it is very easy to mistake solid terrain for background or vice versa. Don't get me wrong, the graphic sets are fantastic, but there's some things that aren't too discernible without turning on CPM or, in my case as I don't play with CPM in my LPs, without sending someone over there to see if it's actually solid or background. I originally thought it was due to the my old age and bad eyes, but no, they aren't as discernible in some cases. For example, in Raku 4, I mistook the bench for solid but it's actually background. Similarly, in the next level, I mistook the lamppost for solid but again it's background, and the different shading in the snow can easily be mistaken for either one. Finally, in Odori 7 I thought the square window pieces with the petals and the thin black lines was all solid, but in actuality the background sky filled in the rest of it. I'm wondering if the background isn't dark enough, though in this case it can't be too dark or it will blend in with the solid thin black lines. I think this is why Gigalem was planning an overhaul of the graphic sets to address these issues, but it all depends on when he can get to doing so.

Despite the potential for confusion with solid terrain with background or vice versa, I can still highly recommend others to give this pack a go! :thumbsup: It's definitely harder than either of the previous FM packs, especially in the final two ranks, but as you already know by this point I love hard levels in the game of Lemmings, as they're the type I like a lot.

Raku Rank Feedback

The first rank of the pack, these levels weren't too much trouble, and I don't think others will have many problems with them either. I will note that the first level might be a bit too precise. It's possible that I might had overcomplicated it, though. Also, I think the candle can easily be mistaken for solid because it doesn't appear to be background but it actually is.

Odori Rank Feedback

The second rank of the pack, these levels are a little more challenging than the ones in the previous rank. Once again, I would have to say that the first level might be a bit too hard to begin the rank. Then again, I said that for all the rank starters of the pack :P Some great levels here too!

Geki Rank Feedback

The penultimate rank, these levels are a big jump in difficulty from the previous two ranks. These levels are sure to test anyone hard. As usual, some great levels in this rank!

Oni Rank Feedback

The final rank, these are sure to contain the hardest levels of the pack. Indeed, I found a lot of them very hard but quite decent challenges. Also, I agree with a lot of the feedback Armani gave for the Geku and Oni ranks ;)

Thanks gentlemen for this pack! :thumbsup: Probably the best FM pack I've played thus far! I look forward to FM2021 and FM2022 when I get to them :)     
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 10:54:43 AM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0