Author Topic: Cheapo or Custlemm?  (Read 11380 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Cheapo or Custlemm?
« on: February 09, 2006, 01:35:39 AM »
Which is better in YOUR opinion, and why?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Cheapo or Custlemm?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 03:14:46 AM »
The current state of affairs is kinda unfair in one way: &#A0;since CustLemm is already more popular here, there's more incentive for people to use it over Cheapo: &#A0;more levels available, and your levels will be played more by others.

I'm still dreaming that one day we may achieve the best of both worlds.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 05:33:39 AM »
Dimwits! For obvious reasons. [smiley=smiley.gif] Even though it's vaporware at the moment.

When I joined the boards over a year ago, Cheapo was more popular. Kind of interesting that it's shifted back the other way.

JM

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 10:14:48 AM »
I love Custlemm more. It's even better now with the vgaspec program and now you can make your own extended graphics sets for it  :)

Also if you use the crystal graphics you can get invisible terrain.

These are some tricks in Custlemm that have also been discovered.

Miner glitches
Sliding glitches
Blockers turning fallers
Reverse bashing steel
Forcing a step through the wall when building
Hitting the nuke button when 1 lemming is out and when he enters the exit it says you save 100%
And there's a few more tricks I can't remember

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 10:42:29 AM »
Cheapo has its fair share of glitches too, but in my view that's entirely a bad feature.

I vote for Cheapo, of course. It's more versatile -- you can create your own styles with your own traps and objects, you can make vertical-scrolling levels, and the time limit needn't be a whole number of minutes. You also have a much wider choice of music, though of course that depends on the style. And the "instant replay" function makes testing really hard levels like Zorn's Lemming much, much less frustrating.

Leviathan

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 12:05:25 PM »
Altough I haven't played cheapo yet,I voted for CustLem...

CustLem has the behaviour of the original lemmings,thus making it much more original to me.

If I find a working version of cheapo somewhere with all required files and styles I'dd be glad to try Cheapo tough...

MC Marshy

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 03:04:49 PM »
Leviathan you still haven't finished your 4th pack. I took a look at the demo of the pack and I can't seem to pass any levels at the minute. What day will it be fully complete?

Leviathan

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 04:47:08 PM »
Altough this isn't the right topic to discuss this,I'll answer that question: Someone is trying out levels for backroutes,and I need to modify a few levels too.I'm more focussing on the remake at the moment.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 08:33:15 PM »
Difficult to answer.

I like CustLemm as it is the original way to play the original Lemmings levels made by fans with the original graphics sets. And now, it is possible to make our own special graphic levels.

Cheapo is good too, but isn't the "very" same thing. For Cheapo, I think we pass much of the time to make our own graphics, traps and lemmings instead of building the levels. Also, the editor isn't easy like LemEdit and doesn't have an Undo feature where it could become very annoying. But the fact that we could make everything possible is really cool!

So, I don't know... Both are good, but I think I would prefer CustLemm and LemEdit because it's now the only editor I worked much of the time with.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Isu 2006

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 12:56:39 AM »
Does the Megadrive version count? ;)

I think I much rather prefer Cheapo, probably for the same reason as Dragonslover prefers Custlemm. Most of my levels are for cheapo and I have more experience using the editor. However, Custlemm is still rather foreign to me.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 10:30:23 AM »
How much longer do we have to wait before the poll results are revealed?

MC Marshy

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 01:09:30 PM »
Custlemm is the best. I don't know anything about cheapo so I'll stick to Custlemm  ;)

drumnbach

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 02:21:36 PM »
I prefer Custlemm's level designing software. However, I was never able to get DOS Lemmings to work on my old Dell laptop, so I had to resort to using Cheapo. So I vote Cheapo, even though Custlemm might be better.

Jazzem

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 03:57:02 PM »
I haven't had much time with Cheapo so my vote may be a bit biased, but I vote for Custlemm. It's easy to use, takes no time at all to get started and has that lemmings feel about it, your levels really do feel as if they've been created for the original game.

Sadly I'm very lazy when it comes to this sort of thing, so my pak's had practically no progress done. Teenage kicks :P

tseug

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 12:05:13 AM »
Quote from: Jazzem link=1139448940/0#13 date=1140710222
Sadly I'm very lazy when it comes to this sort of thing, so my pak's had practically no progress done. Teenage kicks :P
You're making a pack? It probably won't take as long as mine.... ;)