Author Topic: NeoLemmix V12.9.4, Editor V1.29 released [Editor updated!]  (Read 13998 times)

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.2, Editor V1.23 Released
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2020, 11:42:45 PM »
Ohhhhh that’s probably why I’ll get the new styles folder and see if it works

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 12:45:10 AM »
So it worked. But then after I went onto neolemmix and tried some levels to see if the error was still there. I went out of neolemmix then later went back to it but when it tried to use the neolemmix application an error message appeared saying “Not a valid PNG file.” What do you mean not a valid PNG file? Last time I checked, neolemmix isn’t supposed to be an image.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2020, 01:01:51 AM »
It means that a PNG file NeoLemmix is trying to open, is corrupted. Most likely this is a menu graphic from whatever pack was selected last time NL was run, if it's happening immediately upon startup. Do you know which pack this might be? (Your settings INI might be able to help point towards this.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2020, 01:34:38 AM »
Actually yes, I do know what pack it would be. I don't think it really matters which one it is but it's one I never really played so I guess I can get rid of it and get it back if I feel like playing it. So I'll get rid of the pack, and then see if the error still occurs.
Edit: I got rid of all the packs I never played and I might get them back at a later date, but the error is still happening. So clearly I haven't gotten rid of the corrupted PNG file yet.
Edit 2: So I think I found the corrupted file. It's in my own in development pack Shmolems. It's a rank graphic specifically so I'll just get rid of it and re-create it later. I find it fun to make graphics for my pack anyway so no trouble. If the error still occurs, I'll look for another corrupted file.
Edit 3: So getting rid of the rank graphic worked! Everything works fine now. Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 01:52:27 AM by Shmolem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.2, Editor V1.24 Released
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 01:57:14 AM »
Uploaded editor V1.24.

This fixes some issues relating to the level ID, as well as a bug relating to deleting talismans.

https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=428

(For those of you following Discord - this update does not yet enable piece grouping. That should be coming, now, but it isn't here yet.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.2, Editor V1.25 Released
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2020, 07:55:45 PM »
Editor V1.25 stable released. There are no changes from the experimental V1.25 except that it no longer says "Experimental" in the About popup - no issues arose while it was posted as an experimental, so seems safe to release.

The only change from V1.24 is that piece grouping is now supported. This does not require a new NL version to support it - NL has supported piece grouping for a long time now, there was just never editor support to go with it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.3, Editor V1.25 Released
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2020, 12:42:08 AM »
NeoLemmix V12.9.3 released. The only change is that a bug relating to the CursorResize setting is fixed. If you aren't specifically aware that this bug affects you, it probably doesn't, so if you're on V12.9.2 and not affected by this bug, it's purely your choice whether or not you upgrade.

The attached ZIP can be used to updated from any V12.9.X stable release, to V12.9.3.

EDIT: Reuploaded 2020/08/29 to include a Jumper sketch.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 09:57:02 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2020, 07:24:10 PM »
Due to certain bugs discovered in V1.25, I've put the link for V1.24 back in the original post. (The link for V1.25 is also there but I recommend treating it as an experimental again.)

I have to say - I am very annoyed that after this being available as an experimental for over a month, no one found either of two major bugs that have now come up, and yet they were uncovered within two days of stable release. This leads me to believe that what I interpreted as "no one is having problems with this experimental" was actually "no one has bothered to test this experimental".

Please keep in mind that I am spending less and less time on Lemmings these days because I have other projects I'm trying to work on too. While I do some testing, there's only so much I can catch myself, and this is why experimentals exist - so that the community can assist with testing and help find these bugs. If the community is not willing to help with such testing, then the only alternative is that I stop introducing new features unless they're so simple that they very likely cannot have bugs - and certianly, things like new skills and new object types are out of the question.

I'm not putting any promises on when I'll fix this - if it wasn't important enough to the community for anyone to test it, it isn't important enough for me to make a huge rush to fix either. However, I do strongly advise going back to V1.24 unless you are specifically using V1.25 for the purpose of bug testing.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 07:34:17 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2020, 07:53:59 PM »
and im quite annoyed that you are making some assumptions there, firstly i hadnt noticed any problems with the version until now because i had never used the erase feature before and didnt even know what it was.  I also had not used the grouping feature as i hadnt seen the benefit of it for me and I dont think i have enough knowledge for testing of experimental things so i never get beta versions.  Secondly i assumed it was a problem with my computer or something i was doing wrong and only reported it as a bug cos Icho suggested I do so.

so i think its a bit impolite to suggest people are not willing to help, maybe its that people, like myself arent sure they can help, i mean look at my bug report I dont even explain it that well

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2020, 07:55:47 PM »
and im quite annoyed that you are making some assumptions there, firstly i hadnt noticed any problems with the version until now because i had never used the erase feature before and didnt even know what it was.  I also had not used the grouping feature as i hadnt seen the benefit of it for me and I dont think i have enough knowledge for testing of experimental things so i never get beta versions.  Secondly i assumed it was a problem with my computer or something i was doing wrong and only reported it as a bug cos Icho suggested I do so.

That's addressed to the community as a whole, not specifically to the person who found the bug or any other individual user.
My Lemmings projects

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2020, 08:09:45 PM »

That's addressed to the community as a whole, not specifically to the person who found the bug or any other individual user.

that maybe so but I'm a member of that community which means it is addressed to me as well as everyone else and i felt i had to put across my POV

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2020, 09:37:44 PM »
that maybe so but I'm a member of that community which means it is addressed to me as well as everyone else and i felt i had to put across my POV

You stated earlier that you used the experimental and just missed the bugs as you did not used certain features, so that message is not directed at you - you tested it.

Namida is right right to apell at the community though, as the reason we have the experimental version is that we catch critical bugs like the ones we found before the main release. If nobody tries the experimental it is pointless to create those in the first case.

Personally I just tested the grouping feature of the experimental only in throwaway levels -- no saving and reopening -- and that's why I missed the bugs. So for future experimental versions we should keep an eye on if saving, closing and reloading messes anything up. :)

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2020, 03:11:22 PM »
im still not totally convinced that the erasing part of the bug is actually bug rather than just me someone would need to try and recreate it to be sure, ditto with not being able to copy and paste between levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2020, 08:00:48 PM »
im still not totally convinced that the erasing part of the bug is actually bug rather than just me someone would need to try and recreate it to be sure, ditto with not being able to copy and paste between levels

A "bug" simply means the app is not behaving as it is intended (by the developer) to do so. If I were to decide (as the developer) for example "okay no, I don't want copy/pasting between levels to work, I want it to give an error message instead", then it wouldn't be a bug - because as annoying as the behaviour might be, it's what I've specifically decided I want the editor to do. But no matter how obvious it should be, or how important (or not) it is - if it's an unintended and undesired behaviour, it's a bug.
My Lemmings projects

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2020, 08:16:53 PM »

A "bug" simply means the app is not behaving as it is intended (by the developer) to do so. If I were to decide (as the developer) for example "okay no, I don't want copy/pasting between levels to work, I want it to give an error message instead", then it wouldn't be a bug - because as annoying as the behaviour might be, it's what I've specifically decided I want the editor to do. But no matter how obvious it should be, or how important (or not) it is - if it's an unintended and undesired behaviour, it's a bug.

ok but maybe its only me having the issue