Author Topic: Lemmings re-make  (Read 50869 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings re-make
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2006, 06:35:02 PM »
Wow.  I especially love what you did w/ the traps for "Rhapsody in Blue".  Anyway, that level definitely deserves to be remade.  I would do it myself except I'm having a little bit of a heart attack looking at those embedded crystal pieces in the floor and the mass of overlapping crystals on the ceiling. ;)

I'm having troubles matching level descriptions to screenshots by the way.  For example, isn't the 4th screenshot (counting from top) "Zorn's Lemmings"?  Looking at your list one would think that screenshot is for either "Up on the Roof" or "The Two Towers"  :-?.

Leviathan

« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2006, 06:43:43 PM »
I guess some screenshots apply to 2 levels with different skills and/or little terrain modifications :)

BTW: I can't beat FANL 2 so I can't remake it for now :)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2006, 06:51:14 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1135291547/45#47 date=1135751589
Oh yeah, and music. &#A0;I currently don't know anything about how music is done in DOS Lemmings, and I'm not particularly sure about hacking adlib.dat to change the music, so for the current plan there is 2 choices:
I ended up figuring out adlib.dat over Xmas.  And I succeeded![smiley=party.gif]

It took a little while for me to get this out because it's slightly tedious to edit adlib.dat without writing additional programs, so I needed to spend time first on writing those programs.  But anyway, it's now ready for demo, please download:

http://www.geocities.com/guestlevels/lemmings/smbadlib.zip

Extract smbadlib.dat out of the zip file, then rename it to adlib.dat and copy it to the folder where you have Lemmings, nocdlem, or lemnew, replacing the adlib.dat there (but make a backup of the original adlib.dat first though!).

For demo purpose, this modified adlib.dat replaces the Lemmings1 music with the first 3 measures of the Super Mario Bros theme.  I would do more measures, except at this stage it's still somewhat of a pain to do adlib.dat modifications (ideally in the future I would have some way of starting from a more editable source like MIDI and converting to the adlib.dat format).  Besides, no one has decided what the special graphics levels are, so I'm not committing further hours until I know for sure what "new" music we'd need.

Still, it should be nice to know that the Lemmings music can now be customized.  (Not that we'd need to change any of the 17 music for the normal levels, just the 4 specials. ;))

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2006, 07:56:10 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1135291547/120#120 date=1137522902
I'm having troubles matching level descriptions to screenshots by the way. &#A0;For example, isn't the 4th screenshot (counting from top) "Zorn's Lemmings"? &#A0;Looking at your list one would think that screenshot is for either "Up on the Roof" or "The Two Towers" &#A0;:-?.[/color]
It's "The Two Towers" and "Zorn's Lemming". Each picture goes with the level description(s) underneath it.

(And it's "Zorn's Lemming", not "Lemmings", in spite of there being more than one lemming on the level, because of the pun on Zorn's Lemma.)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2006, 08:49:07 PM »
Also, can you clarify the meaning of the red rectangles we occasionally see on levels? &#A0;I assume they are one-way walls.

JM

« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2006, 08:54:57 PM »
Quote from: JM link=1135291547/105#116 date=1137503822
I've made a level for this Lemmings re-make thing and I've been trying for the past 10 minutes to upload it to The Lemmings File Portal but the page for the file portal won't show up. Please can somebody explain why this is happening thanks?

http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=levelpacks/ACIDBATH.LVL

Now that the file portal is working, you can download the level  :)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2006, 09:24:13 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1135291547/120#124 date=1137530947
Also, can you clarify the meaning of the red rectangles we occasionally see on levels? &#A0;I assume they are one-way walls.
Yes.

Leviathan

« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2006, 10:15:42 PM »
Quote from: JM link=1135291547/120#125 date=1137531297
Quote from: JM link=1135291547/105#116 date=1137503822
I've made a level for this Lemmings re-make thing and I've been trying for the past 10 minutes to upload it to The Lemmings File Portal but the page for the file portal won't show up. Please can somebody explain why this is happening thanks?

http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=levelpacks/ACIDBATH.LVL

Now that the file portal is working, you can download the level &#A0;:)

The level looks nice but there are 2 things that could be changed:

1)The trigger area of the acid is faulty so you should either drop the acid a few pixels down,or raise the terrain next to the axid a few pixels.My builder who started building at the edge of the acid drowned without even touching the acid which is annoying :)

2)You could cut off a number of builders to make the level more challenging

Other than that the level's very fine and would deserve mid-tricky or something :)

JM

« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2006, 10:35:08 PM »
My solution says that as soon as the floater hits the ground he starts building immediately before walking a distance or so.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2006, 10:45:51 PM »
Ok, I got my 'Exit' level ready. It's small (minimum size), therefore you shouldn't need to search for too long. However it shouldn't be too easy to find it.
Download the level, and the style if you don't have it, here:
http://207.58.177.175/~geoo89/lemmings/Exit.set
http://207.58.177.175/~geoo89/lemmings/L3-Classic.sty

Thanks @Arhibar, I'll have a closer look at your levels asap.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2006, 10:53:19 PM »
The pedant in me would like to point out that the H comes before the R; it's pronounced that way too, "A-hri-bar"  8-)

Leviathan

« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2006, 12:19:39 AM »
I've created the first 2 parter for the remake I guess :)

http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=levelpacks/highlvls.dat

It's a pack with 2 levels,level 2 has only one small row of pixels in difference but it's a whole other world of difficulty due to moving a steel block 1 pixel up :)

I'm pretty sure I eliminated the backroutes but I'dd like it to be tested :)

The levels are:

Highway to hell (late fun or begin tricky)
Litter on the highway (mayhem)

tseug

« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2006, 01:16:13 AM »
That is a brilliant way to make a repeat level. Good job! :)

I am in the process of trying to save 100% on the second level. I'm stopping now, I'll continue sometime later tonight.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2006, 01:46:59 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1135291547/120#120 date=1137522902
Wow. &#A0;I especially love what you did w/ the traps for "Rhapsody in Blue". &#A0;Anyway, that level definitely deserves to be remade. &#A0;I would do it myself except I'm having a little bit of a heart attack looking at those embedded crystal pieces in the floor and the mass of overlapping crystals on the ceiling. ;)
I really got into it and have now remade most of that level:

For reference, the original Cheapo version looks like this:

The thin platform added on the left in my screenshot is not meant to be in the level.  I put it there to show what the max safe-fall distance is.  The platform is at the highest elevation that a lemming can safely land falling from top of platform.  Is that all right, or do I need to move parts of the level further up?

As you can see, I'm still a bit stumped dealing with the crystal floor.  It would be extremely helpful if Ahribar can give a general idea of the arrangement of the terrain pieces.  Oh yeah, and I need the starting screen x position.

It's a bit of a shame that LemEdit's crystal set seems to have slightly less vibrant colors compared with Ahribar's crystal  style.

Leviathan

« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2006, 03:51:18 PM »
That level looks really nice :p

Finally I've beaten FANL 2 and it was very satisfying doing so :p

I noticed "total director &#A0;A.T" in the ending credits too :)

By the way,I don't understand what people find so difficult in "final impediment"...I solved it very easily and it even didn't take 2 minutes...even releasing the blocker is very easy if you let him build a few stairs and then set him a blocker ;)