Author Topic: [DISC.][PLAYER] Is there anything that needs to change about the formats?  (Read 1077 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
For example - any current way of doing things that seems like it could be better, etc?

The reason I ask this is that I want to set a goal with regards to the "final version" target - specifically, that after V12.10.0's release, format changes will be limited to only two specific kinds of changes:
- Removing support for features that, as of V12.10.X or earlier, were already deprecated (no new deprecations after 12.10)
- Adding support for new features that didn't exist as of V12.10.X

In other words - if a level or style etc works in the "final version", it should also work in V12.10.0, unless it specifically relies on a feature (not just a format change) that wasn't yet present in V12.10.0.

So - this isn't about, for example, "we need a way to specify that a level uses wrap, in case that feature gets introduced". It's more for things like (this is more an example than a serious suggestion) "I think the keyword for a level's name should be NAME rather than TITLE".

And of course - this doesn't mean every single suggestion that comes up will be implemented. I suspect few if any will; it's just about at least making sure they've been considered and consciously decided against, rather than never thought about in the first place.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
I would suggest that the default order of information in a level file should be level info and dimensions, preview/postview texts, save requirement and skillset, talismans, then objects and terrain, rather than having the texts and talismans at the end.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I would suggest that the default order of information in a level file should be level info and dimensions, preview/postview texts, save requirement and skillset, talismans, then objects and terrain, rather than having the texts and talismans at the end.

I agree with "texts and talismans before objects and terrain", not so much the exact order you've got all the pre-terrains/objects things in. At any rate though: This is fine, the NXLV format is not sensitive to the order of these things, so it'd just be a change in the order the editor / etc save them in, it wouldn't actually break compatibility in any way.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)